The Name of the Rose

Takethedogalong replied on 19/10/2019 11:54

Posted on 19/10/2019 11:54

Anyone else trying to watch this adaptation? (BBC2) I caught up with first episode last night, and sort of struggled a bit. Very dark, very heavy on Church politics, some good casting. Might try and give it more attention second time around, it’s not something to knit through I have now realised.

I enjoyed the film version all those years ago.

PATMAU replied on 19/10/2019 15:32

Posted on 19/10/2019 15:32

Totally lost me .  I read the book, years ago,which was hard going, saw the film with Sean Connery (a basic who dunnit in the Abbey, which was enjoyable, but simplified the story).  I will persevere, but it does need to be watched without distractions.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/10/2019 17:43

Posted on 19/10/2019 17:43

No, the book was a tough read. I enjoyed the film, well cast and a lot simpler than this TV series appears to be. I think part of the issue is that the politics are just so convoluted and the character names not easy to remember! (And that’s from a GoT fan!😂😂😂)

Cornersteady replied on 19/10/2019 18:12

Posted on 19/10/2019 18:12

Agree the film with the James Bond look-a-like was very good to watch. Have the series on record and will watch sometime. The problem with the book was its translation into English, the original in Italian was a far easier read but who ever translated it made it far more difficult to read and therefore follow. 

I tried his next book, Foucault's Pendulum which was even worse and gave up on that.

nelliethehooker replied on 19/10/2019 20:56

Posted on 19/10/2019 20:56

Contrary to others I enjoyed the book immensely, and, having watch the 1st episode of the new adaptation, I think that I'll wait and watch the whole series in one go  & somewhere without any distractions.

Takethedogalong replied on 19/10/2019 23:07

Posted on 19/10/2019 23:07

Caught up with second episode tonight, after rewatching first (without added knitting!😁) Now enjoying it, apart from soundtrack, which seems very quiet, had to turn it up a good deal. Getting more interesting.....

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook