Grantown on spey site

welshwafu replied on 25/02/2020 17:28

Posted on 25/02/2020 17:28

Anyone out there visited Grantown on Spey site? I am travelling from west wales this Thursday for a 9 night stay for my own winter watch trip, Booked on silver 2 pitch any comments as to best pitch for views and quietness.  Also any good tips as to best places to visit for wildlife views.

Any other like minded wildlife photographers visiting at same time give me a shout. Cuppa always on offer.

nelliethehooker replied on 25/02/2020 19:35

Posted on 25/02/2020 19:35

Don't know how far you want to travel from site. There's the RSPB reserve at Loch Garten, but the Ospreys won't have arrived yet I guess. Findhorn Bay might give you some good sightings, and if lucky at Fort George you could get to see the dolphins.

SteveL replied on 26/02/2020 08:33

Posted on 26/02/2020 08:33

We have stayed there four times over the years. We always went for a service pitch ( don't recall any silver grading last time we stayed). The service pitches were large and equipped with the normal tap / drain and a satellite feed and wifi included in the price. This was very fast last time we stopped. The whole site is fairly peaceful, at least out of season, as it is well away from the main road on the edge of GT. there is a nice walk on the hillside behind the site, when we were there in May we startled a mountain hare, still in its winter white coat. Plenty of walking in Anagh Woods on the Spey side of GT with red squirrels to be observed. Saw Ptarmigan and Reindeer on the slopes of Cairngorm, although given the weather they have been getting recently there might be a fair bit of snow even on the lower slopes. If its accessible there is a nice walk around Loch Morlich on the road up Cairngorm. The visitors centre there does very good food, if it's open at this time of year. Otters are apparently often seen around the Loch, although we weren't lucky.

brue replied on 26/02/2020 08:47

Posted on 26/02/2020 08:47

Generally the Cairngorms National Park, the Rothiemurchus estate and the RSPB reserves should offer opportunities. It will be weather dependent at this time of the year. Hope you enjoy your trip. smile

Sumitra replied on 26/02/2020 11:54

Posted on 26/02/2020 11:54

We stayed on the site.We liked it.It was fairly quiet when we were there.All services on your doorstep and some lovely walking locally.

welshwafu replied on 26/02/2020 20:27

Posted on 26/02/2020 20:27

many thanks to all for replies,

I lived and worked in Lossiemouth in the 1970/71 era so know the general area, we were a lot younger then ,no money, young baby and a ford anglia estate and very different interests. This trip is to "catch" as much winter wildlife as poss, looks like the snow will be a challenge for my trip up from wales tomorrow.

Any way thanks for site "review" have a good season.

H.

brue replied on 26/02/2020 20:35

Posted on 26/02/2020 20:35

Let us know if you spot anything, the area was home to us for a while and there's certainly plenty to see. The Highland Wildlife Park is worth a visit if you want to take a close look at a variety of animals without too much effort. The park is an offshoot of Edinburgh Zoo, you can see red squirrels etc at close quarters. Have a good trip! smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook