Harwich - Hook of Holland, Night Crossing

DavidKlyne replied on 18/01/2017 15:04

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:04

We have been wondering about a trip to Denmark, although by no means certain at this stage. A convenient crossing would be to cross overnight both ways. Given the times of the crossings, either way, does not seem to give very convenient eating times if onboard catering is used. I just wondered what others usually do when using this crossing. There is, of course the option of eating before boarding and on embarkation but where? We have a 7.5mts motorhome so anywhere we stop has to have suitable and safe parking. I understand there is a cafe in the actual terminal but a report I read on Trip Advisor suggested it closed around 6.00pm in the evening. Is there sufficient parking within the terminal to allow you to wander out of the port to find a suitable place to eat. Any observations or suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

David

eurortraveller replied on 18/01/2017 15:23

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:23

Although the overnight ferry from Harwich doesn't sail until 2200 they start boarding at 2030. Maybe a phone call to customer services asking whether motorhomers like yours go on first so you can rush to the restaurant.......or do they leave motorhomes till last? 

The Harwich  port area seemed to me a fairly desolate place - big, with plenty of parking - but decidedly light on facilities and creature comforts. 

Riba replied on 18/01/2017 15:48

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:23 by eurortraveller

Although the overnight ferry from Harwich doesn't sail until 2200 they start boarding at 2030. Maybe a phone call to customer services asking whether motorhomers like yours go on first so you can rush to the restaurant.......or do they leave motorhomes till last? 

The Harwich  port area seemed to me a fairly desolate place - big, with plenty of parking - but decidedly light on facilities and creature comforts. 

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:48

We've been using the night crossing at Harwich regularly for the last 10yrs and your lucky to be on the ferry before 10.00pm if you have a motorhome or a caravan as they load them last yell

We have given up eating on the outward journey, and now have something to eat at Cambridge services.

greylag replied on 18/01/2017 19:12

Posted on 18/01/2017 19:12

This May we will be using the Harwich ferry for the second time, overnight so that we will be fresh the next morning and raring to go.

At that time of night it will be too late to eat and then go straight to bed, so we will probably have a curry or something similar in our MH, maybe even drive down to Harwich seafront to eat.  There is a nice kerbside promenade down there, no traffic and watch the boats coming and going.

I reckon this is better than a 3.5 hours to Dover, CL overnight and then getting to the ferry, really pleased with the Harwich route.

Tigi replied on 18/01/2017 20:34

Posted on 18/01/2017 20:34

We have a late lunch and a light snack on board when using the night crossing going over, usually come back on day crossing. Harwich Port does`nt have much in the way of facilities. From our experience loading usually takes place between 2030 - 2100 at Harwich. Breakfast on board consists of either a Buffet in the main restaurant or Coffee/Crossiants at a bar, the breakfasts were on the pricier side not excessive but still pricier than say Brittany Ferries. Ships are modern and of a high standard. Depending on the day of the week you are going traffic exiting the Hook / Rotterdam area can be heavy with queues on motorways so allow some extra time if you are thinking of racing to your next site.

StephenPeace18 replied on 22/01/2017 02:25

Posted on 22/01/2017 02:25

We Have also have been using this route for many years. We live in the Isle of Man but we have relations in Ipswich so just pop down in the evening to board. We just take a light snack in the cabin with us and although the breakfast is a little pricey as the previous post said we find it convenient to eat breakfast on board and considering you can help yourself to a ( all you can eat breakfast) we find we do not require any food then till the late afternoon when we are well on our way through Germany to Italy's Adriatic coast. We find the cost of the crossing booked through the Caravan Club is good value for money, These boats are very big and spacious a really nice experience

harryb replied on 22/01/2017 13:47

Posted on 22/01/2017 13:47

David

Used the day time crossing 2 years ago. If you wish to eat before you arrive there are two possibilities just outside the docks. At the large roundabout follow "Ferry" exit. At the next roundabout (200yds) there is a Premier inn on the right through Lidl's car park with a Brewers Fayre restaurant. Left at the same roundabout to the docks there is a Morrisons supermarket on the right (depending on time) Both car parks should be alright for a your camper.

Further away from Harwich is a large Tesco's which is just off the ringroad at Bury St. Edmunds. I have been in there with the caravan on the back. Follow signs for Bury St Edmonds Central, it's signed from the roundabout.

On the other side the only place I know is Ikea (you know the one) at Delft.

DavidKlyne replied on 22/01/2017 15:37

Posted on 22/01/2017 15:37

I am having second thoughts about Denmark for this year. We have a family birthday which delays our departure by nearly four weeks so I think we might just decide to go to France via the Tunnel towards the end of May and perhaps think about Denmark another year when we have more time. Having read the comments about this crossing I am not sure its for us, it seems as easy to use the Tunnel and drive up through Belgium and Holland should we decide to go that way. Thanks for all the information. 

David

bevste replied on 04/02/2017 12:06

Posted on 04/02/2017 12:06

We did this crossing last year towing a caravan and did think about catering options.

We ended up taking a 1 ring camping gas stove and an Iceland 'meal in a bag' which we cooked at the port and even made a cuppa too! 

After docking we travelled about an hour and then made bacon butties on the stove too.

KjellNN replied on 05/02/2017 13:43

Posted on 05/02/2017 13:43

Was there a reason why you did not use the cooking facilities in the caravan?

A couple of times when we have used Hull/Rotterdam we have stopped outside Hull and made dinner in the van before going on the ferry.  And next morning we have driven to the first stopping place on our route and made breakfast in the van.  The breakfast on the Hull ferry is far too early for us!

Tammygirl replied on 05/02/2017 14:01

Posted on 05/02/2017 13:43 by KjellNN

Was there a reason why you did not use the cooking facilities in the caravan?

A couple of times when we have used Hull/Rotterdam we have stopped outside Hull and made dinner in the van before going on the ferry.  And next morning we have driven to the first stopping place on our route and made breakfast in the van.  The breakfast on the Hull ferry is far too early for us!

Posted on 05/02/2017 14:01

I wondered that too Kj, why cart extra equipment with you when you have all you need in the van.

Like you we usually eat before getting on the ferry, especially if its the Rotterdam one as it leave that little bit later than the Zeebrugge one.

When using Hull to Zeebrugge, I tend to pick up a make up a salad bowl, some nice freshly cooked chicken and crunchy bread, from one of the supermarkets in Hull prior to the ferry (or before we leave home) and then we eat in our cabin on board when we are ready to do so.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook