New booking system with deposits

JillwithaJay replied on 01/06/2022 15:32

Posted on 01/06/2022 15:32

I haven't seen any confirmation or otherwise regarding this but have just read it on Faceache with a date of 25th June being, allegedly, given by a member of site staff for implementation.

UP TO DATE INFORMATION ON BOOKINGS

We are normally able to book for next June from today.
However this isn’t possible as the website is moving over to deposits in the next couple of weeks.
So at this time we cannot book anything for next June until the system is live.

DavidKlyne replied on 12/08/2022 20:32

Posted on 12/08/2022 19:37 by Briang

If i book for July 2023 next year and my total booking is £ 575.00 this means that my deposit will be £ 115.00. Then if i book another site a few weeks later for September 2023 My booking is £ 783.00. My deposit will be £156.60. Now i have paid out £271.00 as deposits. This is a lot of money to folk out for deposits. The CAMC is holding on to a lot of money for a year. Multiply this by several hundred wow what a load of money the CAMC have.

Quote: How much will a deposit be?

A deposit will be calculated for each individual campsite stay within a booking and will usually be 20% of the total value of each stay. If several different campsite stays are booked together within one booking, one payment will be taken at the time of booking to cover all the applicable deposits of all the stays combined. There is a minimum deposit value of £25 per stay. However, if the total price of the stay is less than £25, then the total price will be paid as the deposit.

Posted on 12/08/2022 20:32

Surely the whole point is that you have a choice? I am puzzled why anyone books so far ahead (the exception might be a special occasion like a wedding)  The evidence suggests that a lot of sites booked so far in advance are cancelled under the current system which restricts availability. The hope is that deposits will solve that issue. Whilst I was happy with the old system I can see that the Club were unusual in not taking deposits as the majority of campsites do. Additionally other than the other Club most campsites insist that they receive the full payment 4/6 weeks before arrival. On that basis the CMC and C&CC are quite lenient in what they do with regards to deposits. In order to make sure we got away more this year than last I booked a lot of sites earlier in the year, both Club sites and commercial sites. I got my fingers burnt when I had to cancel a commercial site because I got COVID. As I had paid in advance I lost £175 with no prospect of getting it back. Even with a deposit the CMC are still offering a fairer deal in my view.

David

SteveL replied on 12/08/2022 20:41

Posted on 12/08/2022 20:32 by DavidKlyne

Surely the whole point is that you have a choice? I am puzzled why anyone books so far ahead (the exception might be a special occasion like a wedding)  The evidence suggests that a lot of sites booked so far in advance are cancelled under the current system which restricts availability. The hope is that deposits will solve that issue. Whilst I was happy with the old system I can see that the Club were unusual in not taking deposits as the majority of campsites do. Additionally other than the other Club most campsites insist that they receive the full payment 4/6 weeks before arrival. On that basis the CMC and C&CC are quite lenient in what they do with regards to deposits. In order to make sure we got away more this year than last I booked a lot of sites earlier in the year, both Club sites and commercial sites. I got my fingers burnt when I had to cancel a commercial site because I got COVID. As I had paid in advance I lost £175 with no prospect of getting it back. Even with a deposit the CMC are still offering a fairer deal in my view.

David

Posted on 12/08/2022 20:41

Even with a deposit the CMC are still offering a fairer deal in my view.

That is certainly the case, but they have lost their USP and as such are likely to loose bookings we would otherwise have made. Only time will tell if it will be beneficial to the CAMC financially.

Wherenext replied on 12/08/2022 20:46

Posted on 12/08/2022 20:41 by SteveL

That is certainly the case, but they have lost their USP and as such are likely to loose bookings we would otherwise have made. Only time will tell if it will be beneficial to the CAMC financially.

Posted on 12/08/2022 20:46

I agree with that Steve.

I can understand David's reluctance now to pay the whole lot upfront. I was going to stay at a commercial site in September but they wanted the whole lot upfront and there is too much going on medical wise at the moment to chance it so a non deposit CL it was instead. Might have used a club site if there was one available in the area but isn't and if there was and needed a deposit might well have gone down the CL route as a result.

replied on 12/08/2022 20:50

Posted on 12/08/2022 20:50

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Arch replied on 12/08/2022 21:04

Posted on 12/08/2022 21:04

Whatever the outcome it will be a success if there is a loss in bookings and income it can be blamed on the cost of living crisis, it can't fail.

Fieldview replied on 12/08/2022 21:05

Posted on 12/08/2022 21:05

The opportunity to book online without paying a deposit was a unique selling point for the Club. It is a shame that because some members abused the system we have lost this, what I considered, a very useful facility compared with other clubs.

It seems to help those that don't book ahead. However, you have to wonder if the Club is struggling financially and that this is one idea to try and help.

One issue I had was that although you could make a booking using the app, when you thought you had cancelled a booking using the same app, it did not register and a last-minute phone call from the site made you feel that you had let the Club down. The only way you can cancel a site booking is on the website, so don't be fooled by the app. How many cancellations could have been processed on time and new bookings lost because of this we may never know.

I was not approached for my views on the change of booking system like some were, however there are probably other things the Club could have done before removing the current booking system.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/08/2022 21:25

Posted on 12/08/2022 21:05 by Fieldview

The opportunity to book online without paying a deposit was a unique selling point for the Club. It is a shame that because some members abused the system we have lost this, what I considered, a very useful facility compared with other clubs.

It seems to help those that don't book ahead. However, you have to wonder if the Club is struggling financially and that this is one idea to try and help.

One issue I had was that although you could make a booking using the app, when you thought you had cancelled a booking using the same app, it did not register and a last-minute phone call from the site made you feel that you had let the Club down. The only way you can cancel a site booking is on the website, so don't be fooled by the app. How many cancellations could have been processed on time and new bookings lost because of this we may never know.

I was not approached for my views on the change of booking system like some were, however there are probably other things the Club could have done before removing the current booking system.

Posted on 12/08/2022 21:25

I’m not sure some people did abuse the system. If they booked and cancelled within the permitted timescale, that’s within the rules and I don’t see how it can be classed as abuse. It may have not been ideal from the club's point of view but it wasn’t abuse of the system in my opinion.

Were people approached for their views? I’ve not seen any comment on this forum confirming that.

People often say they weren’t consulted but that shows they do not appreciate the club's governance. We have the opportunity to vote to appoint council members and we empower them to make decisions on our behalf. The club staff then implement the resulting tasks. There is no format for consulting the membership about changes, nor need there be with the present system in place.

However, that’s all water under the bridge now. It’s a done deal and we are where we are.

DavidKlyne replied on 12/08/2022 22:14

Posted on 12/08/2022 22:14

Steve

Of course that is true but the CMC obviously felt they had to do something and deposits were one of the options. No doubt they are banking on the fact that if it hits members in the pocket they will be more likely to follow the rules? We may have to wait until next year to know whether it has worked. With the exception of some CL's deposits are almost universally required for campsite bookings so are the Club putting themselves at a disadvantage? It seems that some only use CMC sites because they didn't have to pay a deposit, how widespread that is we don't know. As I have said many times before (and I think you have said it as well) location is often the deciding factor for us. That was the reason we went for some commercial sites this year. Whilst I am happy to pay a deposit one thing I won't do in the future is book a site that requires full payment weeks before arrival, a few days ahead maybe. Funnily enough the site where we lost the money I know (from a another members post on here) was probably nowhere near full during the time we would have been there.

David

peedee replied on 13/08/2022 06:48

Posted on 13/08/2022 06:48

I don't think the Club will lose money, all it will do is change members booking habits to making bookings to nearer the time unless there is a very positive reason to make the booking much earlier. In my experience with the C&CC that seems to be the pattern and it has even been possible to get bookings within the week of arrival at three of their sites I used this year. Two were full and the third only had grass none electric available during my stay.

I have just paid the full price to a commercial site for a stay. If it turns out I cannot honour it, I will be looking to my travel insurance to recover most of the loss as I do with any other type of holiday where payments are required in advance.

peedee

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook