Yorkshire Walks with Shanaz Gulzar

brue replied on 12/02/2020 22:07

Posted on 12/02/2020 22:07

I've loved this series on BBC 4, tonight it was the Bolton Abbey Estate, we've walked much of the estate but didn't get to all the spots and this programme filled in a gap or two. Lovely filming and no background music, just the sounds of walking, talking and nature. 

LINK to the series

Cherokee2015 replied on 12/02/2020 23:20

Posted on 12/02/2020 23:20

Love the scenery and the walks but not keen in the presenter.    Very boring and monotonous.   We enjoyed the Runswick Bay walk last week as we had done the route a couple of years ago. 

SteveL replied on 13/02/2020 08:25

Posted on 13/02/2020 08:25

We also enjoyed the series. Several we had done ourselves in whole or part. Camera work and quality was very good. I didnt envy her holding up that camera pole, must make your arm ache. It was useful to follow the walks  we didn't know as well on the OS map.

JillwithaJay replied on 13/02/2020 11:18

Posted on 13/02/2020 11:18

Enjoyed last night's programme as much of it was familiar territory.  Tend to agree that Shanaz doesn't quite have the same bubbly personality as the likes of Julia Bradbury but her love of nature and her surroundings made up for it.

Metheven replied on 13/02/2020 14:36

Posted on 13/02/2020 14:36

Good programme, about the only presenter that actually walks the walk and describes what she sees and hears plus giving the viewer an accurate vision of the walk. Other walking programmes seem to include visits to here there and everywhere.

Was watching last week 'Walking Britains Lost Railways' on TV, and lucky if 10% of the programme actually showed the walk itself.

heddlo replied on 13/02/2020 15:07

Posted on 13/02/2020 15:07

We’ve enjoyed the series too.  They have all been enjoyable parts of Yorkshire.  Wish I could do the walks she does!  Great to see the walks though, it shows me what I miss by not being able to get far myself. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 13/02/2020 15:47

Posted on 13/02/2020 15:47

Shanaz Gulzar talks about the beauty & how she reacts with it whilst keeping the landscape as the star & not talking at the viewer. I’ve done that walk & more on the BA estate & it is quite awe inspiring. She speaks from her heart & soul not a script👍🏻

Wherenext replied on 13/02/2020 19:47

Posted on 13/02/2020 19:47

As we don't watch a great deal of TV this programme passed us by so a debt of gratitude to Brue for bringing it to our attention. Especially as it's a walk that we have done but we came up from the club site at Bolton Abbey, along the river and then a very steep short ascent. We then walked back down the Valley of Desolation to the abbey itself and to the site from there. A memorable walk and Mrs WN was taken to paint the view from Simons Seat looking across the valley. I might try to find it and take a photo of it to post.

We've done 2 of the other walks so I'll catch those up as well.

Many thanks Brue.

Unfortunately dogs are not allowed on the hill. Such a shame.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook