Small Private Sites

Takethedogalong replied on 30/06/2019 15:50

Posted on 30/06/2019 15:50

I know a few members are like us and mix in a few none Club Sites into a tour. Thought I would open up a thread for folks to post website links to any nice sites they come across, that might interest others.

This one to start with http://www.thamesheadinn.co.uk/camping-caravan-sites-cirencester-glos.html

Just off A433 few miles from Cirencester, so ideal for Cotswolds area. Plenty to see and do in area, Pub is nice for food.

Moderator Edit:

This thread is for posting links and/or reviews.  Please don't use it to discuss the merits, or otherwise, of other people's choices.

Thank You.

Wherenext replied on 17/06/2022 20:12

Posted on 17/06/2022 20:12

Decided to break a journey from Suffolk to North Wales and stopped at a site about 5 miles from Stafford centre, so the same from the M6.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=9689

Although UKCS shows that they have a website I don't think they do but the owner was friendly enough when we rang for a pitch and payment taken in the shop upon arrival. 

It's basically a 30 pitch site on a farm that has a cafe, ice cream parlour (made from the milk of their own cows) and a menagerie of animals for the kids and their parents to look at. The menagerie is free but the ice-cream isn't! There are goats, llamas, cattle, sheep, ducks, guinea fowl etc. plus a bird rescue centre (charge made). 

The site itself has toilet block with showers, shared when shop open but exclusive for campers at other times. Pitches are mainly well mown grass with some hardstanding. We stayed the 1 night for £18 in June. Open all year round and an ideal stopover for anyone heading either across country or up and down the M6.

Takethedogalong replied on 17/06/2022 21:00

Posted on 17/06/2022 21:00

That would suit us very nice WN. Thanks very much. Stafford Castle is quite interesting, usually our lunch stop if heading over to Shropshire๐Ÿ‘

Wherenext replied on 17/06/2022 21:23

Posted on 17/06/2022 21:23

Yes Stafford Castle is interesting but it's a long time since I've been. About 50 years.laughing

Went on a school trip as my father was posted to the RAF camp there and I went to the local Grammar school for 2 years.

Nice campsite though as there was only the 6 of us on site last night and the manager spread us around which showed a bit of thought on his behalf.

AndyJF replied on 02/09/2022 13:51

Posted on 02/09/2022 13:51

I think people should be warned about where not to go too.

Takethedogalong replied on 24/11/2022 13:22

Posted on 02/09/2022 13:51 by AndyJF

Posted on 24/11/2022 13:22

Fine, Just do it on another thread please………๐Ÿ˜

Site recommended by others, Taunton area in Somerset

https://ashefarm.co.uk/

Another Site recommended, this time by someone fairly local. Edge of Bodmin Moor, Cardinham area Cornwall…

https://www.gwel-an-nans.co.uk/

DavidKlyne replied on 24/11/2022 15:07

Posted on 02/09/2022 13:51 by AndyJF

Posted on 24/11/2022 15:07

Surely that is what review sites are for? Not sure we should embroil CT in negative reports on non Club sites, there are plenty of other sites for that. 

David

nelliethehooker replied on 02/12/2022 20:37

Posted on 02/12/2022 20:37

Unlike some others who wish to keep their "special" small sites secret I will share the latest that I have used.

Edisford Bridge Farm Caravan and Camping Site is situated outside Clitheroe, just past the C&CC site, off the B6243. It has 30 H/S pitches and a newish toilet block, reception and common room. The pitches are well spaced, although rather narrow, and those wishing to erect an awning would have to utilise some of the grass area between the pitches. There are also a couple of grassed areas which take tents, and a large field for walking ones pet, but which may be used as a rally field. There is a pub round the corner from the site's entrance which does food but usually finishes serving around 8:30. We didn't eat there so cannot comment of the quality of the meals, but the beer was fine!!๐Ÿ˜ The site is reasonably priced and out of the peak season of July and August have a Monday to Thursday discount for the over 65s which is currently £16 pn, probably rising to £19 next year. The site does have seasonal pitches and closes from early January to the end of March. We will certainly not hesitate to return.

https://www.edisfordbridgecaravanandcamping.co.uk/index.php

moulesy replied on 02/05/2023 16:22

Posted on 02/05/2023 16:22

Anyone looking for a small, peaceful, out of the way site would do worse than to try this one that I walked past near the village of Appletreewick in the Yorkshire Dales today. Right on the Dales Way footpath, half way between Bolton Abbey and Burnsall. Only appeared to be one motorhome and a couple of tents there today. They also look to have 2 or 3 large "glamping" outfits on site, though no one usingvthem as far as I could see.

https://masonscampsite.co.uk/

moulesy replied on 02/05/2023 16:38

Posted on 02/05/2023 16:30 by Takethedogalong

Looks nice M๐Ÿ‘ Thanks for that, a very nice area to visit.

Posted on 02/05/2023 16:38

I think it would be ideal for you with your camper van - Mrs M drove that way and thought the access for larger caravans was OK but would need care. It's a beautiful spot though. smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook