Email regarding price increases

JillwithaJay replied on 21/03/2022 15:11

Posted on 21/03/2022 15:11

Anybody received this yet?

"We look forward to welcoming you shortly on our UK Club campsites.

Ahead of your arrival, we wanted to give you advance notice that we’ll be making a small increase to our UK Club campsite prices for stays between 5 April 2022 and 3 January 2023 inclusive.

The unfortunate and sad events which have engulfed the world in recent weeks have meant worldwide electricity costs have increased exponentially. In fact the Club's electricity costs are forecast to increase by an unprecedented amount of around 50% this year.

The fairest way for the Club to manage the rising cost of energy required to run our UK Club campsites is for all members to pay a little bit extra when staying with us this year. This small price increase will support the Club in the face of the rising cost of energy and also help ensure that we can continue to reinvest in improving the UK Club campsite network.

What this means for you:

The increase will be between 70p and £2.50 per night depending on the season and the campsite you are planning to stay on. These calculations are based on a standard touring pitch and two adults.
From 5 April 2022 you’ll be able to see the exact new price you’ll pay by logging into ‘My profile’ and clicking on the ‘My UK Sites Bookings’ section.

There’s no need for you to do anything, on arrival at the campsite you will be charged the appropriate amount.

We appreciate this price increase will not be welcomed, however we would like to share that members have saved over £12.5 million on stays at our UK Club campsite network since July 2020, as the Club passed on the full Government VAT rate saving to members.

We need your support to ensure our wonderful Club can continue to operate all of our amazing campsites at the same high standards during the busy summer season and into the winter, when we expect utility costs to rise further.

What can you do to help:

Below are a few hints and tips to help reduce the cost of electricity usage when you are staying on one of our campsites.

If you have a solar unit on your outfit please use it as much as possible
Make sure indoor and outside lights, any heating appliances and electrical equipment are all turned off when you go out for the day and overnight
We want members to enjoy many holidays with the Club this year, so thank you for your continued loyalty and support, and we wish you an enjoyable 2022 season of touring.

Best wishes
The Caravan and Motorhome Club"

DaveH replied on 25/06/2022 09:47

Posted on 25/06/2022 09:47

Yes, got the email. Wasn't happy that prices on already booked sites would be increased so started to look for alternative sites as the increase per night was more than my total spend on electricity on a private metered site recently. Obviously on club sites I am subsidising other users who have much higher usage than me. Having used meters on several occasions it is my preferred method, even in mid winter the most I have paid is less then £2 per night.

Barking50 replied on 06/08/2022 08:49

Posted on 18/04/2022 17:38 by Tammygirl

We not use sites that much these days preferring CLs but that really started in 2020 due to Covid.

Now it's more to do with a) the price of CAMC sites and b) we rather like CLs

As to what would be more effective, IMO the club needs and wants to reduce usage, as do we all. The only way to do that is to pay for what you use, it really does focus the mind once you've experienced a metered electricity pitch. 

By reducing the amps to 10 amp I personally don't think it would make a lot of difference to all but the highest wasters of electricity. I know I can manage quite happily even in winter on 10amp. The idea of 6amp I think is unworkable in this country given our weather, that and most folk don't seem to understand how low that is. Wardens would be sent demented by bollards constantly being overloaded. 

Metered is expensive agreed but it has to be a longterm decision, it ain't going to get cheaper anytime soon. 

Posted on 06/08/2022 08:49

The amount of electric used on pitch is not, I think, the major factor, some use very little. The majority of gas/electric is used in the facilities blocks, office and warden compounds. These costs would still need to be covered if they reduced bollards to 10 amps or installed meters.

Tammygirl replied on 06/08/2022 10:30

Posted on 06/08/2022 08:49 by Barking50

The amount of electric used on pitch is not, I think, the major factor, some use very little. The majority of gas/electric is used in the facilities blocks, office and warden compounds. These costs would still need to be covered if they reduced bollards to 10 amps or installed meters.

Posted on 06/08/2022 10:30

Maybe the club should consider closing the facility blocks then undecided this would cut down on site staff needed and reduce overall costs of heating the blocks. I for one would have no problem with this but I suspect many would. 

MikeyA replied on 06/08/2022 10:52

Posted on 06/08/2022 10:30 by Tammygirl

Maybe the club should consider closing the facility blocks then undecided this would cut down on site staff needed and reduce overall costs of heating the blocks. I for one would have no problem with this but I suspect many would. 

Posted on 06/08/2022 10:52

It does seem peculiar that many people, with onboard "en suite" facilities, prefer to return to our grand parents days where it required a trip to the bottom of the garden!

FamilyVan replied on 06/08/2022 11:14

Posted on 06/08/2022 11:14

I'm sat at a fantastic site in Garlieston (Galloway) looking over the bay with a lovely cup of Tea. I was just working out the cost of this trip - 

5 nights in Coniston in the lakes, 5 nights here and then back down to North Yorkshirefor 4 nights. The car has already drunk £110 worth of Diesel and I've to get back.

So ... I'm sat here working out the cost of the trip and realised that so far Coniston and this one have charged me around 5% more than my agreed price. Obviously we know that prices are going up, but I was never informed of this. The email at the beginning of this thread was never sent to me.. and I would have thought my booked price was the price I should pay. 

I probably couldnt be more annoyed but unfortunately I've recently renewed my membership and cant make any kind of stand. I know these are little things but with fuel and the cost of living it would be good to know about these changes. These little things do start to grind on me ...

Then again the view from here sort of makes it worth it. 

SteveL replied on 06/08/2022 11:35

Posted on 06/08/2022 10:52 by MikeyA

It does seem peculiar that many people, with onboard "en suite" facilities, prefer to return to our grand parents days where it required a trip to the bottom of the garden!

Posted on 06/08/2022 11:35

My gran had one of those, as well as the more recent inside version. Didn’t have a shower or a bath though and most definitely was not heated.๐Ÿ˜‚

JVB66 replied on 06/08/2022 11:53

Posted on 06/08/2022 10:52 by MikeyA

Posted on 06/08/2022 11:53

Our first house we bought in Sheffield in the 1960s had not been upgraded (I think we paid £950for it)still had the black leaded coal fired range as well๐Ÿ‘

Takethedogalong replied on 06/08/2022 17:25

Posted on 06/08/2022 11:14 by FamilyVan

I'm sat at a fantastic site in Garlieston (Galloway) looking over the bay with a lovely cup of Tea. I was just working out the cost of this trip - 

5 nights in Coniston in the lakes, 5 nights here and then back down to North Yorkshirefor 4 nights. The car has already drunk ยฃ110 worth of Diesel and I've to get back.

So ... I'm sat here working out the cost of the trip and realised that so far Coniston and this one have charged me around 5% more than my agreed price. Obviously we know that prices are going up, but I was never informed of this. The email at the beginning of this thread was never sent to me.. and I would have thought my booked price was the price I should pay. 

I probably couldnt be more annoyed but unfortunately I've recently renewed my membership and cant make any kind of stand. I know these are little things but with fuel and the cost of living it would be good to know about these changes. These little things do start to grind on me ...

Then again the view from here sort of makes it worth it. 

Posted on 06/08/2022 17:25

Hi FV, like you, we recently did a tour of D&G, ten nights. We averaged a price of £12.30 per night, home is SYorks, so fuel usage similar. We didn’t book anything, hopped while rolling.

Dont splutter too much into your Tea๐Ÿ˜ I think you will have had slightly better weather than us though, but enjoy the rest of your stay, D&G is very nice๐Ÿ‘

FamilyVan replied on 06/08/2022 21:08

Posted on 06/08/2022 21:08

We're from South too. ๐Ÿ‘

£12.30 a night... theres 2 of us and the dog. Caravan and awning and ours is about £32.50 a night. The weather is pretty good though...so we'll cope for now! ๐Ÿคฃ

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook