Bus from Strathclyde Country Park site to Glasgow

Mick Bell replied on 31/07/2022 08:10

Posted on 31/07/2022 08:10

Hello All - we are thinking about staying for a few days on the Club site at Strathclyde Country Park and visiting Glasgow.

What are bus services like to and from the site into the city?

GDaveF replied on 05/08/2022 08:53

Posted on 05/08/2022 08:53

We stayed here a couple of years ago and there was details of a local taxi firm in the Information Room. We rang them, they arrived on time and took us to the railway station. On way back we rang from train and they met us and took us back to site. Both journeys at reasonable price. Would recommend them..

JVB66 replied on 05/08/2022 10:06

Posted on 31/07/2022 10:23 by DavidKlyne

I have always discounted Strathclyde Country Park as a site to visit Glasgow because what seems the terrible public transport connections. Whilst I appreciate Steve's research, walking well over a mile (for some of us)  to get to the bus stop is out of the question especially given the route alongside very busy roads. Does the Club have any arrangements similar to the Edinburgh site with a minibus into the centre? The alternative would be to take a taxi to a nearby railway station and get the train in but I don't know how reliable local taxis are? We did think about using the train from Ayr earlier in the year but didn't. I have also consider the site mentioned by ET but wasn't sure about the immediate surrounding area of the site. I have almost reconciled myself that if I want to visit Glasgow it will be by train direct from MK and a night or two in a Premier Inn!!!

I find it very strange that the Club builds a site near a major City but doesn't give the same thought as to how members are going to visit said City?

David

Posted on 05/08/2022 10:06

Was it built before motor caravans became the must haves as now ?when most members had a tow vehicle that was used from sites?

SteveL replied on 05/08/2022 13:56

Posted on 05/08/2022 10:06 by JVB66

Was it built before motor caravans became the must haves as now ?when most members had a tow vehicle that was used from sites?

Posted on 05/08/2022 13:56

Even when we had a tow vehicle, using it to drive into a strange town wouldn’t have been my first choice. We much preferred to use public transport.

JVB66 replied on 05/08/2022 18:40

Posted on 05/08/2022 13:56 by SteveL

Even when we had a tow vehicle, using it to drive into a strange town wouldn’t have been my first choice. We much preferred to use public transport.

Posted on 05/08/2022 18:40

But you did not have to drive into Glasgow just to the local station and go to Glasgow from there is👍

SteveL replied on 05/08/2022 22:12

Posted on 05/08/2022 18:40 by JVB66

But you did not have to drive into Glasgow just to the local station and go to Glasgow from there is👍

Posted on 05/08/2022 22:12

Still preferred to use public transport and go direct from the site. I think the only place where we drove to the station was the Wirral country park, where it was quite a walk to the bus stop. That apart many stations  have limited if any space once the commuters have left their cars for the day.

MikeyA replied on 08/08/2022 09:03

Posted on 08/08/2022 09:03

We quite often drive from our site to a local village to park, before catching a bus to our destination. 

JVB66 replied on 08/08/2022 09:15

Posted on 05/08/2022 22:12 by SteveL

Still preferred to use public transport and go direct from the site. I think the only place where we drove to the station was the Wirral country park, where it was quite a walk to the bus stop. That apart many stations  have limited if any space once the commuters have left their cars for the day.

Posted on 08/08/2022 09:15

For larger vehicles I suppose that could be the case🤔

geoffeales replied on 09/08/2022 15:45

Posted on 09/08/2022 15:45

we use Strathclyde CC regularly as our daughter lives in Glasgow. Our main criticism is traffic noise as the site is right next to M74. There's also a road running through the country park which is often used by boy-racers doing wheelies all through the night so best find a pitch away from these two roads. We've never used buses there but the local taxi companies all know the site well and are very reasonable. As for parking, we take the Metro from Shields Road station. 15 minutes up the M74 from the site, it has a huge car park and you can park all day for £2.40 including a return ticket, great value. Love the city!

Navigateur replied on 09/08/2022 16:08

Posted on 09/08/2022 16:08

There is a train station in Bothwell with services in to Glasgow.

Unfortunately the last station in Bothwell closed in mid-1960s. Nearby stations still open are in Bellshill, Hamilton and Uddingston, each with different services and all a good way away from the site. The 255 bus services seems to have a variable timetable where only an occasional one goes through to Glasgow though those that don't will get one to the railway stations in Hamilton or Uddingston.

Brians dad replied on 11/08/2022 17:27

Posted on 11/08/2022 17:27

When we stayed, the wardens recommended a local taxi company which got us to the station in 10 minutes. We phoned them again when we were ready to set off back, and were met by the platform at Bothwell station. You could also go from Hamilton station but more expensive taxi fare. Forget the name of the company, but very reliable and an easy journey. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook