Where to eat near caravan sites during Covid 19

charlie25 replied on 15/09/2020 16:04

Posted on 15/09/2020 16:04

We have just got back home from our three week tour and stayed at Bourton-on-the-Water, Camelford and Exebridge Lakeside and found it very difficult to find places to eat . Most of the time we cooked outside the caravan because a lot of the place we use to have lunch at were either closed, takeaway, or you had to book online. I think it would be helpful if on reviews if  people could recommend cafes, pubs etc that are open and safe to eat at. We recommend Burford Garden Centre.

Takethedogalong replied on 16/09/2020 11:14

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:14

Thanks JVB, it’s as we expected, really. We might go to Brancaster Beach, as it’s possibly easiest for Mum to walk onto, but we shall park up places like Cley Marshes, Titchwell and inland a bit where it’s likely to be a bit quieter. Hoping to do timed visits to Blickling, Felbrigg to look around Gardens, and I think someone mentioned Houghton was open as well. We have been to Sandringham before, so not on our list. It’s the churches we will miss the most if they are locked. I might brave the Hat Shop in Burnham Market if it looks well organised.

Its about a change of scenery for Mum really, cottage is large and has a big garden, so even this will be a change. 😁

Metheven replied on 16/09/2020 11:18

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:18

We are not into indoors eating at the moment when out and about, but have no problem sitting outside.

Baltic Wharf, say no more other than many eating areas outside.

Carsington water the Visitor centre did very acceptable meals at the upstairs and outside restaurant with snacks hot and cold available from the downstairs cafe.

Clumber Park, we visited 'Friar Tucks' twice for a greasy breakfast sitting at one of the outside tables, also jacket potato at the NT centre but the amount of packaging dismayed me a little. I know the reasoning behind it but wow, the landfill from all this must really amount to something. Cycled into Worksop and found somewhere to eat outside along the main drag, plenty of takeaways or eat in but had to search hard for outdoor seating area. Also used the visiting Pizza van to site twice, very enjoyable and as you can read we don't like cooking when away.

replied on 16/09/2020 11:45

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:45

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 16/09/2020 11:56

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:14 by Takethedogalong

Thanks JVB, it’s as we expected, really. We might go to Brancaster Beach, as it’s possibly easiest for Mum to walk onto, but we shall park up places like Cley Marshes, Titchwell and inland a bit where it’s likely to be a bit quieter. Hoping to do timed visits to Blickling, Felbrigg to look around Gardens, and I think someone mentioned Houghton was open as well. We have been to Sandringham before, so not on our list. It’s the churches we will miss the most if they are locked. I might brave the Hat Shop in Burnham Market if it looks well organised.

Its about a change of scenery for Mum really, cottage is large and has a big garden, so even this will be a change. 😁

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:56

We've had bar meals in the garden of The Village Inn at West Runton TDA, looks like they're only doing outside eating just now, with a limited menu (like many places) dogs are welcome. The cafe down at the beach isn't very wonderful but has sea views. A coffee on Cromer Pier, that's nice too and the Pavillion Bar is dog friendly. A good local place to park the M/H is on the cliff side car parks at East Runton. No dogs at the Cley Marshes vistor centre, so park up elsewhere. Hope you all enjoy it! smile

eurortraveller replied on 16/09/2020 11:57

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:57

It's terribly difficult to recommend places to eat because people's taste varies so much - for instance anyone coming to Cornwall might sensibly stop off at the Lydford site (for Dartmoor walks, National Trust gorge, and the Granite Way cycle trail) and for meals there is a choice of the Castle Inn and the Dartmoor Inn. Both are within walking distance of the site - but they are absolutely different in style, price, menus, customer base, and general ambience. We like them both , but how can I tell which one other Club members would prefer? 

Goldie146 replied on 16/09/2020 14:04

Posted on 16/09/2020 14:04

I’ve just checked back to my review of New England Bay to see if I mentioned eating out, and I’m sorry I didn’t ! Just where to shop.

We went to one of our favourite places twice - The Old Colfin Creamery 

https://www.theoldcolfincreamery.com/.

We had been before so knew it was clean and spaced out. We had an Afternnoon Tea and lunch another day. About 15/20 minutes drive from the site.

We also went to The Galloway Smokehouse (specifically for their Cullen Skink) - about a 40 minute drive. The only problem was hearing the waiter’s voice through his visor.

https://www.gallowaysmokehouse.co.uk/about/galloway-fisherman-cafe/

Both times the premises felt safe, and all precautions were being taken.

I like cooking - but not the daily grind of farm meals produced on time (12:30) every day.

Sometimes I long for someone else to plan what to cook.

I agree it’s difficult to recommend restaurants etc, as people like different things. Hearty “Pub Grub” is not for me.

JVB66 replied on 16/09/2020 20:25

Posted on 16/09/2020 11:14 by Takethedogalong

Posted on 16/09/2020 20:25

We did Felbrigg without a booking one morning and were allowed in but do not try at Sherringham Park

Francis replied on 17/09/2020 01:22

Posted on 17/09/2020 01:22

When we were staying at West Aytom Club site near Scarborough a few weeks ago we had dinner out quite a few times. The pub near the site aye Old Forge Inn do nice meals and were very well set up for the current climate we pre booked about an hour before arriving and had our own allocated table and the food was excellent also they were taking contact details. We also took a wander down most nights just for a drink and never had any issues getting in. We also had dinner one evening at the Fox and Rabbit near Pickering this time we just showed up but they were able to accommodate us in the lovely bar area and again the meal was great and contact details being taken. Most of the pubs in York were open too we had lunch outside at the White Swan in the city centre busy but well spaced out 

AnnB replied on 17/09/2020 09:18

Posted on 17/09/2020 09:18

Have only eaten out once since March but then before coronavirus struck we would probably only eat out once a month.

Our camping trips are short and (fairly) local because of caring responsibilities so we tend to take meals with us. The only exception this summer was a walk to the cafe down the lane from the Wirral site a few weeks ago, and then it was only for a drink and an ice cream.

Very well organised, eating at outside table only which were cleaned (as were the seats) after every customer, details taken for Track and Trace.

We are off to Burrs again this weekend and may go in the Brown Cow but will see how busy it is. It’s typical pub food but they have a big beer garden and are also doing take-aways which is very handy.

The cafe at the side was also doing take-away meals when we were there in July so if we don’t want to cook we have 2 options within 25 metres of the site entrance.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook