Ability to chose hardstanding pitches on all sites

AandJ replied on 08/09/2021 17:47

Posted on 08/09/2021 17:47

I want the club to look at giving members the option to chose hard standing or grass pitch on the sites where standard pitches can be either or. 
This season I have experienced problems on a few popular sites whereby I’ve booked a standard pitch with awning only to turn up (at a reasonable time 2-3pm) to find there are only grass pitches left. With a 4.5 tonne Motorhome this makes me Cringe. With all the rain we’ve had grass pitches have been really soft and twice we’ve had to get off using mud runners. 
I’ve also seen many other Motorhome sand larger caravans struggling to stop wheels sinking in or awning being like mud pools. There have been several reviews around on some of these sites were members have stated they’ve booked a std pitch with awning expecting hardstanding, as on sites that are all hardstanding, only to turn up to be told only grass left and these have been very wet and several not fit for purpose. 
The sites that I experienced problems with and heard from other members that have major issues are, Tewkesbury, Hurn Lane, Seacroft, Hill Head and Gowerton. There are probably others. 
I know some people like grass and that’s fine, but if that’s the case let them book them and let those of us who literally hate them cos they are not suitable for modern caravans or Motorhome chose hard standing. 
I don’t even mind paying a bit more for hard standing but I do object to paying the same for a poor quality, inferior, soggy under sized grass pitch ( lots of these at Tewkesbury and Hurn Lane ) . It should be personal choice so give us that choice and I think you might find there’s a drop in bookings at these sites, perhaps that’s why you don’t put in in the information options. 
Of course the best option would be to do away with soggy grass pitches and make them hard standing or at least increase the proportion of hard standing . So come on CAMC give us the option on all sites so that we’re all getting the same value for our money and not getting Stuck in the Mud which is we’re the club seems to be .

brue replied on 15/09/2021 13:40

Posted on 15/09/2021 13:14 by Tinwheeler

Rejigging the pitches on grass is the norm, MMc. They do it at Godrevy regularly.

C&CC experimented with the reinforced grass pitches at Blackmore and found them to be slippery. It was necessary to peg down caravan steps as they skated away. I don’t know what the outcome was, maybe they tried a different type.

Posted on 15/09/2021 13:40

Which brings me back to the point I made about CAMC Tewkesbury, you can now book this type of pitch there. As Tewkesbury can get very soggy it might be useful.

JVB66 replied on 15/09/2021 14:00

Posted on 15/09/2021 14:00

With Tewksbury being flooded regularly , when we were there last was just after the the refurbishment with the new "high level" facilities block,  the site staff said that the all weather pitches?  were not so much a change as an experiment ,with block paving in some areas that were more prone to being flooded ,and easier to get them back into service when the water receded as they could be pressure washed?the serviced pitches that were also installed on an area that the water had not reached before  so are still loose stone chipping hard stands

DavidKlyne replied on 15/09/2021 14:34

Posted on 15/09/2021 12:23 by cyberyacht

I'm surprised that CAMC haven't explored "reinforced" grass pitches more. Seems an ideal compromise from a durability aspect.

Posted on 15/09/2021 14:34

I hope they never do! They are a bit pointless anyway as the grass still dies and you are left with a blackened, albeit solid, surface.

DavidKlyne replied on 15/09/2021 14:40

Posted on 15/09/2021 09:53 by SteveL

Perhaps because they like the T&C’s and can generally get a hardstanding. However, if deposits are brought in without pitch type booking, that could change everything. It certainly would for me, if I’m paying a deposit anyway, why not look elsewhere.

Posted on 15/09/2021 14:40

I think that would make me reluctant to pay a deposit if I didn't know what pitch surface I was getting. However if the Club are true to their word at the AGM that shouldn't be a problem because selecting a pitch by surface should be part of the new booking system?

David

ErnieJH replied on 15/09/2021 15:19

Posted on 15/09/2021 15:19

I think any new system which incorporates deposits will need to overcome many things as well as pitch type, for example if you want to amend a booking you can’t change site or pitch type without cancelling and starting again. How would the deposit system handle that. Of course the real test would be the situation where if people can’t get the complete period they want they book the days that are available and then wait for the missing days to come up. So a deposit would have been paid for each individual booking which they would then combine into one booking.

There is also the problem with members who prefer to pay by cash or cheque.

I know it all sounds a bit picky but it’s just my systems development background coming out.

I just hope some users are involved in the system testing especially ones who aren’t very computer literate because that’s the only way to really test it.

Twos more then one replied on 15/09/2021 15:26

Posted on 15/09/2021 15:19 by ErnieJH

I think any new system which incorporates deposits will need to overcome many things as well as pitch type, for example if you want to amend a booking you can’t change site or pitch type without cancelling and starting again. How would the deposit system handle that. Of course the real test would be the situation where if people can’t get the complete period they want they book the days that are available and then wait for the missing days to come up. So a deposit would have been paid for each individual booking which they would then combine into one booking.

I know it all sounds a bit picky but it’s just my systems development background coming out.

I just hope some users are involved in the system testing especially ones who aren’t very computer literate because that’s the only way to really test it.

Posted on 15/09/2021 15:26

You post 

Honest, why ?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/09/2021 16:16

Posted on 15/09/2021 14:34 by DavidKlyne

I hope they never do! They are a bit pointless anyway as the grass still dies and you are left with a blackened, albeit solid, surface.

Posted on 15/09/2021 16:16

Wow that’s a new one on me, I’ve always thought(& seen) grass reinforcement used for wheeled vehicles not Awnings, the grass doesn’t need reinforcement for an awning it just needs the grass. That isn’t well thought out from either the planning or the using. Yup there’s some hard of thinking individuals out there🤷🏻‍♂️

EmilysDad replied on 15/09/2021 16:22

Posted on 15/09/2021 16:22

@ernie ..

Who uses cheques anymore? It's been years since I used a cheque .... Interweb banking is so very easy to these days.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook