SkyQ in caravan

young thomas replied on 01/03/2018 15:19

Posted on 01/03/2018 15:19

This has come up a few times...

i don't have one but from memory SkyQ needs a particular type of LNB on the dish (it will be changed at home as part of the install) but I believe it can run without an Internet connection (like sky+ HD) but a lot of the functionality (downloading etc) won't be available.

most of the ' essential connectivity' will still be via the dish.

ClubMember9AFDA8904E replied on 02/03/2018 20:34

Posted on 02/03/2018 20:34

Yes B.B. is correct.  We had one fitted Dec 17 and the LNB needed changing.  This is to allow the multi channel recording facility (up to 8 channels at a time).  It still uses two cables as SKY+ but is able to decode multi signals via the newer LNB and the gubbins in the q box.   Apparently according to our fitter you can’t buy these new ones outside sky at the moment.   I suppose, if you’ve got q then you could try with a stand-alone LNB, but the whole set up is much more complex than sky+, and I wouldn’t want to have to reset it every time it’s moved.   Least of all muck up the multi channel recordings set up by the OH.    I’ve long since left my sky box at home in favour of free view or free sat for the UK, the caravan tv has both.   Managed to ween myself off the need to have it whilst away.   

young thomas replied on 02/03/2018 21:06

Posted on 02/03/2018 21:06

We have two Sky+ boxes, one stays permanently in the van. The one in the van has a wifi adaptor (the home one has it built in) and I can use the home wifi to pair the card (after raising the dish) with the 'van' box.

a lot easier than moving boxes.

Deganwyman replied on 18/03/2018 07:52

Posted on 18/03/2018 07:52

Good Morning, I can confirm you can do it. I am currently away in my caravan and have sky q. you can't have the services requiring internet but I have full use with simultaneous recording and viewing, just as if you are at home. I have used this set up for over 12 months now when I'm away with no issues.
I purchased a Sky Hybrid LNB (circa £30). The reason for this is there are not many signal finders for the retail market equipped to find the say q signal so with a Hybrid you just connect to the 'HD' side and aim the dish (there are 6 connectors, 2 for Sky Q and 4 standard HD). You will need a self powered signal finder again these are relatively inexpensive.

Once the satellite signal is found simply remove the meter ( you can connect the the sky q satellite cables before or after as they connect to the two Wideband connectors)
I also purchased F-plug push on converters to make it easier to disconnect and reconnect the Q box.
On average it takes me 5 mins to set up the dish when I arrive including pegging it out etc.. Really easy :)

NutsyH replied on 18/03/2018 12:42

Posted on 18/03/2018 12:42

Hi Deganwyman

I use a self seeking dish so am wondering if that will need a software upgrade. From what you say it would seem that the sky q signal is a different waveband from the normal signal. Need to check this out.

Thanks for the info.

Paul

Foottaper replied on 08/07/2018 13:44

Posted on 08/07/2018 13:44

Hi Paul I also have a max view qube 2 self seeking system. I phoned there tec department and was told that it would not work with Sky Q and that they had no plans at present to upgrade it to do so. So only way round this is to take box from home and set up a dish with the bigger LNB if you can get hold of one.

See Deganwymans post above looks like He has got it cracked in the only way possible.

I have settled for a Sky Plus in the Van with a card available on ebay for about a £5 but cant get the premium channels that I am paying for. Would have been better off staying with Sky + HD and taking the box with me as I used to do.

But do have to say Sky Q is very good but feel that I have been penalised for upgrading to it.

NutsyH replied on 10/07/2018 16:23

Posted on 10/07/2018 16:23

Hi Footapper.

Noting what you say I think I'll stick with my Sky HD+. I have multiroom at home with premium chanels and just take one box away with me.

My self seek dish is an 80cm standalone and picks up Sky right down into the Murcia area of Spain. Winter nights need TV!

Cheers

Paul.

Pansyp84 replied on 03/08/2018 14:02

Posted on 18/03/2018 07:52 by Deganwyman

Good Morning, I can confirm you can do it. I am currently away in my caravan and have sky q. you can't have the services requiring internet but I have full use with simultaneous recording and viewing, just as if you are at home. I have used this set up for over 12 months now when I'm away with no issues.
I purchased a Sky Hybrid LNB (circa £30). The reason for this is there are not many signal finders for the retail market equipped to find the say q signal so with a Hybrid you just connect to the 'HD' side and aim the dish (there are 6 connectors, 2 for Sky Q and 4 standard HD). You will need a self powered signal finder again these are relatively inexpensive.

Once the satellite signal is found simply remove the meter ( you can connect the the sky q satellite cables before or after as they connect to the two Wideband connectors)
I also purchased F-plug push on converters to make it easier to disconnect and reconnect the Q box.
On average it takes me 5 mins to set up the dish when I arrive including pegging it out etc.. Really easy :)

Posted on 03/08/2018 14:02

Hi there was wondering, we have had sky HD boxes in our caravan for a year and have now changed to sky q we have bought the wider band sky LNB but still haven't had much joy in getting up and running, do you need to cables running from the LNB to the sky q BOX? Have tried getting the signal correct for the plus boxes then just changing LNB and connecting to Q box but still no joy, anyone any suggestions please surprisedyell

Deganwyman replied on 07/08/2018 22:44

Posted on 03/08/2018 14:02 by Pansyp84

Hi there was wondering, we have had sky HD boxes in our caravan for a year and have now changed to sky q we have bought the wider band sky LNB but still haven't had much joy in getting up and running, do you need to cables running from the LNB to the sky q BOX? Have tried getting the signal correct for the plus boxes then just changing LNB and connecting to Q box but still no joy, anyone any suggestions please surprisedyell

Posted on 07/08/2018 22:44

Both cables are required to be connected from limb to q box or there will be no signal.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook