Another site not selling calor gas

clarinetman replied on 22/06/2022 15:21

Posted on 22/06/2022 15:21

Second site this holiday not selling gas, asked the chat line why , they responded by saying it was a calor gas supply issue. Spoke with warden they said no it is that the powers that be have made it the sole responsibility of wardens to sell on site including paying for insurance etc therefore some sites have decided not to sell it.

Gas if anyone at the club is unsure is a fundamental component of caravanning, why after asking people to cut back on electric and use your own source of power and not sell gas. 

why hasn’t the club negotiated with calor a favorable deal for club members we pay £56 to join and £40 a night at you average club site ( 2 people toilet block site) and can’t get gas, as the man said “ I don’t believe it “

Tinwheeler replied on 25/06/2022 10:30

Posted on 25/06/2022 07:39 by mickysf

Totally agree, as one who had to ‘manage’ and protect those few with food allergies this could be a tragedy waiting to happen for both the sufferer and the person responsible for selling such items. I often wondered why on those multipack bags of chocolate bars and the like they had ‘contents not to be sold separately’ on them. The reason is all the food contents and allergy warnings are on the main bag and not the individual items. 

Posted on 25/06/2022 10:30

In my experience, wardens have often resold the contents of multi packs in site shops. Particularly so with ice creams where a multipack can be bought in a supermarket for as little as 25% of the price of buying individual ice creams.

JollyKernow replied on 25/06/2022 10:45

Posted on 25/06/2022 09:55 by DavidKlyne

It seems an increasing trend and very inconvenient at some sites where you don't have a shop within easy walking distance. However its not universal, when we were at Poolsbrook recently they had a well stocked shop. I am not expecting a mini neighbourhood store but milk would be good! 

Of course risks should be assessed but the main risk from food is when it is sold unpackaged where an unsuspecting customer won't be able to check the contents. Any packaged item will have the contents clearly marked. I therefore can't see an issue with the likes of milk and ice cream. Perhaps there is more to it than initially meets the eye? 

David

Posted on 25/06/2022 10:45

Morning

There is indeed a lot more to it which I'm not going to go into detail here. An awful lot of red tape and indeed having to buy insurance. Stocking and running a small shop aside from ever increasing site duties has become very time consuming and at times stressful. Maybe some site staff have the time and indeed patience to administer all the necessaries I don't know.  Apologies to anyone who misses the convenience but personally it's just not worth it. 

On the subject of gas, at the start of the season an order will be placed with either calor direct or a third party supplier for a loan stock and those bottles are exchanged through the season then returned at the end. Because of the huge shortage of bottles there is no stock to loan, let alone the unreliable resupply.

JK

DavidKlyne replied on 25/06/2022 11:54

Posted on 25/06/2022 10:45 by JollyKernow

Morning

There is indeed a lot more to it which I'm not going to go into detail here. An awful lot of red tape and indeed having to buy insurance. Stocking and running a small shop aside from ever increasing site duties has become very time consuming and at times stressful. Maybe some site staff have the time and indeed patience to administer all the necessaries I don't know.  Apologies to anyone who misses the convenience but personally it's just not worth it. 

On the subject of gas, at the start of the season an order will be placed with either calor direct or a third party supplier for a loan stock and those bottles are exchanged through the season then returned at the end. Because of the huge shortage of bottles there is no stock to loan, let alone the unreliable resupply.

JK

Posted on 25/06/2022 11:54

JK

As usual, thanks for informing us. Its just a shame that the Club doesn't keep members better informed. Everyone would have realised that selling things in site reception over COVID would have been a non starter. However the situation we are now in one would have hoped things would have reverted to what they were before, clearly this is not going to happen. What has changed, as we are not informed we don't know so we rely on people like you to share what you can but we appreciate that there are limits on how much you can share. Mind you it is a bit confusing with sites selling things and others not. I will soon be staying at three commercial sites on our next trip where prices are no more than the CMC charge so it will be interesting to see what they offer, if anything of course!

David

Takethedogalong replied on 25/06/2022 12:09

Posted on 25/06/2022 12:09

There’s a general issue around small Calor Gas replacement bottles. We have a huge depot close to us, but even they don’t know what size of bottle they will get in. We have been trying to source a 3.9 size to replace our spare, but no joy. Luckily our other is full, and we have another in our caravan, so we aren’t desperate. We only cook with it usually. 

replied on 25/06/2022 12:56

Posted on 25/06/2022 12:56

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook