TV signal at Clumber campsite

DiverPhil replied on 16/11/2019 17:50

Posted on 16/11/2019 17:50

It's  been awhile since we've been there, the info tells me that there is a booster system.

What are the chances of us getting a signal without connecting to the bollard?

We appear to have come away without our long lead surprised

Thanks folks 

Tinwheeler replied on 16/11/2019 23:07

Posted on 16/11/2019 22:25 by DavidKlyne

If the signal came via a satellite surely you would have the whole range of local programmes across the country as I did with my roof mounted dish on my previous motorhome?  I have only seen aerials on Club sites. When I have used the bollard connections you can only get programmes from one or perhaps two local transmitters which would also suggest an aerial rather than a satellite receiver? 

Posted on 16/11/2019 23:07

The site operator could choose which satellite channels to push out on the booster system. Have you never met this?

Then there’s cable provision, again without the full range of channels as desired.

Then there’s the system as in use at Stover with a central aerial that just needs your own aerial to be directed at it.

I’ve no idea what they do at Clumber but things aren’t as cut and dried as you implied, David, as what you receive via a normal aerial or dish doesn’t necessarily relate to commercial booster systems.

SteveL replied on 16/11/2019 23:25

Posted on 16/11/2019 23:25

At the majority of CC sites we have stayed at. The TV channels have had exactly the same freeview numbers as those at home, sometimes 100 or so channels. As DK pointed out, when tuning in you are often presented with more than one region. At Clumber its East Midlands or Yorkshire. If you choose EM you get hardly any viable channels, as even with the booster it is weak.

Buxton certainly used to be Satellite derived, as was Morvich. Although when we recently visited Buxton I think it is now freeview.

DiverPhil replied on 16/11/2019 23:47

Posted on 16/11/2019 23:47

Thanks everyone, will just give it a try when we arrive, not about to buy another coax from the office as I have 2 at home and a big drum of coax cable. Might get some in Worksop as we will be going,  its where OH comes from (Tammygirl) laughing

Only there for a couple of nights so no problem if we don't get a signal . I think the last time we were there we had the MH so had the roof dish. 

Thanks for your help.

Amesford replied on 17/11/2019 12:11

Posted on 16/11/2019 17:50 by DiverPhil

It's  been awhile since we've been there, the info tells me that there is a booster system.

What are the chances of us getting a signal without connecting to the bollard?

We appear to have come away without our long lead surprised

Thanks folks 

Posted on 17/11/2019 12:11

Don't you have the phone app "Antenna Aligner"?  that should give the signal strength of the local TV transmitters as well as there direction and polarisation and according to the app from that site the Belmont transmitter is showing a signal strength of 4 out 5 bars a direction of 83 deg and horizontal 

nelliethehooker replied on 17/11/2019 19:34

Posted on 17/11/2019 12:11 by Amesford

Don't you have the phone app "Antenna Aligner"?  that should give the signal strength of the local TV transmitters as well as there direction and polarisation and according to the app from that site the Belmont transmitter is showing a signal strength of 4 out 5 bars a direction of 83 deg and horizontal 

Posted on 17/11/2019 19:34

Not a lot of good at Clumber as phone/wifi signals are zilch!!

Tammygirl replied on 17/11/2019 20:15

Posted on 17/11/2019 20:15

Yes OH, does have an app but as we are not there yet and knowing others on here would be able to offer their help he asked.

As he said last time there we had satellite on the MH so used that. This time it will be the caravan aerial  (or nothing frown )

NTH,  pretty much what I told OH smile

SteveL replied on 17/11/2019 20:30

Posted on 17/11/2019 20:30

As NH says mobiles don't work there, despite coverage checkers saying they should. Although the TV signal might be four out of five bars  at the top of a pole, such as the CC put their aerial on, it certainly isn't at normal caravan / MH height. The problem with all these Apps is they only rely on topography and don't take into account other factors, such as a high density of fairly high trees or buildings.

obbernockle replied on 17/11/2019 21:03

Posted on 17/11/2019 21:03

You could always resort to talking, playing cards, have a drink or all of them.

Tammygirl replied on 17/11/2019 21:20

Posted on 17/11/2019 21:03 by obbernockle

You could always resort to talking, playing cards, have a drink or all of them.

Posted on 17/11/2019 21:20

laughinglaughinglaughing knew that one would come out at some point.

Simple answer is, I want to wink

OH rarely posts on here I wonder why yell

Many thanks to those who gave useful info.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook