Snow chains for crossing the Pyrenees?

Ional replied on 18/01/2017 17:33

Posted on 18/01/2017 17:33

Someone (who has a motorhome) has just expressed surprise that I don't have snow chains ready to cross from NW France to Pamplona next week. They said they thought I would need them.

Do I? I do hope not, I know its very cold in Spain and snowing in Alicante and Majorca, but surely the motorways will be ok?

m0rrisman replied on 18/01/2017 18:03

Posted on 18/01/2017 18:03

best check driving regs for the area some are obligatory others optional for example driving in germany in winter you must have winter tyers

peedee replied on 18/01/2017 19:04

Posted on 18/01/2017 19:04

It is not compulsary to carry snow chains in Spain but if the roads you want to travel on are covered in snow you will not be allowed to use them without them. The option is to sit it out until the roads are cleared which in Spain on the mains routes does not take very long.

peedee

Philnffc replied on 18/01/2017 19:29

Posted on 18/01/2017 19:29

Like PD says it is not compulsory to have snow chains in Spain but the Spanish have an excellent work force who keep major roads clear as much as any other country in Europe. Have actually followed a snow plough over the A15 from Pamplona to the other side three years ago.

Don't know whereabouts' in Spain you are going but have you thought of using A9/AP7 route down the coast side close to Barcelona,we live near Alicante and when the weather is like it is now we use this route because it is not so  high up and the crossing is shorter before you arrive in the sun. Its is 8.30pm here and it is snowing and Thunder/Lightening at the same time so why you are coming here heaven knows, enjoy.

Phil

ValDa replied on 19/01/2017 08:19

Posted on 19/01/2017 08:19

On the French side of the Pyrenees, snow chains are not compulsory but recommended, and on routes where you may need them you should see a sign stating that they should be used.  Generally the high passes have notices indicating whether they are passable or not.  If such notices are displayed then do not take the road!!   There may even be a police presence turning you back or suggesting an alternative route, or 'Route Barree' signs and you'll have to find your own alternative.

Snow can come (and go) very quickly in the high Pyrenees.

young thomas replied on 19/01/2017 08:29

Posted on 19/01/2017 08:29

the 'general' forecast is for the whole of Spain to return to more 'normal' weather around Tuesday, with a slow improvement as we move over the weekend, although today and tomorrow look pretty 'cold/damp'.

even Zaragosa moves up to 10-13 deg (clear, dry, sunny) from Tuesday.

we will be travelling in the same direction in the next or so, and Phil knows why....because, while there is a 'blip' in the weather at the moment, the longer term outlook will be better than Feb/March at home..wink 

Ional replied on 19/01/2017 09:26

Posted on 19/01/2017 09:26

Thanks all, will be keeping to main roads (San Sebastion, Pamplona, Zaragosa, Valentia) but could divert to east coast if it looks bad.

happy2015 replied on 19/01/2017 11:59

Posted on 19/01/2017 11:59

We're planning a similar trip in our motorhome in a few weeks and I'm thinking of getting snow socks which to all intense and purposes should be quicker to fit and if the worst did happen (one came apart) the damage should be a lot less to the 'van' than what snow chains will cause.  Apart from that snow socks are cheaper in general and how many times would you use them?  I've found a site which may be of use if Halfords or wherever can't supply - autosockdirect.co.uk.  Have fun on your trip

JollyKernow replied on 19/01/2017 12:56

Posted on 19/01/2017 08:29 by young thomas

the 'general' forecast is for the whole of Spain to return to more 'normal' weather around Tuesday, with a slow improvement as we move over the weekend, although today and tomorrow look pretty 'cold/damp'.

even Zaragosa moves up to 10-13 deg (clear, dry, sunny) from Tuesday.

we will be travelling in the same direction in the next or so, and Phil knows why....because, while there is a 'blip' in the weather at the moment, the longer term outlook will be better than Feb/March at home..wink 

Posted on 19/01/2017 12:56

Good forecast that BB, although we should lose the worst of this by tomorrow evening.

We were attempting to build a snowman on the beach at Guardamar yesterday, while friends were doing the same at Benicassim! Interestingly there were some folk out with their cameras who have never seen real snow.

This winter's been very changeable, but as you know, those sunny days are well worth it.

peedee replied on 19/01/2017 13:43

Posted on 19/01/2017 11:59 by happy2015

We're planning a similar trip in our motorhome in a few weeks and I'm thinking of getting snow socks which to all intense and purposes should be quicker to fit and if the worst did happen (one came apart) the damage should be a lot less to the 'van' than what snow chains will cause.  Apart from that snow socks are cheaper in general and how many times would you use them?  I've found a site which may be of use if Halfords or wherever can't supply - autosockdirect.co.uk.  Have fun on your trip

Posted on 19/01/2017 13:43

Before you purchase snow socks I would try and check that they are acceptable for use in lieu of chains. Myself, if it is that bad that chains were required, I would seek another route or sit it out until the roads were clear.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook