Isle of Wight

Rowena replied on 08/08/2022 10:38

Posted on 08/08/2022 10:38

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip to the Isle of Wight staying at our Southland Club Campsite. Has anyone stayed there and any recommendations? I will be with my 6 year old son and will also have our 1 year old Bocker (Beagle/Cocker Spaniel cross) with us.

My son is so excited about going on the ferry! I'm looking for things to do and see when we get there. Many thanks in advance for any recommendations. smile

young thomas replied on 11/08/2022 08:07

Posted on 11/08/2022 08:07

Susan Calman has just 'been there' on a tour as part of her Channel 5 series. You'll need to 'catch up' but might give you some ideas.

Rowena replied on 01/09/2022 10:04

Posted on 01/09/2022 10:04

Thank you so much everyone for all your amazing suggestions. It was so helpful and we had an brillaint time. My son absolutely loved the Isle of Wight and wants to go back. 

We booked our ferry so we arrived just after check in. We had our Camp Let Trailer Tent and we were with our friends in their campervan. We had a lovely pitch with the play park behind us. There was a small gap in the hedge which my dog loved looking through at all the children playing (she was of course tethered or on lead at all times)! We absolutely loved the campsite - clean, hot showers, nice dog walking area, stunning views and brilliant for kids. I even saw a shooting star one evening! Everyone was really friendly and we will definitely be back there. 

The Site Staff were great and really helpful. They gave us a printed map of the Red Squirrel Walk that Bakers2 mentioned. 

On our first evening we had torrential rain and our awning flooded. Thankfully we had a spare groundsheet and managed to dry out the next day! Other than that the weather was perfect. Not too hot but mostly sunny. 

We went to both the Pointer Inn (incredible food and amazing value) and the Fighting Cocks (best play area in a pub garden I have ever seen, with go carts and bouncy castles - my son loved it and I enjoyed the food). We also enjoyed breakfast at the Garlic Farm one morning and another morning we went to the double decker bus which is just down the road. They serve amazing food but open a little later at 11 so more like a brunch. Other than that we had BBQs at the campsite and chilli on the first night that my husband made the night before. 

We went to Cowes and were lucky to watch the canons being fired off. 

Carisbrooke Castle was definitely mine and my son's favourite though. Such a beautiful castle and fascinating history - plus my son was learning all about castles in Year One last school year so he was happily pointing out where they used to pour the hot oil and other gruesome facts! Unfortunately we just missed the jousting. 

We did also go to the Needles. We walked down and up the steps rather than the chair lift as the queue was rather long. We went on the boat trip out to the lighthouse which was brilliant and my son made a sand ornament in the gift shop. 

Here are some pics of the Needles, Carisbrooke Castle and the Southland Campsite. 

I just wish we had longer there so we could have done more of your amazing suggestions. Thank you so much everyone you really helped make our holiday special with memories to last a lifetime. smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook