Rose Theatre, York. 2019

replied on 23/11/2018 23:23

Posted on 23/11/2018 23:23

The user and all related content has been deleted

Takethedogalong replied on 24/11/2018 00:12

Posted on 24/11/2018 00:12

We went WTG, saw Dick III. Theatre is impressive considering it was built from scratch. We bought seats, very cheap if you stand up in the pit, bit more for a seat. You’d stay dry in a seat as well. There was an interesting Elizabethan village as part of set up, food, drinks, some entertainments, nice herb garden.

They did the whole play, surprisingly long, and unless you know Shakespeare, a bit wordy in places. It was a strange setting, rather than set in War of Roses time, transposed to  modern times. Guns and 1930s dress. Some of the roles had opposite sex cast, eg Duke of Buckingham was a female. It worked because she was a good actor. Acting was good, couple of squeaky females killed off early, but rest were very good. The actors were well up to the roles, good delivery and pace, easy to understand, none of the over theatrical delivery.

Would we go again? Definitely, it was good value for money and something very different. Our night coincided with England’s penalty shoot out in World Cup, so the whole of York was buzzing, we heard every goal, but it was good.

Top tips, choose your play carefully, book a seat rather than the pit, choose seat carefully, it was a very hot sunny evening we were there, and sun was shining into eyes of some folks, so try and work out orientation of stage! 15 minutes easy walk from Rowntree Park Site. 

Hope this helps. I think I posted some photos on Caravanchat, but a while ago now. If we go next year, think I would choose Henry V, or Hamlet. But expect a long evening, three hours plus with a break!

replied on 24/11/2018 17:58

Posted on 24/11/2018 17:58

Takethedogalong replied on 24/11/2018 19:13

Posted on 24/11/2018 19:13

I don’t think the tickets will dry up to be honest, perhaps for matinees, might be schools in. Hamlet will get the chop no doubt, depends how they do it. If it’s warm, groundling seats might be ok, if you take a backrest or shooting stick. Might give you chance to see two plays, one in expensive seats (cushion required), one down with the peasants at around £14. Most folks were sat down in there on our night. Cast members enter some scenes from groundling areas.

I’m not keen on The Tempest, saw Twelfth Night at Heligan, so other two more interesting to me. Looks like they are doing the four York plays of last year at Blenheim, new ones at York. I would say come to enjoy the theatre itself, the acting was decent, but not RSC. 

As a guide, the stage faced the river, it was located set back from Cliffords Tower, next door to York Castle Museum, so the setting sun caught out those to the right of the stage. Food and drinks expensive in village, but decent fare. There’s a lot to do for free in York, which makes up for the dear Club Site prices. smile

replied on 24/11/2018 19:40

Posted on 24/11/2018 19:13 by Takethedogalong

I don’t think the tickets will dry up to be honest, perhaps for matinees, might be schools in. Hamlet will get the chop no doubt, depends how they do it. If it’s warm, groundling seats might be ok, if you take a backrest or shooting stick. Might give you chance to see two plays, one in expensive seats (cushion required), one down with the peasants at around £14. Most folks were sat down in there on our night. Cast members enter some scenes from groundling areas.

I’m not keen on The Tempest, saw Twelfth Night at Heligan, so other two more interesting to me. Looks like they are doing the four York plays of last year at Blenheim, new ones at York. I would say come to enjoy the theatre itself, the acting was decent, but not RSC. 

As a guide, the stage faced the river, it was located set back from Cliffords Tower, next door to York Castle Museum, so the setting sun caught out those to the right of the stage. Food and drinks expensive in village, but decent fare. There’s a lot to do for free in York, which makes up for the dear Club Site prices. smile

Posted on 24/11/2018 19:40

Takethedogalong replied on 24/11/2018 20:28

Posted on 24/11/2018 20:28

In that case, take a look at having afternoon tea in one of the vintage carriages in the Railway Museum! Very nice. I am not a huge fan of Betty’s, too many tourists click clicking away, this was nicer.

I keep an eye on RSC at Stratford, but haven’t seen anything tempting for a good while. It’s a bit of a trek for us as well, too much M1. Last thing we saw there was Brand, with Ralph Fiennes, stunning performance as you’d expect. Not sure where you are based, but keep an eye out for Sheffield Theatres, Crucible and Lyceum, in the past we have seen some huge names here, Jacobi in Don Carlos, Branagh in Richard III, Joseph Fiennes in Edward II, Antony Sher in Enemy of the People, John Simms and John Nettles in Hamlet. Great theatres, very diverse programmes.

replied on 24/11/2018 20:46

Posted on 24/11/2018 20:28 by Takethedogalong

In that case, take a look at having afternoon tea in one of the vintage carriages in the Railway Museum! Very nice. I am not a huge fan of Betty’s, too many tourists click clicking away, this was nicer.

I keep an eye on RSC at Stratford, but haven’t seen anything tempting for a good while. It’s a bit of a trek for us as well, too much M1. Last thing we saw there was Brand, with Ralph Fiennes, stunning performance as you’d expect. Not sure where you are based, but keep an eye out for Sheffield Theatres, Crucible and Lyceum, in the past we have seen some huge names here, Jacobi in Don Carlos, Branagh in Richard III, Joseph Fiennes in Edward II, Antony Sher in Enemy of the People, John Simms and John Nettles in Hamlet. Great theatres, very diverse programmes.

Posted on 24/11/2018 20:46

Takethedogalong replied on 24/11/2018 20:51

Posted on 24/11/2018 20:51

I suspect Bristol is good for some decent performances! Very long way for you to anywhere now though. McKellen is doing his show at Sheffield, but sold out, missed that one. Couple of interesting ballets and The Mousetrap look tempting! laughing

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook