Food Stockpiling

brue replied on 10/12/2020 09:28

Posted on 10/12/2020 09:28

Does anyone know what this actually means if the Brexit talks go awry. This is not a political post but I'm wondering what information is out there regarding our food supplies. It wasn't easy getting hold of certain foods during the first lockdown, are we in for more of the same? I can manage without tinned tomatoes, is there going to be an unexpected run on baked beans?! 

LLM replied on 19/12/2020 10:12

Posted on 19/12/2020 09:24 by brue

I am tempted to write...make porridge not war....laughing

Posted on 19/12/2020 10:12

surprisedyell Is that stuff not something dreamt up by the Scots as a joke to inflict on the rest of the world.  Unholy gloop not fit to feed to the pigs that produce my breakfast bacon (IMHO).  laughinglaughinglaughing

replied on 19/12/2020 10:52

Posted on 19/12/2020 10:12 by LLM

surprisedyell Is that stuff not something dreamt up by the Scots as a joke to inflict on the rest of the world.  Unholy gloop not fit to feed to the pigs that produce my breakfast bacon (IMHO).  laughinglaughinglaughing

Posted on 19/12/2020 10:52

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DSB replied on 31/01/2021 19:32

Posted on 10/12/2020 10:34 by Metheven

We have the normal everyday goods in our cupboards and never got into hoarding anything, although I did get a few 'breakfasts in a tin' cans in when the local cafe closed. 

Our chest freezer is 100% full as usual (not my doing), and the stuff at the bottom has not seen light of day since being put in, and who knows when that was frown I sometimes wish for a shortage just to get down to the depths of the freezer smile

Posted on 31/01/2021 19:32

We usually 'keep one in' of most things, other than fresh stuff. E.g. We always buy the extra large packets of Weetabix...  As soon as we open a box, we put it on the shopping list.  So other than a few days, we always have one opened and on unopened box.  We do the same for lots of things, so as to avoid going shopping so frequently.  This is not new...  we've always done it and have  ever regarded it as stockpiling.

David

SteveL replied on 01/02/2021 10:08

Posted on 31/01/2021 19:32 by DSB

We usually 'keep one in' of most things, other than fresh stuff. E.g. We always buy the extra large packets of Weetabix...  As soon as we open a box, we put it on the shopping list.  So other than a few days, we always have one opened and on unopened box.  We do the same for lots of things, so as to avoid going shopping so frequently.  This is not new...  we've always done it and have  ever regarded it as stockpiling.

David

Posted on 01/02/2021 10:08

Is it stockpiling if you buy multiples of things on offer?  It what we do, particularly with cleaning products and things in tins.

Takethedogalong replied on 01/02/2021 11:06

Posted on 01/02/2021 11:06

That’s not not stockpiling, that’s enjoying a bargain Steve!

I don’t worry about food, but the veterinary drugs issue, trying to get what you need is a bit up and down. Has been for a while. Our pooch is on a common dog anti inflammatory drug, but stocks around country are low, no big bottles anywhere. I have just had to get his next 180ml bottle all in much smaller bottles, some only 10ml. A bit more expensive, but it’s a must have requirement. Combination of Brexit and pandemic on this one according to suppliers. 

redface replied on 16/02/2021 23:51

Posted on 16/02/2021 23:51

It always amuses me when my children (ages 45-50) throw food out on the grounds that the 'sell by date ' has arrived. They stare in amazement when I grab it, take it home and use it.

They have no conception of Smell it, Taste it and if its not bad then cook it and eat it! 

cyberyacht replied on 17/02/2021 12:07

Posted on 17/02/2021 12:07

I once recall a fridge flowchart to ascertain it's suitability for consumption. Ran something along the lines of:-

Has it got a fur coat, Is it moving, If you shoot it does it stop moving and other stuff in a similar vein.

ABM replied on 21/02/2021 12:16

Posted on 10/12/2020 10:22 by peedee

We shop once a week and of course we have a small stock of non perishible goods for everyday use when needed but doubled up, no, and I see no need.

Reports in the press only trigger panic buying and make availablity worse. I bet there are still folk using toilet rolls bought last March.

peedee

Posted on 21/02/2021 12:16

Down to my last two (2) unopened packs of nine (9) toilet rolls so might have to add 'em to this weeks shopping list -- dare not run short of them  !!

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook