Kilimanjaro for Comic Relief

moulesy replied on 14/03/2019 21:05

Posted on 14/03/2019 21:05

Did anyone else watch this last night? I usually avoid these sort of celebrity challenges like the plague - I'm just always very aware of the huge back up teams making sure these precious souls don't fail!  wink

And I spent the first 20 minutes or so hating all the dramatic tears and breakdowns and forced bonhomie. But I'm glad I stuck with it because in the end I was very impressed by the way they stuck to their task and supported each other. I though the two young girls from Little Mix were good, as was Shirley Ballas.  And what about Ed Balls? Strange that, like Michael Portillo before him he seems to have become so much more human and likeable since being dumped out of politics.

Worth a look on iPlayer if you missed it! smile

SteveL replied on 15/03/2019 08:32

Posted on 15/03/2019 08:32

Also very impressed by their perseverance. It was no little undertaking. One hadn't even camped before. The back up teams don't concern me, they are required for the safety of those taking part. Major mountaineering  expeditions often involve a large contingent of helpers, just to get one or two to the summit. Well worth downloading.

Metheven replied on 15/03/2019 10:01

Posted on 15/03/2019 10:01

Well done to them, my wife suffered from altitude sickness when climbing Moroccos' Mt Toubkal at over 4000 metres in 2013 and says it's a very frightening experience.

These climbers ascended another 1000 metres so credit to them all. Incidentally, in all these outdoor documentaries no verbal recognition is ever given to the cameramen who also work in addition to the walking and climbing.

brue replied on 15/03/2019 10:10

Posted on 15/03/2019 10:10

I missed this so will catch up on i player. Also looking forward to the reworked mini film of Four Weddings and a Funeral on Comic Relief. smile

Bakers2 replied on 15/03/2019 10:28

Posted on 15/03/2019 10:01 by Metheven

Well done to them, my wife suffered from altitude sickness when climbing Moroccos' Mt Toubkal at over 4000 metres in 2013 and says it's a very frightening experience.

These climbers ascended another 1000 metres so credit to them all. Incidentally, in all these outdoor documentaries no verbal recognition is ever given to the cameramen who also work in addition to the walking and climbing.

Posted on 15/03/2019 10:28

Missed it myself, hope to get it on catch up.

I agree so much with you about the camera and soundrecording folks. They are the real unsung heroes as without them the celebrities wouldn't get the same coverage. It also applies to programmes about wildlife etc, they too put themselves in the frontline.

Yes there are always large unsung back up teams, I was most disappointed when I discover the real truth about Hillary's conquest of Everest. I wasn't born when he did it but always assumed it was just him! I was around for the moon landings so knew that there was so much that went into the mission before man walked on the moon 😂

ABM replied on 18/03/2019 15:08

Posted on 18/03/2019 15:08

Not  wishing  to  disagree,  B2,  but  some  of  the  explorers  like  Gordon  Buchanan  leave  the  main  campsite  in  the  tender  care  of  the  Base  Camp  Staff.  Then they  wander  off  carrying  all  their  own  kit ,  in  Buchanan's  case  that  can  include  tent, cooking kit  food,  water  PLUS  about  4  automatic  cameras  to  tie  to  trees  or  stake  out  in  the  sand  or  snow. All  this  excluding  his  own  high quality  shoulder  mounted  camera  !!  He's  regularly  seen  up  in  the  far  north  of  America  filming  wolves,  or  over  in  Indonesia  etc  looking  for  new  species  surprised

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook