Ada Lovelace, a female icon.

Wherenext replied on 22/01/2021 19:54

Posted on 22/01/2021 19:54

This is an unusual place to find myself, in the Entertainment section, but I sat down with a coffee just after 2 pm today and watched a fascinating programme about this remarkable lady, under the auspice of Learning Online Broadcasting on BBC2.

I knew about her history but anyone involved in Computing must regard her as one the greats. The obstacles placed in front of women in the mid 1800s were almost insurmountable, even for the daughter of Lord Byron, but her place in Computer programming must now be assured. A bit like a Painter whose works are only recognised decades after his/her death.

Whilst no computer nerd, by a long shot, I did enjoy the programme. Mrs WN was gobsmacked that I spent a full hour watching a programme I didn't even know was on.smile

brue replied on 22/01/2021 20:08

Posted on 22/01/2021 20:08

If you're ever in Totnes WN the museum there has a Charles Babbage area (his family came from Totnes) and there are some interesting displays about this pair of friends. smile

Bakers2 replied on 23/01/2021 16:03

Posted on 23/01/2021 16:03

Wherenext thanks for highlighting this programme I watched it on iPlayer this afternoon. Really informative, but I still have trouble with the actual concept 😱 of how it works! A bit like listening to Brian Cox explaining the universe, I sort of get it, but doesn't compute 🤣 completely!

I like Dr Hannah Fry and enjoy Rutherford and Fry on radio4. Incidently Adam Rutherford has been very ill with long COVID 🙁

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook