Route to Carsington Water advice needed

AuldyBaldy replied on 05/06/2022 13:49

Posted on 05/06/2022 13:49

Hi All.

I'm looking at possible routes to Carsington Water from Merseyside, towing a 7m Bailey caravan. Ordinarily I would expect to leave M6 at A500, then on to A52 to Ashbourne, before following the final approach instructions on the website. However, the instructions say not to use A52 due to steep incline.

From the west there doesn't appear to be another "sensible" route. I could go A50 south past Uttoxeter, before turning north again, or from north I could head over through Macclesfield and Leek. Both of these options mean large detours which don't appear to be necessary.

Has anyone got any experience of approaching this site from M6 (coming from north of Stoke on Trent)?

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Wherenext replied on 05/06/2022 19:21

Posted on 05/06/2022 19:21

We pick up your route MNL at the start of the M56 from north Wales whenever we are heading to the Peak District these days. Our preferred route and best on Sundays without the lorry traffic.

We've done the vast majority of routes.. Over the Cat & Fiddle or through Congleton and Leek, even from the A500 approaching from the South East once when getting to a CL between Ashbourne and Buxton and found Ashbourne a bit of a pain from that direction with cars parked just outside the entrance to the town causing a squeeze.

Unfortunately for the OP we've not done it the way he is asking! Sods Law.

AuldyBaldy replied on 19/06/2022 10:44

Posted on 19/06/2022 10:44

Thanks both. I'll Google that.

I'm wrong side of Merseyside to pick up M62, but I can go M53, M56 (probably easier anyway).

Bizarrely Google Maps came up with the same (non sensible) route that I did, so maybe it is sensible after all....

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook