Caravanning on Harris

paddycollins replied on 17/01/2017 15:01

Posted on 17/01/2017 15:01

Has anyone been to Harris (Wetern Isles) with their caravan? If so where did you stay. We'll be going in July and struggling to find suitable site with EHU, waste disposal that allows kids. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks

GDaveF replied on 19/01/2017 14:53

Posted on 19/01/2017 14:53

We visited Harris last year with a motorhome. We toured the whole Island and to be honest I think that you are going to be unlikely to find what you are looking for. We stayed at a 'Listed Site' of the other club called Minch View? and it was so bad I wrote and suggested it was taken out of the book! The entrance a tight turn, on a hill, with a closed gate and very narrow. A coachbuilt m'home damaged a mirror as it was so difficult an entrance. As for the state of the pitches and facilities . . . . . . . .  

I think I saw a couple of sites on the East Coast route through Finsbay and Manish but the road was more suited to our 6m van than a car caravan combination.

Harris is geared up more for motorhomes and wilding.

Dave

Grumblewagon replied on 21/01/2017 19:46

Posted on 21/01/2017 19:46

I was there once quite a few years ago.  We arrived on site on Friday and the site owner asked that we left on Saturday, explaining that the site was not open on the Sabbath.  We moved up to Lewis and found a site on Saturday.  We were warned that everything closed at 5pm and would not be open till Monday. 

Things have probably changed since then, but I wouldn't bet on it.

GDaveF replied on 26/01/2017 11:07

Posted on 26/01/2017 11:07

I would agree about Sunday on Lewis especially. The site had a notice saying not to hang out washing on Sundays and the Churches had larger carparks than the supermarkets and on Sundays they were full.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook