Spanish Traffic Laws

cyberyacht replied on 13/05/2021 08:49

Posted on 13/05/2021 08:49

Just read about a change in Spanish traffic law on a forum I follow. Primarily a big reduction in urban speed limits. A number of other things one of which is replacement of warning triangles and replacement with a warning light. A V-16 emergency light is a siren that emits a yellow toned LED light in short bursts (flashing on and off) from the moment it is turned on. These lights are bright enough to be seen from up to one kilometre away, if the sky is clear. The light has a strong magnet on the bottom,enabling it to stick easily and simply to the roof of your car, without risking any damage to your paint work.
My motorhome roof is GRP sheathed alloy and 3m up! Similar issues for caravans. It seems that PVC's may have the edge. Just hope the driver is tall. wink Apparently the move is to reduce the need to exit the vehicle to deploy warning triangles.

JVB66 replied on 13/05/2021 17:30

Posted on 13/05/2021 10:38 by peedee

The Club should be in touch with changes after all it produces Euopean guides and sells Continental holidays. The other change which the Club has said nothing about is the requirement in France for vehicles over 3.5 tons to display stickers on the back and sides of vehicles.

peedee

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:30

Is that requirement Domestic ,or does it apply to all vehicles over 3.5 tonnes entering Francesurprised

Lutz replied on 13/05/2021 17:51

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:30 by JVB66

Is that requirement Domestic ,or does it apply to all vehicles over 3.5 tonnes entering Francesurprised

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:51

The requirement to display "ANGLE MORTS" stickers on vehicles over 3.5 tonnes applies to all in France, including visitors.

kenexton replied on 13/05/2021 18:52

Posted on 13/05/2021 18:52

Blind spot warnings are common on U.K. lorries  but  I cannot say that I have noticed them before on the Continent,then again I do not tailgate lorries.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 14/05/2021 14:31

Posted on 14/05/2021 14:31

Hi everyone, just to let you know we are are aware of this and checking with the FIA (Federation International Automobile). We will post when we have more information. 

RowenaBCAMC replied on 19/05/2021 15:13

Posted on 19/05/2021 15:13

Thanks everyone for your patience. I have been talking to my colleagues on the travel team who have advised the below. 

Firstly regarding the new speed limits in Spain the following now applies on the majority of urban roads but may vary from city to city:

The speeds on single lane roads with a pavement which does not differ in height from the road's surface will now be limited to 20 km/h.
Roads with a single lane each way will be limited to 30 km/h.
Roads with 2 or more lanes each way will remain unchanged with a limit of 50 km/h.

The use of the V-16 emergency light (beacon) will be gradually phased in from 1 July 2021 as a replacement to the warning triangle. The emergency beacon has a yellow/orange, 60-degree, flashing light that will have a parabolic reflector allowing visibility from approximately one kilometre away. It also has geolocation features built-in and Bluetooth technology, which will allow users to connect them to a mobile so they will be able to send a request for roadside assistance when it is activated. The use of the beacons will come into effect on July 1, 2021, but motorists will still be able to use the traditional warning triangle or light without geolocation until January 1, 2026. From that date on, the only permitted form of warning device will be the V16 Beacon that has built-in geolocation.

The beacons don't have to be placed on top of the caravan, the official document RD 159/21 says that it has to be placed as high as possible and fixed properly as the beacon has a strong magnet on the bottom, enabling it to stick easily, guaranteeing that it is very visible and properly attached.

The website will be updated soon with the relevant information. We are also waiting for more details if the speed changes affect differently depending on the outfit weight and will update you once we have more information. 

cyberyacht replied on 19/05/2021 17:34

Posted on 19/05/2021 17:34

I'll be well past 80 by then and certainly past abseiling of a motorhome roof. At best motorhomes may be able to place the gadget facing out a rear window, assuming theirs has one. Perhaps by then I'll have to cross Spain off my list.

Wherenext replied on 19/05/2021 18:55

Posted on 19/05/2021 18:55

Presumably they'll be able to go around corners and over hills as well.

Great! What a faff. Looks like I might have to update my DORO then.🤔

peedee replied on 19/05/2021 19:26

Posted on 19/05/2021 17:34 by cyberyacht

I'll be well past 80 by then and certainly past abseiling of a motorhome roof. At best motorhomes may be able to place the gadget facing out a rear window, assuming theirs has one. Perhaps by then I'll have to cross Spain off my list.

Posted on 19/05/2021 19:26

Thanks for more detail Rowena. I can not see myself still touring by 2026 but you never know.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook