Happy Birthday Rupert

brue replied on 08/11/2020 10:09

Posted on 08/11/2020 10:09

I did love the books but unfortunately I have a horrible association with them...being allowed to read them in the dentist's chair (if you remember what dentists used to be like!?) wink

Cornersteady replied on 08/11/2020 10:31

Posted on 08/11/2020 10:31

I only know as my wife is a follower of Rupert and she collects the annuals and has originals going all the way back to 1952, they used to be quite cheap in second hand book shops but now are getting expensive the further back you go. She has the 'infamous' 1960 one where our dashing bear goes to a certain island whose name would certainty not be allowed to be published today! 

Yes Brue, know exactly what you mean, I had to use the free local authority one and can still remember the waiting room with the old metal frame and simple fabric chairs and the dentist chair itself, all black leather and metal arms. Still sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it!

replied on 08/11/2020 11:27

Posted on 08/11/2020 10:31 by Cornersteady

I only know as my wife is a follower of Rupert and she collects the annuals and has originals going all the way back to 1952, they used to be quite cheap in second hand book shops but now are getting expensive the further back you go. She has the 'infamous' 1960 one where our dashing bear goes to a certain island whose name would certainty not be allowed to be published today! 

Yes Brue, know exactly what you mean, I had to use the free local authority one and can still remember the waiting room with the old metal frame and simple fabric chairs and the dentist chair itself, all black leather and metal arms. Still sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it!

Posted on 08/11/2020 11:27

The user and all related content has been deleted

Takethedogalong replied on 08/11/2020 12:29

Posted on 08/11/2020 12:29

We got Rupert annuals as children as well, probably stillhave some up at Mum’s.

I love newspaper cartoons. Didn’t collect Rupert, but I do have lots of Giles Annuals. Great to leaf through as they are funny history. And he had an Airedale!👍

replied on 08/11/2020 18:23

Posted on 08/11/2020 18:23

Wherenext replied on 08/11/2020 18:54

Posted on 08/11/2020 18:54

Alfred Bestall took over the illustrations of Rupert after the original illustrator, the wife of one of the newspapers sub-editors, had eyesight problems some 15 years or so after they first came out in 1920. 

Most of the background illustrations of the geography are based on Alfred's local area in Bedgellert so Snowdonia mountains featured quite a bit. This titbit gleaned from my walking magazine which only recently had an article in it about Rupert and Alfred.

Not a big fan myself but my sister was so day trips anywhere would see her seeking out memorabilia. Wish I'd nicked some of it in view of what WTG has just said.smile

replied on 08/11/2020 19:03

Posted on 08/11/2020 18:54 by Wherenext

Alfred Bestall took over the illustrations of Rupert after the original illustrator, the wife of one of the newspapers sub-editors, had eyesight problems some 15 years or so after they first came out in 1920. 

Most of the background illustrations of the geography are based on Alfred's local area in Bedgellert so Snowdonia mountains featured quite a bit. This titbit gleaned from my walking magazine which only recently had an article in it about Rupert and Alfred.

Not a big fan myself but my sister was so day trips anywhere would see her seeking out memorabilia. Wish I'd nicked some of it in view of what WTG has just said.smile

Posted on 08/11/2020 19:03

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook