Stopover on way to Oban

ggregu replied on 23/02/2020 10:53

Posted on 23/02/2020 10:53

Please can anybody advise where I could take a rest break on my journey up to Dallahulish Farm CL just north of Oban. I’m towing solo from North Lancs with an overnight stop at Strathclyde Country Park. The route I’m taking is A82 along Loch Lomond then A85. Are there lay byes along the road where I could stop for a rest break and quick dog walk?Ive had a look on Google Earth but it’s not really obvious.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

Gill

Takethedogalong replied on 23/02/2020 13:44

Posted on 23/02/2020 13:44

Kilchurn is beautiful. We saw it being used as an advertising location for launching the VW Golf Mk2 Convertible on one trip many years ago. The whole route around Loch Awe is stunning. Can highly recommend a visit to Oban Rare Breeds Park as well if it’s still there.

I am off to check out that CL you are using....🤔, we have no plans made yet for early Summer. It snowed last time we were there in June!😂

nelliethehooker replied on 23/02/2020 19:43

Posted on 23/02/2020 19:43

Ggregu, how did you manage to get booked on that CL? We've tried a couple of times in the past but it has always been full when we intended visiting.....Very jealous.  Enjoy your stay, and I agree that the Stirling - Callander route is better and a lot less stressful.

ggregu replied on 23/02/2020 21:40

Posted on 23/02/2020 19:43 by nelliethehooker

Ggregu, how did you manage to get booked on that CL? We've tried a couple of times in the past but it has always been full when we intended visiting.....Very jealous.  Enjoy your stay, and I agree that the Stirling - Callander route is better and a lot less stressful.

Posted on 23/02/2020 21:40

I was watching a program a couple of Friday nights ago which included some footage of Oban. Last time I was there I was a kid! Had a look for CLs in the area and came across this one. Emailed and spoke to the owner the following day. There was a pitch over the Easter period, so I booked!

Glad I checked the route with you more experienced towers. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes.

Sumitra replied on 24/02/2020 08:11

Posted on 23/02/2020 11:10 by Tinwheeler

Firstly, I'd not tow a caravan along the A82 by Loch Lomond. The road is bendy, narrow in places and with boulders protruding from the cliff. Great fun when you meet a coach or HGV hurtling towards you!

It's obviously your choice but we always use the more major route towards Stirling and then head west via Calender where there are 2 woollen mills with cafes and good car parks on your right on the western outskirts at Kilmahog.  

There is dog walking from the car park in Calender - on your left heading west - but I'm not sure about the viability of taking a caravan in there.

Posted on 24/02/2020 08:11

Thanks for that.We went to Oban some years ago towing a caravan.Had a great holiday but used the Loch Lomond route and couldn't face doing it again.Have just looked at the Stirling route and it looks much better.

nelliethehooker replied on 24/02/2020 19:40

Posted on 23/02/2020 21:40 by ggregu

I was watching a program a couple of Friday nights ago which included some footage of Oban. Last time I was there I was a kid! Had a look for CLs in the area and came across this one. Emailed and spoke to the owner the following day. There was a pitch over the Easter period, so I booked!

Glad I checked the route with you more experienced towers. Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes.

Posted on 24/02/2020 19:40

How lucky can you get!! Enjoy your stay.

Just a head's up......The road from Tyndrum to Connel Bridge is not the smoothest in the country, definitely one to take less quickly than normal.

EalingBob replied on 24/02/2020 22:23

Posted on 24/02/2020 22:23

I've travelled to Oban from the south quite a few times now and I think I've probably got the CAMC record!

The Loch Lomond route is certainly best avoided if towing. It's not a good option.. The Sterling route is OK  but you do get a lot of HGV's on that route.

The way I go is the same as the route the Glasgow/Oban bus takes.

Go along the dual carriageway along the side of Loch Lomond till you get to Arrochar then drive towards Inverary. At Inverary turn right go through the "arch" The rest of the route is straightforward.

There isn't much traffic though the road at the "Rest and be Thankful" is a little steep.  Plenty of places to stop.

welshwafu replied on 25/02/2020 18:35

Posted on 25/02/2020 18:35

agree with all of the other replies. I did the Lomond route to Skye towing a twin axle, took advice from an Eddie Stobbard trucker who had stayed the night alongside me in Hamilton services. I left Hamilton at 0630 on a wet Sunday morning in the belief "from advice" that the roads would be very quiet.  He was correct!! only met a few trucks, BUT,  my average speed was well down in the 25/ 30mph range with some extremely hairy "nose poking" around some very tight bends straddling the white line and worrying about scraping the tail of my outfit on the overhanging rocks, hoping that nothing was coming my way. NEVER AGAIN. Go the Sterling route, any extra miles is more than made up for  with the faster safer more relaxed drive. Found reasonable stopping places also.

PATMAU replied on 10/03/2020 20:44

Posted on 10/03/2020 20:44

Reading this thread brought back memories of our first time towing in Scotland end of the 70's.  No forum then to warn us about the Loch Lomond route.  Overhangs, logging lorries and coach drivers with a mike in one hand and only one on the wheel, what a journey  I described it as "a knicker changing" experience.  Lol.  Now it's the Stirling route for us.

SuttonColdfield replied on 29/07/2020 19:36

Posted on 29/07/2020 19:36

The question is to my mind evidence of the dearth of stopovers in the UK in particular for the motorhomes in the club. I got to thinking about this when my son, who is borrowing our motorhome over this coming weekend was wondering where he was going to stay overnight in the Lake District which must rank as the most popular of all the places in the UK for people like ourselves to go to. If you look it up on all the forums for motorhomes you will find three in the whole of that district which considering we in the UK are supposed to number a quarter of a million owners begs the question what are we doing about it?

I have recently joined the ranks of motorhomes since 2018 having been a "tugger" since 1977(?). Much of our experience has been in Europe and we have learnt that tugging and motorhoming are two different animals as it were. Tuggers generally go to a site and pitch for a few days, a week, a fortnight etc whereas a motorhomer will stop one night here, one night there as the whim takes us but in the UK mostly this is not a happy experience. For example, I go to a conference annually in Somerset in the latish autumn and found a place I could stop overnight just inside Wiltshire wh said that yes you can over-night there. However, this year when I enquired, no you cannot stop overnight so I have had to think again. I will not bore you with what happened next as this is not relevant to this reply. What seems to be the issue here is that many councils seem. to be actively against motorhomes and/or caravans going to their places forgetting that we will come again if it is a place that welcomes us and we will spend our money there on food, water, entertainment , etc.

In Germany and especially in France you will find that virtually all the villages and towns you pass through will have a dedicated motorhome stop some being only a few minutes walk into the town centre, no booking, just turn up. We have had some wonderful places to stay overnight alongside canals, river banks, in the centre of villages and they provide you with water, sometimes for a small fee, sometime electricity again for a fee but you have then general feeling of being welcomed.

Isi it not time that we flex a bit of muscle especially as out club name includes the word "motorhome" and really take the fact that foreign visitors who come here from Europe in their motorhome are going to be struggling if not booked onto a CL, club site or commercial site. By the way, the CL concept seems to be a unique concept as far as Europe is concerned as you will find many countries do not allow wild camping. So I would be pleased to know what our club is doing to improve the lot of the motrohomers especially they seem to be a growing number of late.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook