The A Word

moulesy replied on 06/05/2020 10:40

Posted on 06/05/2020 10:40

Did anyone else start watching the latest series of this brilliant BBC drama last night? It's one of those shows that really has got everything - beautiful Lake District scenery, superb acting (Christopher Eccleston is unbelievably good) and lots of humour, all set around the serious subject of the difficulties of living with autism. It certainly stands out from much of the dross on TV at the moment.

And, for anyone who hasn't seen the previous two series,  all the episodes are available on it iPlayer now. So you can watch it from the beginning.

Highly recommended!  smile

heddlo replied on 06/05/2020 11:27

Posted on 06/05/2020 11:27

Agreed Moulsey.  Brilliantly acted by all.  Although OH does still keep saying ‘that’s Honister Pass, that’s Friars Crag, think that’s Crummock water’.   Oh, just watch and enjoy 😀!

replied on 06/05/2020 11:55

Posted on 06/05/2020 11:55

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidKlyne replied on 06/05/2020 12:02

Posted on 06/05/2020 12:02

BBC Drama at its best. We have watched the two previous series. I tend to lose interest when series like this go on for series after series but I was glad I stuck with it. Max Vento as Joe is remarkable especially as he doesn't have autism himself so it's pure acting.

David

moulesy replied on 10/06/2020 10:54

Posted on 10/06/2020 10:54

Sadly, the series ended last night - it's been a real treat, one of those rare TV events which is a series impossible to dislike. Great performances,  strong story lines and making points, albeit dramatic about autism and Downs Syndrome. No idea if a 4th series is planned but we're going to miss it on Tuesday evenings from now on! 

DavidKlyne replied on 10/06/2020 15:15

Posted on 10/06/2020 15:15

I think some of those involved with the series are keen for it to go to a 4th series. I suppose COVID could put a bit of a spanner in the works because there would be a longer delay between series so Jo will be much older as will Max that plays him so it might hinge on whether he wants to continue in the role? I hope they do decide to make more. It might be an uncomfortable subject matter for some but it is very well done.

David

DavidKlyne replied on 11/06/2020 21:05

Posted on 11/06/2020 21:05

I have just read (in Margaret's TV magazine) that audiences for the A Word have not been particularly good, around 2.5 million viewers. That could put future series in doubt. It's a puzzle as to what people think of as a good drama, perhaps some are embarrassed by the subject matter being covered? They won't have been put off by the excellent acting and the beautiful scenery?

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook