UK touring - Do you need to book in advance?

Acorn replied on 17/01/2017 20:29

Posted on 17/01/2017 20:29

Hi,

We have started planning our 2 week "big" summer holiday and are going to stay in the UK this year instead of our usual trip across the channel. We'll be going end of June, so out of school holiday time.

Can anyone advise me please - is it possible to tour around, doing a few nights here, a few nights there without booking in advance? Are pitches available in most places if you just turn up?

We haven't really decided exactly where to go (but are having fun looking!), but on the possible list is North Wales, Lake District, Northumberland coast and Scotland. The reason for asking is that we've never really tried it before, but have always struggled to get availability mid-September in Devon and Dorset, especially on club sites, and that's booking 2-3 months in advance. I'm not sure if that is particular to the location or time of year?

Any insights appreciated, TIA.

Grumblewagon replied on 21/01/2017 19:38

Posted on 21/01/2017 19:38

Certainly Dumfries & Galloway would be a natural next step after the Lake district.  As for going further north, most people will recommend the west coast.  I live on the East and if I recommend that, locals get annoyed because they want to keep the beautiful quiet beaches, countryside, distilleries etc... to themselves. 

Morvich and Kinlochewe are lovely sites -but the midgies can make your life hell.  I speak from experience. 

Seriously, if you don't want to stretch your time too much,  Dumfries & Galloway is a good bet.  There are quite a few (and varied) festivals over the summer.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook