Interesting Petition Part 2

MichaelT replied on 14/08/2018 09:59

Posted on 14/08/2018 09:59

Due to the premature closure of the original thread I am opening a new one.  I received the following email form 38 degrees/Mark Bevan today and I think the response form C&MC is broadly in line with our comment on here so perhaps someone from HQ does read these threads after all smile  Mark has even added the link to the closed thread so perhaps he also did read it but declined to comment, pity it was closed also!! 

Dear supporters,

Monday 13 August update, the petition hit 2.5k signatures, thank you. I received an email from the C&MC last Thursday, who are aware of the petition. The email from the clubs  Public Affairs & Corporate Communications Manager contained an interesting paragraph that I would like to share with you:

"There is arguably scope and demand for another level of stopover, along the lines of a French Aire. However, the establishment of these would have a cost, and there would be planning approval challenges and UK safety requirements (minimum fire safety separation distances for instance) to overcome. It’s worth debating whether the provision of such facilities should be the responsibility of an organisation like the Club, or whether local authorities should provide them (as is the case in some other countries – France and Australia, for instance). There are already some examples of this in the UK, although some of them operate without compliance with the safety separation distances that those same local authorities would insist on if site operators like the Club were to set them up."

If nothing else our petition has raised awareness, so please keep sharing the petition and let's see if we can hit 3k signatures. The more people who sign, the more chance our voices will be heard. Please use the buttons below to share on social media and with anyone else you know who is impacted.

Posting the campaign on Facebook or Twitter only takes a second, but it will mean that hundreds of people see the petition. If you can email the link around as well, all the better - that will allow us to spread the word to people who don’t use social media too.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/parking-for-motorhomes-similar-to-the-french-style-of-aire-de-camping-car 

SHARE ON FACEBOOK 

SHARE ON TWITTER  

Thank you again for signing

Mark

p.s. You might also like to know, that a link to the petition has been posted and a discussion is taking place about it on the C&MC online forum. Not everyone agrees with the petition, and you may find it interesting to read some different views, or even contribute to the discussion. Here is the link https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/sites-touring/uk-sites-touring/interesting-petition/?p=1

Mark Bevan started this campaign on the 38 Degrees Campaigns by You website. If there's an issue close to your heart that you'd like to campaign on, you can start your campaign here.

You are receiving this message because you signed the petition "Parking for Motorhomes similar to the French style of Aire de camping car". If you don't want to receive emails from the "Parking for Motorhomes similar to the French style of Aire de camping car" campaign in the future, please unsubscribe.

Moderator Edit:

The thread has been closed and made 'read only', pending a decision by our Community Manager on its future.

nelliethehooker replied on 15/08/2018 20:07

Posted on 14/08/2018 22:11 by young thomas

oh come on, nellie....wink

I mentioned it in the part of the post you conveniently didn't quote....avoiding the question yourself, I think.

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:07

And where is that post? I've been through all your posts and I can find no mention of your's giving a list of the things done by the club solely for the benefit of caravanners

nelliethehooker replied on 15/08/2018 20:14

Posted on 15/08/2018 08:29 by MichaelT

Not divisive at all just trying to cater for MH's as opposed to caravans and as for getting it for nothing that's is not the case.  We happily pay for parking, camp sites etc. 

Paid for by all caravan owners  who is divisive now? No one expects caravan owners to pay, but you expect MH owners to pay for something they (or some of them) do not want, its all about offering choice.

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:14

Sorry Michael that should have read caravan & M/H owners, or better still "members of both the CC and the C&CC". However the petition is still divisive IMO.

moulesy replied on 15/08/2018 20:15

Posted on 15/08/2018 19:22 by Morris Traveller

Britstops is based on France Passion. That scheme is not like the network of Aires. Both sit happily side by side in France but have little in common. As Britstops is run by one couple, I doubt that they have the time to spare from running their own organisation to lobby for an entirely different scheme.

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:15

No idea what the difference is but if the "couple" who run Britstops managed to open 200 new stops this year, just  think what could be achieved if even a small percentage of the folk who signed that petition became a bit more proactive and offered some practical support!

nelliethehooker replied on 15/08/2018 20:37

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:37

250,000 registered motor homes is 45 percent of touring vans

Surely your %age is wrong, peedee,  as there are over double the number of caravans to M/Hs. The actual figure should be about 30%.  (250,000 while the same estimate for caravans is 550,000). Still substantial but a fair bit lower than you were trying to make out.

replied on 15/08/2018 21:39

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:37 by nelliethehooker

Surely your %age is wrong, peedee,  as there are over double the number of caravans to M/Hs. The actual figure should be about 30%.  (250,000 while the same estimate for caravans is 550,000). Still substantial but a fair bit lower than you were trying to make out.

Posted on 15/08/2018 21:39

I think that sometime facts are irksome. 30% of units might be motorhomes and 10% of those might use aire facilities in UK if they suited them for a night or two. 

peedee replied on 15/08/2018 22:50

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:37 by nelliethehooker

Posted on 15/08/2018 22:50

Well spotted Nellle, I was in a hurry to go out and realised what I had done to late to correct. No matter it is still not an insignificant number of leisure vehihicles to ignoore. I bet the Club would'nt mind recruiting them all. CS didn.t spot it, just came up with some totally irrelevant comment of cars on the road.

peedee

mhparking replied on 16/08/2018 07:49

Posted on 16/08/2018 07:49

Thank you to MichaelT for starting this thread and to Rowena for posting the CAMC response.

It is heartening to see that the CAMC was willing to examine the merits of the petition and to provide a considered, and constructive, response.

I don't think anyone would realistically expect change in the short term but to have it recognised that the idea might have its place in the future is far more positive than knee jerk rejection.

young thomas replied on 16/08/2018 08:19

Posted on 15/08/2018 20:07 by nelliethehooker

And where is that post? I've been through all your posts and I can find no mention of your's giving a list of the things done by the club solely for the benefit of caravanners

Posted on 16/08/2018 08:19

Nellie, replying purely out of courtesy...certainly not out of interest.

my full post on page 6 (and JVBs subsequent post which quoted it in full) are Deleted User as I used the word 'rubbish' in the first para, which now seems to be a banned word undecided

you also quoted the post, but selectivly used the second part of the post.....which appears to have been allowed.....but makes no sense on its own.

the first part, which contained said 'word' explained the reason for the second part....

this reason (the caravan MOT subject) has been mentioned many times in the thread but, as expected, has been dismissed.....by caravanners...

had you read the full post you would have understood, but you chose only to quote the line to make your point.....wrongly.

had you quoted the whole post, like JVB, which contained the 'word', then the full quoted post would have been removed.

oddly, JVBs reply has been allowed to stand, but has no meaning as it replies to 'blank' post....

if you're going to be selective when quoting posts, you need to ensure you've read, understood and remembered the whole post.

if you had, there would have no need for this inquest and your mate could have save himself a few of his '+1's.

my last word on this. 

Oneputt replied on 16/08/2018 08:51

Posted on 16/08/2018 08:51

MHP - Glad your taking heart from Ro's post. I read it as a typically political response so wouldn't hold my breath too long.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook