Flooding

Rubytuesday replied on 18/02/2020 00:42

Posted on 18/02/2020 00:42

we are at Tredegar house this week , and like everyone had a lot of wind and rain , 

site has held out brilliantly , no problem at all with the rain , the Tredegar country house grounds though have suffered flooding in some areas , is anyone touring who has been caught out with this awful weather and have gone home early ?

RT   

Navigateur replied on 21/02/2020 10:11

Posted on 21/02/2020 10:11

Just back from a stay at The Woods that included both storms. No problem with flooding on site but could watch the daily changes on the flood plain, most of which has not been built upon. 

The wind gusts however was another matter - not many trees in this particular "wood" and the service pitches are very exposed. Strength was way beyond the design speed for the roof vents which were flapping even when fully clamped shut. Had to put a couple of well filled clothes hangers under one of them to stop it lifting.

RedKite replied on 21/02/2020 13:56

Posted on 21/02/2020 13:56

Had the same photo just sent to me from a friend in the area, do not think the site will open on 6th March as there will be quite a lot of groundwork to do. Awful pictures of Upton-upon-Severn as well our old area where we used to live and have never seen it that bad.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/02/2020 09:40

Posted on 22/02/2020 09:40

Oh dear, and it goes on up here. Skipton, Aire Valley, emergency services getting folks out this morning.☹️ Anyone travelling in and around Dales, check flooding website. If it’s in the Aire today........Will be heading towards York. 😥

Wherenext replied on 22/02/2020 18:23

Posted on 22/02/2020 18:23

We came via Skipton today! The A59 around the town was still open but lots of water in the adjoining fields and the town itself was fine. Didn't get down to the river area but plenty of folk in and around town, where we stopped for a bite to eat. 

We did have to avoid Otley as the lower area was flooded last night. Now safely ensconced on the hill looking over the flooded meadows below. 

The owner of the cottage we are staying at says he's not seen the meadows like that in the 20 years he's been here.

Takethedogalong replied on 22/02/2020 19:10

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:10

Oh WN, what can I say. I couldn’t text Nellie to pass it on. Glad you got there. So pleased you got through. We are watching things avidly, our cottage is up past Eshton, which is through Gargrave. Little Sis says it might be a two jigsaw holiday, rather than one!😂Hope things get better for you. Enjoy your break. Ask Nellie for my email. 👍

Wherenext replied on 22/02/2020 20:13

Posted on 22/02/2020 20:13

Cheers Ttda. We have water wings and large rubber duck inflatable so should be fine!smile

MiL and Mrs WN want to get to RHS Harlow Carr as they also have an embroidery exhibition on so we'll do that on one of the drier days. Quite a while since MiL been to Fountains Abbey so we'll take that in as well. 

We feel a tad guilty as we'll be away for her birthday and mothers day so doing things this week that she wants. 

Good luck with yours.

Will write to NTH.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/02/2020 20:33

Posted on 22/02/2020 19:10 by Takethedogalong

Oh WN, what can I say. I couldn’t text Nellie to pass it on. Glad you got there. So pleased you got through. We are watching things avidly, our cottage is up past Eshton, which is through Gargrave. Little Sis says it might be a two jigsaw holiday, rather than one!😂Hope things get better for you. Enjoy your break. Ask Nellie for my email. 👍

Posted on 22/02/2020 20:33

Hope you manage to get to Seat House, Tda and have a good time. When are you heading that way? I'll certainly pass on your email address to WN.

WN, glad to hear that you made it though eventually without mishap. Have seen the state of the flooding from the Wharfe on another forum!!!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook