Travelling after Brexit

RowenaBCAMC replied on 04/02/2019 14:56

Posted on 04/02/2019 14:56

A number of specific questions have been raised about what might happen after 29 March 2019 when the UK leaves the European Union (EU). We've identified some information and advice for people travelling abroad with caravans and motorhomes in the hope that it will help you find out what impact Brexit may have on your holiday plans. You can find this here: Travelling after Brexit

We will also try and keep you updated with relevant information on this discussion and please feel free to share information and advice with each other. We do ask that no conversations about politics devhttps://www.caravanclub.co.uk/overseas-holidays/useful-information/travelling-after-brexit/elop - as you know this can often get heated! As such any political comments will be removed but we would really appreciate any constructive comments and information shared. 

Latest Update: January 2021

New rules apply for travel to Europe from January 2021 and you need to take extra steps when travelling to a European destination. You should follow the UK Government travel advice before you travel abroad, including the latest developments and advice on foreign travel during the COVID-19 pandemic. Sign up for alerts at GOV.UK and visit our dedicated page on our website here: Travelling after Brexit

SeasideBill replied on 20/01/2021 19:11

Posted on 20/01/2021 18:30 by davetommo

I would have preferred a clean break. But as you say we will have to try to live with it.

Posted on 20/01/2021 19:11

Sadly, living with it is all we can do.  frown

However, trying to remain positive and still waiting for the great leap forwards.....apart from happier British Fish according to Rees Mogg undecided

DavidKlyne replied on 20/01/2021 21:37

Posted on 20/01/2021 16:05 by Wherenext

We use Soya Drink, a milk substitute on our breakfast cereal as Mrs.WN and milk do not mix first thing in the morning. She has a herbal tea.

We are wondering if the Gendarmes or Border Control know the difference between Soya Drink and Milk products. Mind you I've never tried it in tea as we have the Sweetened Soya and I don't have sugar in tea. Ruddy complicates things this no certain food things.

Posted on 20/01/2021 21:37

I think you would have to be prepared to explain it. If anyone from Border Control sees the word milk they might not be prepared to enter a long discussion on what it is made of? Not that I am suggesting that people break the rules but I wonder in time how hot they will be on checking. Perhaps what we need is a list of foods we can take with us. Margaret would find it difficult without her porridge as she is diabetic. The milk to go with it could be purchase in a local supermarket once in France. Many years ago we often struggle to buy fresh milk in the smaller French supermarkets and almost impossible in Belgium. Has the situation improved?

David

Tammygirl replied on 20/01/2021 23:02

Posted on 20/01/2021 21:37 by DavidKlyne

I think you would have to be prepared to explain it. If anyone from Border Control sees the word milk they might not be prepared to enter a long discussion on what it is made of? Not that I am suggesting that people break the rules but I wonder in time how hot they will be on checking. Perhaps what we need is a list of foods we can take with us. Margaret would find it difficult without her porridge as she is diabetic. The milk to go with it could be purchase in a local supermarket once in France. Many years ago we often struggle to buy fresh milk in the smaller French supermarkets and almost impossible in Belgium. Has the situation improved?

David

Posted on 20/01/2021 23:02

Re the milk in French supermarkets DK, I think there is more available everywhere in France now. I can't remember the last time I couldn't get fresh milk. 

As to making a list of things we can take I've already started doing that as I think it will be shorter than the ones we can't take.

I'm still not sure of what tinned items we can take, they say no meat items but does that mean 'fresh meat' what about tinned ham?

We will certainly be looking at different times of day to take a ferry that's for sure. Arriving in Caen at 21.30 with no milk, butter etc isn't going to be popular.

Doing the shopping once on French soil won't to problematic for MHs but I can't see that many folk with caravans in tow pulling into supermarkets to get supplies. 

Tammygirl replied on 20/01/2021 23:10

Posted on 14/01/2021 15:40 by peedee

Cannot remember what we took during the F&M outbreka but it should be easy enough to come up with a couple of meals with abit of thought and research. How about onion omlette and salade?

pedee

Posted on 20/01/2021 23:10

You can take fish, no ban on mussels, oysters etc laughinglaughinglaughing

allanandjean replied on 20/01/2021 23:17

Posted on 20/01/2021 23:17

Doing the shopping once on French soil won't to problematic for MHs but I can't see that many folk with caravans in tow pulling into supermarkets to get supplies.

Hi TG, I posted earlier that  we always stop en route from the port.

We usually combine a fuel/lunch/shop stop and I will use Google, especially Streetview, to choose suitable stops and, seeming to have time on my hands lately, have started to map this years stops.

Maybe we are not too concerned, about the new restrictions, as we have never packed anything other than what’s in the fridge and view the cost of buying food enroute as part of our holiday costs-and yes we even did so, and still do, when taking children or grandchildren with us.

So far as ferry times go a BF overnight from Plymouth last trip was £100 less than a morning crossing,  and that included a cabin, and gives a nice early start and so plenty of shopping time!

replied on 21/01/2021 08:31

Posted on 21/01/2021 08:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook