WaterAid - Some information Please.

Kennine replied on 12/02/2018 16:43

Posted on 12/02/2018 16:43

For more than the last 35 years we have donated to Oxfam via a monthly Direct Debit.--- With that organisation now being under serious investigation it's now time for us to change charities. 

I like the very important idea of providing clean drinking water to communities all over the developing world and would be happy to set up a monthly DD to the WaterAid charity. Does anyone on this forum donate to WaterAid and if so are they a good charity to deal with.  Any advice welcome. 

Thanks  K

brue replied on 12/02/2018 20:47

Posted on 12/02/2018 20:47

I do know people who have set up types of aid on their own, (including water) you don't have to be a big charity to have an impact. You might find something near you Kennine, it's surprising what people achieve in small groups with local backing in the UK. They are often more accountable too.

ValDa replied on 13/02/2018 09:09

Posted on 13/02/2018 09:09

We supported a local charity which does something like that, but on a local basis.  It was started by my son's school years ago, when a young girl from a village in Africa sent a letter to the school via someone passing through, giving her plan in life.  Each year the school had a special 'day' for fund-raising, and the charity gradually grew outside the school as pupils moved on.  Now the village has water, a school, access to healthcare, and a lot more - all funded and some actually built by local volunteers.   Some of the pupils have been over to the village and worked on these projects. The little girl is now a lawyer!  

Having said all that, a friend of mine, who died recently, left a clause in her will, stating that her donation to Water Aid was to be continued - and left an amount in trust so it would carry on.  She was a very 'canny' giver, and knew a lot about all the charities she supported.

Kennine replied on 13/02/2018 09:40

Posted on 13/02/2018 09:40

Thanks for the advice folks, Much to consider.  ---- K

Kennine replied on 13/02/2018 11:58

Posted on 13/02/2018 11:58

Gone and went and dunnit..... Cancelled long standing D/D with Oxfam and set up a new one with WaterAid. 

IMO helping to give developing countries clean drinking water goes a long way to improving their overall health.. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook