Travelling after Brexit

RowenaBCAMC replied on 04/02/2019 14:56

Posted on 04/02/2019 14:56

A number of specific questions have been raised about what might happen after 29 March 2019 when the UK leaves the European Union (EU). We've identified some information and advice for people travelling abroad with caravans and motorhomes in the hope that it will help you find out what impact Brexit may have on your holiday plans. You can find this here: Travelling after Brexit

We will also try and keep you updated with relevant information on this discussion and please feel free to share information and advice with each other. We do ask that no conversations about politics devhttps://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/useful-information/travelling-after-brexit/elop - as you know this can often get heated! As such any political comments will be removed but we would really appreciate any constructive comments and information shared. 

Latest Update: January 2021

New rules apply for travel to Europe from January 2021 and you need to take extra steps when travelling to a European destination. You should follow the UK Government travel advice before you travel abroad, including the latest developments and advice on foreign travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sign up for alerts at GOV.UK and visit our dedicated page on our website here: Travelling after Brexit

replied on 16/05/2019 11:07

Posted on 16/05/2019 11:07

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

MichaelT replied on 16/05/2019 12:07

Posted on 16/05/2019 12:07

Sorry to hear about your wife's mishap hope all goes OK.  It did remind me to check the expiry date of our EHIC cards and jogged my memory that they are now due for renewal in June so new ones applied for.  I wonder if the Brexit mess will be resolved by time the new ones expire smile

replied on 16/05/2019 13:13

Posted on 16/05/2019 12:07 by MichaelT

Sorry to hear about your wife's mishap hope all goes OK.  It did remind me to check the expiry date of our EHIC cards and jogged my memory that they are now due for renewal in June so new ones applied for.  I wonder if the Brexit mess will be resolved by time the new ones expire smile

Posted on 16/05/2019 13:13

eurortraveller replied on 16/05/2019 14:22

Posted on 16/05/2019 14:22

You are having bad luck AD - please give my sympathy to your wounded wife.

But dare I say I am not too bothered if EHIC disappears. Everyone is already advised to have a personal travel/medical insurance policy, and it is simply a case of pay with a credit card , get a receipt,  and reclaim when you get home. So my wife's out patient hospital treatment in New Zealand, her emergency dental treatment for a abcess in France last year, and my own memorable 24 hours in an Indian hospital were all covered that way.  Do holiday makers really need EHIC ? 

I do wish you both well. Take care.

replied on 16/05/2019 14:30

Posted on 16/05/2019 14:22 by eurortraveller

You are having bad luck AD - please give my sympathy to your wounded wife.

But dare I say I am not too bothered if EHIC disappears. Everyone is already advised to have a personal travel/medical insurance policy, and it is simply a case of pay with a credit card , get a receipt,  and reclaim when you get home. So my wife's out patient hospital treatment in New Zealand, her emergency dental treatment for a abcess in France last year, and my own memorable 24 hours in an Indian hospital were all covered that way.  Do holiday makers really need EHIC ? 

I do wish you both well. Take care.

Posted on 16/05/2019 14:30

allanandjean replied on 16/05/2019 15:11

Posted on 16/05/2019 11:07 by

EHIC

Update ,learned today that the card is for emergency treatment only not follow up . Attended the hospital today for a follow up on my wife's broken toes and a lot of confusion arose because we had not registered at a health center for temporary residence status. Initially they were not going to proceed because the "computer says no" but a Doctor overruled it/them and made a further appointment for 3 weeks time. In spite of my wife having more than basic Spanish skills we could not have managed without the assistance of volunteer translators from a local expat charity. Extended our stay for another week to allow for the appointment and by then it's going to be over 7 weeks which is something of a record even for us.

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:11

Hi David, very sorry to hear you news and please pass our best wishes to Marjorie.

As euror says there are many that appear to either not know the limitations of the EHIC, or just 'wing it', but I had no idea about the ongoing treatment aspect.

Last summer our Granddaughter fell whilst near the onsite pool and had to attend hospital to have stitches, and was prescribed some medication, and then a follow up to remove the stitches.

The main issue was the language and finding pharmacies as the hospital did not dispense.

Fingers crossed for the remaining, problem free, time!

replied on 16/05/2019 15:22

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:11 by allanandjean

Hi David, very sorry to hear you news and please pass our best wishes to Marjorie.

As euror says there are many that appear to either not know the limitations of the EHIC, or just 'wing it', but I had no idea about the ongoing treatment aspect.

Last summer our Granddaughter fell whilst near the onsite pool and had to attend hospital to have stitches, and was prescribed some medication, and then a follow up to remove the stitches.

The main issue was the language and finding pharmacies as the hospital did not dispense.

Fingers crossed for the remaining, problem free, time!

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:22

Pliers replied on 16/05/2019 15:22

Posted on 16/05/2019 11:07 by

EHIC

Update ,learned today that the card is for emergency treatment only not follow up . Attended the hospital today for a follow up on my wife's broken toes and a lot of confusion arose because we had not registered at a health center for temporary residence status. Initially they were not going to proceed because the "computer says no" but a Doctor overruled it/them and made a further appointment for 3 weeks time. In spite of my wife having more than basic Spanish skills we could not have managed without the assistance of volunteer translators from a local expat charity. Extended our stay for another week to allow for the appointment and by then it's going to be over 7 weeks which is something of a record even for us.

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:22

What awful luck, and nothing is ever straightforward is it!

But the most important thing is that your wife makes a full recovery.

We're off to Spain soon, must check we've got the EHIC cards packed....

replied on 16/05/2019 15:31

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:22 by Pliers

What awful luck, and nothing is ever straightforward is it!

But the most important thing is that your wife makes a full recovery.

We're off to Spain soon, must check we've got the EHIC cards packed....

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:31

replied on 16/05/2019 15:43

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:31 by

Thanks very much but at least we are sitting under palms and blue skies while she takes it easy.

Posted on 16/05/2019 15:43

David, tell your good lady that the next time that she gives you a much deserved kick up the rear that she puts her shoes on first. wink

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook