Recommend sites to use a mobility scooter

Bhatcher replied on 06/01/2017 09:05

Posted on 06/01/2017 09:05

Hi My husband has MND and we have bought a small mobility scooter that fits on the bike rack of the motor caravan. However some sites have all gravel roads which don't work with small wheels. We want to go to the Lake District in March, has anyone any ideas of which sites might be good for us, or  do any sites anywhere have a larger mobility scooter that can be hired. Woodovis does, but that is the only one I have found..Thanks for any help to keep us touring.

JollyKernow replied on 14/01/2017 20:37

Posted on 14/01/2017 20:37

Hi,

Just for you info.on the club website, you can view the access statement for each site which will give you all the details you require. Choose any site, go to site details and then scroll down until you see the download access statement. they are very detailed about the whole site and very useful for anyone with a disability. Hope this is of help

JK

Bhatcher replied on 17/01/2017 08:05

Posted on 11/01/2017 09:13 by huskydog

We use a platform bolted to the tow bar ( it can be removed) from armitage trailors

Posted on 17/01/2017 08:05

I thought about this, but we have quite a long overhang from the back wheels, and thought the weight 106 kilos might effect the handling of the van.

Bhatcher replied on 23/01/2017 12:17

Posted on 07/01/2017 18:19 by brue

Both Keswick and Braithwaite Fold C&CC sites would be good for mobility scooters, both sites are near shops, parks and lakes with good pathways.

Posted on 23/01/2017 12:17

Thank you, I have booked both, and also one in Ullswater Waterfoot Park. I will report back after we have been to stay in March, in case it helps anyone else in the same position.

young thomas replied on 23/01/2017 14:12

Posted on 23/01/2017 14:12

rather than checking through all the sites as you are, and then looking (perhaps) to hire a different scooter thats more suitable, would it be possble to investigate having the current one uprated with larger wheels, or even moving to a different make/model that would be suitable for those obstacles you are looking to get over?

ISTM that by making one change, it might be possble to avoid the many changes and difficulties you might encounter at the venues you wish to visit.

just looking at this from an outsiders view, but as one who has noticed the differing styles and capabilities of the different machines on the market.

good look with your research...

Takethedogalong replied on 24/01/2017 10:01

Posted on 24/01/2017 10:01

Not the Lake District, but another good site with a mobility scooter would be Ferry Meadows. Site is level with good surfaces, and you have the adjacent country park as well. In Summer, the Nene Valley railway has a station close to the site, and you can get into Peterborough easily using this. There is a cycle way as well, but cannot remember if it would suit a ms all the way into Peterborough, seem to recall gates and some barriers to get through.

brue replied on 24/01/2017 19:22

Posted on 23/01/2017 12:17 by Bhatcher

Thank you, I have booked both, and also one in Ullswater Waterfoot Park. I will report back after we have been to stay in March, in case it helps anyone else in the same position.

Posted on 24/01/2017 19:22

Thanks for taking the time to reply, hope you enjoy your visits to the sites. I'm sure it will be a good idea to report back, these sort of threads are always useful. smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook