Italian Lakes - which tunnel??

Tammygirl replied on 13/11/2018 17:25

Posted on 13/11/2018 17:25

Thinking of doing some of the Italian lakes next May, then onto Austria and Germany.

We are quite happy at travelling through France to either of the tunnels, Mont Blanc or Freus but would welcome some advise from those who have travelled that way with a caravan.

Where would you look at spending the night before crossing over and which tunnel and why.

Once through the tunnel's is it easy to reach Maggiore the same day, would like a few days there so where is a good site for cycle trips out, looks like there is lots of sites to choose from but its a big lake where is a good place to site ourselves.

We don't intend on doing all the lakes just a couple, DK on another thread suggested Lake d'Iseo as a nice quieter one, I've found a site that I think will suit. 

Many thanks in advance for any helpful interesting suggestions.

allanandjean replied on 18/11/2018 14:21

Posted on 18/11/2018 12:19 by commeyras

Allanandjean.  The German holiday is mid June so it would be advisable to book.  If you look at Bradiaccia website there is a site plan so you can see the few larger pitches.  It is in ACSI.

Posted on 18/11/2018 14:21

When planning we don’t avoid the German holidays as such but time our arrival at places, such as Garda/Maggiore etc, that are likely to be busy for either before or after they take place.

Last time we did this we stayed on in Austria till the end of their holiday and then travelled down to Garda on the Saturday. We did expect it be be busy but as we headed down from the Reschen Pass it was nose to tail German reg vehicles for mile after mile.

Dont rule out non ACSI  but that is our first option when available and there are six at Trasimeno so quite a choice.

replied on 18/11/2018 17:35

Posted on 18/11/2018 14:21 by allanandjean

When planning we don’t avoid the German holidays as such but time our arrival at places, such as Garda/Maggiore etc, that are likely to be busy for either before or after they take place.

Last time we did this we stayed on in Austria till the end of their holiday and then travelled down to Garda on the Saturday. We did expect it be be busy but as we headed down from the Reschen Pass it was nose to tail German reg vehicles for mile after mile.

Dont rule out non ACSI  but that is our first option when available and there are six at Trasimeno so quite a choice.

Posted on 18/11/2018 17:35

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Tammygirl replied on 19/11/2018 19:25

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:25

Still looking and discussing all the options, the Basel route looks to be favourite if we go to Maggiore.

If going to Garda then more than likely go via Innsbruck.

Someone please tell me its all worth the effort of getting thereundecidedlaughing

hitchglitch replied on 19/11/2018 19:27

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:25 by Tammygirl

Still looking and discussing all the options, the Basel route looks to be favourite if we go to Maggiore.

If going to Garda then more than likely go via Innsbruck.

Someone please tell me its all worth the effort of getting thereundecidedlaughing

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:27

I cannot think of anywhere I would rather be in the world than Cannobio, Lake Maggiore. We have been going there almost every year for about 15 years.

Tammygirl replied on 19/11/2018 19:36

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:27 by hitchglitch

I cannot think of anywhere I would rather be in the world than Cannobio, Lake Maggiore. We have been going there almost every year for about 15 years.

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:36

Thanks H, which site do you use? have looked on Acsi doesn't seem to be much of a choice.

DavidKlyne replied on 19/11/2018 22:02

Posted on 19/11/2018 19:36 by Tammygirl

Thanks H, which site do you use? have looked on Acsi doesn't seem to be much of a choice.

Posted on 19/11/2018 22:02

TG

Have you done a Google search for campsites where you want to be? Italian campsites are not renown for being inexpensive which might mean some are reluctant to use the likes of ACSI so there may be others that are worth looking at but are more than the ACSi price ranges?

David

Tammygirl replied on 19/11/2018 23:14

Posted on 19/11/2018 22:02 by DavidKlyne

TG

Have you done a Google search for campsites where you want to be? Italian campsites are not renown for being inexpensive which might mean some are reluctant to use the likes of ACSI so there may be others that are worth looking at but are more than the ACSi price ranges?

David

Posted on 19/11/2018 23:14

I've been looking at sites both in and not in Acsi, some in the C&MC Venture Abroad book and some from other websites, you are not kidding when you say they are expensive, even at the time of year we are going most sites are coming in at double what we would pay in France.

Its been a long time since we visited Italy and at this rate it will be even longer, frown what with tolls for tunnels, tolls for roads, vignettes just to pass through a country and to be told that cycling isn't something that you can do round the lakes, small pitches, fuel prices that can go up while you are filling up, makes me think I might just not bother. 

I believe the taxes in Austria and Switzerland are also very expensive.

Maybe we have become spoilt with France and Spain. Will have to give this some more thought. 

Tammygirl replied on 19/11/2018 23:19

Posted on 19/11/2018 22:14 by eurortraveller

Does this help?

Posted on 19/11/2018 23:19

Thanks ET, not sure it does to be honest but thanks for posting it.

Most of those sites are on the main Acsi website, as I posted above they are not cheap. While money is not an issue I do not see the point in paying UK site prices abroad, when there is so much to see and do in the likes of France/Spain without the eye watering prices.

eurortraveller replied on 20/11/2018 09:10

Posted on 20/11/2018 09:10

Plan B, Tammy?  Drop the idea of visiting the overcrowded, overpriced Lakes area and go and see the real Italy instead.

There are lots of alternative campsites in the usual €17 ACSI price range. How about Campeggio Il Collaccio down in Umbria, and have a look at the Sibillini National Park there.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook