Climate Change-The Truth

mickysf replied on 18/04/2019 07:21

Posted on 18/04/2019 07:21

This TV program views tonight and is presented by David Attenborough. A very serious subject by all accounts and possibly one we should all watch. I guess much of that discussed will impact seriously on the future of the pastime we currently and collectively enjoy. 

brue replied on 21/04/2019 13:46

Posted on 21/04/2019 12:30 by DavidKlyne

Has anyone managed to stop using plastic bags? I haven't.

Not entirely  although I reckon we have been pretty good at avoiding them for the last ten years. When Waitrose started their self scanning Check Check scheme, probably over ten years ago now. Those that signed up to self scan were given a set of hessian type bags, some of which we are still using today. So I suppose we have at least not used 3000 plastic bags for our shopping over that time and probably more. When we shop elsewhere for the likes of food we always take a bag with us. Where I am not so good and tend to pay 5p for a bag is when I buy clothes, which is not that often anyway. I noticed on Thursday that Waitrose now no longer offer plastic bags at the till points but direct you to their range of hessian bags.

David

Posted on 21/04/2019 13:46

This is one of the interesting things to me (just come inside, it's too hot out there today  wink) is what we're doing with plastic and where it goes. I take plastic bags with me plus a fabric bag if I'm doing a food shop. Inevitably someone at home says "is there a bag spare for this, that or the other" and I end up buying another one.

I'm giving myself a pep talk here...I will try to take fabric bags,the sort that fold away to nearly nothing. I hate the thought that oceans and rivers are filling up with plastic and we're all ingesting it via the food chain.

I suppose if things get really bad we can all be recycled due to our plastic content? smilewink

Takethedogalong replied on 21/04/2019 14:01

Posted on 21/04/2019 14:01

We have all sorts of bags, OH has his little TDeF musette bag he carries around, I have a string bag in my rucksack, and something folded in my handbag, and various bags in each car. But there’s always that oh dear moment when you realise you need another one. Supermarkets bug me, everything is either in plastic or double wrapped.  I think one of them is going to trial single veg items and do away with wrapping things that don’t need it. We are only two months into having plastic recycling pickups by our Council, but it composes by far the most rubbish we collect. We had to collect it and drive to dump it site up to March of this year.

I would happily swop either paper collection or general rubbish for another garden bin. Even composting like we do, we still have too much to compost, and some things you just don’t want in compost! 

Cornersteady replied on 21/04/2019 19:33

Posted on 21/04/2019 19:33

I don't buy plastic bags anymore but we always buy the large bags for life things at 50p a go. However the majority of the time we forget to take them it when shopping and then buy another few. So both cars have one with all the ones we have bought in them. There is also one full bag in the kitchen and one full one the garage!

Takethedogalong replied on 21/04/2019 20:40

Posted on 21/04/2019 20:40

Sounds like us as well. But those big bags are good for a lot of other things as well.......in fact, punch a few holes in one and I suspect you could grow some nice potatoes!😁

mickysf replied on 22/04/2019 10:10

Posted on 19/04/2019 23:11 by Vulcan

So who do you hold responsible for the never-ending, natural process of global warming and cooling (climate change), that occurred in the millions of years preceding the industrial revolution and the invention of the internal combustion engine etc.

Posted on 22/04/2019 10:10

Yes, it's true, the Earth’s climate does go through natural cycles of warming and cooling. But the current warming this century is completely out of sync with previous cycles, extremely rapid and the gain in temperature is huge. It's caused by anthropogenic (man-made) factors due to human activities such as burning coal, oil and gas for energy and cutting down trees to make way for agriculture. What is happening now to the extent it is can't be explained by natural factors alone. Global temperatures have been rising for over a century, accelerating in the past 30 years, and are now the highest since records began. The overwhelming scientific data and opinion supports these facts. Few scientist, and their number is reducing, believe in the contrary as more data and satellite imaging proves human activity needs to address the concerns. It is those anthropogenic factors which are now being addressed.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook