UK touring - Do you need to book in advance?

Acorn replied on 17/01/2017 20:29

Posted on 17/01/2017 20:29

Hi,

We have started planning our 2 week "big" summer holiday and are going to stay in the UK this year instead of our usual trip across the channel. We'll be going end of June, so out of school holiday time.

Can anyone advise me please - is it possible to tour around, doing a few nights here, a few nights there without booking in advance? Are pitches available in most places if you just turn up?

We haven't really decided exactly where to go (but are having fun looking!), but on the possible list is North Wales, Lake District, Northumberland coast and Scotland. The reason for asking is that we've never really tried it before, but have always struggled to get availability mid-September in Devon and Dorset, especially on club sites, and that's booking 2-3 months in advance. I'm not sure if that is particular to the location or time of year?

Any insights appreciated, TIA.

Takethedogalong replied on 18/01/2017 12:01

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:01

Flexibility is the key. We seldom book more than a few days in advance when we tour, unless one of the places we decide to use usually gets very busy. Club Sites are a case in point. Some, usually those with lots of facilities, HS, close to cities or coastal hotspots such as Scarborough, Looe etc... Will be busy.

However, if you are adaptable and able to use sites such as nice CLs, small private sites, farm sites, the other Club's network of CS sites, then you can tour quite easily without too much booking ahead. Having the capacity to enjoy your holiday without needing HS, EHU and shower/toilet blocks will make things a lot easier, but I appreciate that this doesn't apply to everyone. There really is nothing nicer in the height of Summer than finding a hidden gem of a site and having it almost totally to yourself, and immersing yourself into the landscape, sharing it with local wild life and avian visitors.

replied on 18/01/2017 12:01

Posted on 18/01/2017 11:50 by JVB66

I am with ET ,Sun -Thurs nights  in June is not normally a problem, except on the few well known "honey pots" and if you are also thinking you like where you are, a word with the site staff we find normally gets a positive outcome for the w/end

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:01

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

replied on 18/01/2017 12:09

Posted on 18/01/2017 10:34 by

There is no need to book with caravans either (in Europe) and nor do I phone ahead 

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:09

The OP is asking about UK David. 

replied on 18/01/2017 12:11

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:01 by Takethedogalong

Flexibility is the key. We seldom book more than a few days in advance when we tour, unless one of the places we decide to use usually gets very busy. Club Sites are a case in point. Some, usually those with lots of facilities, HS, close to cities or coastal hotspots such as Scarborough, Looe etc... Will be busy.

However, if you are adaptable and able to use sites such as nice CLs, small private sites, farm sites, the other Club's network of CS sites, then you can tour quite easily without too much booking ahead. Having the capacity to enjoy your holiday without needing HS, EHU and shower/toilet blocks will make things a lot easier, but I appreciate that this doesn't apply to everyone. There really is nothing nicer in the height of Summer than finding a hidden gem of a site and having it almost totally to yourself, and immersing yourself into the landscape, sharing it with local wild life and avian visitors.

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:11

replied on 18/01/2017 12:12

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:09 by

The OP is asking about UK David. 

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:12

Takethedogalong replied on 18/01/2017 12:49

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:11 by

TDL

Do you ever actually turn up without even ringing ahead because thats my definition of "travelling without booking " 

Posted on 18/01/2017 12:49

We used to AD, for example, when we used to stop at Threeways/Marazion. It had one area that had no hook ups, so it seldom got booked up. Likewise with places such as Nunnykirk, Much Wenlock, Bromyard Downs. Experience taught us that most folks like a EHU and/or HS, particularly if weather is a bit changeable. We can manage perfectly well without either of these, at least other than in a very cold wet Winter. Nowadays you would have to check if a Club Site is your intended destination, especially if a weekend is included. 

CLs, especially some of our favourites, have become more popular, so if we intend staying a long time (say a week) in one place, I would use mobile to check. If we are touring, then we usually look at options in area, bearing in mind CLs/CS's only offer a maximum of 5 pitches. We went to North Norfolk in August Summer before last, phoned whilst on our way down, and found ourselves completely alone on a lovely back of beyond CS! All the towns, villages, Club Sites were heaving at the time, so we were rather lucky! Mobile phones have made checking sites a lot easier, so we do take advantage of this nowadays, but finding a site full and moving on has found us some hidden gems! 

I have to add that we won't pay silly money to stay on a basic site, it has to represent good value, so that is a self imposed limitation for us. 

I like the idea of being able to move on and know you could get a pitch on Continent though, but we would have to like the site, be our kind of place, or we would look at other options.

Pippah45 replied on 18/01/2017 15:44

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:44

Sadly to say weekends seem to be getting a problem for those of us who like to travel on a whim so you will need to book or be prepared to trawl round for alternatives.  I like to move on if there is a rainy day forecast - might as well drive in moderate rain than get wet looking round!  Sites away from the CC can sometimes be useful - I have found the other club booking system can lead to weekends not being booked up so much in advance. 

Fisherman replied on 18/01/2017 15:46

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:46

Why with the new IT they don't put late availability for week days. Would also help to fill  those empty spaces. Some would say that the update has been so poor it would not be reliable anyway.

nelliethehooker replied on 18/01/2017 20:20

Posted on 18/01/2017 15:46 by Fisherman

Why with the new IT they don't put late availability for week days. Would also help to fill  those empty spaces. Some would say that the update has been so poor it would not be reliable anyway.

Posted on 18/01/2017 20:20

You said it all in your last sentence. Would you want to rely on the list to be sure of a pitch? I'm sure that I wouldn't

Grumblewagon replied on 19/01/2017 16:34

Posted on 19/01/2017 16:34

Normally I would say, stay as flexible as possible and don't book in advance.  Unfortunately you're wanting to visit the most popular places in the country, but at the end of June, you shouldn't have too much trouble.  I don't think that the Scottish school holidays have a lot of influence on availability.

When you say Scotland, where do you mean - it's a big place. Some places will be crowded and other places will be quiet.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook