Food Stockpiling

brue replied on 10/12/2020 09:28

Posted on 10/12/2020 09:28

Does anyone know what this actually means if the Brexit talks go awry. This is not a political post but I'm wondering what information is out there regarding our food supplies. It wasn't easy getting hold of certain foods during the first lockdown, are we in for more of the same? I can manage without tinned tomatoes, is there going to be an unexpected run on baked beans?! 

replied on 26/02/2021 14:49

Posted on 21/02/2021 12:16 by ABM

Down to my last two (2) unopened packs of nine (9) toilet rolls so might have to add 'em to this weeks shopping list -- dare not run short of them  !!

Posted on 26/02/2021 14:49

Brings a new definition to '3 sheets to the wind' ...undecided

Steve

DEBSC replied on 09/03/2021 10:48

Posted on 09/03/2021 10:48

Covid will change my shopping habits for the future. Now that I have found how easy Click n Collect is at the supermarket I won't be struggling around Tesco with a laden trolley or trying to bag it all up quickly at the til. Heavy items, tins, washing powder, cleaning products, frozen foods etc will be once a month by C n C with me just going in to pick up my veg, fruit and meat. I like to chose my own fresh produce. We are fortunate enough to have a pantry to stock tins and store cupboard produce. And I have found that milk lasts much longer than expected. So easy to sit with a cuppa and do my shopping stress free on the laptop. I also use this as my 'shopping list' adding items during the week before collection, as I remember them. Also it keeps others in a job, when so many of the tils are now self service. Will others change their shopping habits now? 

eribaMotters replied on 09/03/2021 20:07

Posted on 09/03/2021 20:07

How do you define what food stockpiling is?

I think the only thing I enjoy shopping for regularly is food. I also really enjoy cooking it and obviously eating it.

Since early retirement we shop every day. The 2 mile return walk into the village is nice and as an ex Waitrose employee my wife gets a "good" discount so prices are comparable if not lower than Aldi/Lidl etc.

When we see an offer, 25% / 30% off etc on something we use regularly we stock up. That could mean 4 gammon joints or 16 packs of coffee.

Is this stockpiling or just common sense?

Colin

DSB replied on 12/03/2021 00:01

Posted on 09/03/2021 10:48 by DEBSC

Covid will change my shopping habits for the future. Now that I have found how easy Click n Collect is at the supermarket I won't be struggling around Tesco with a laden trolley or trying to bag it all up quickly at the til. Heavy items, tins, washing powder, cleaning products, frozen foods etc will be once a month by C n C with me just going in to pick up my veg, fruit and meat. I like to chose my own fresh produce. We are fortunate enough to have a pantry to stock tins and store cupboard produce. And I have found that milk lasts much longer than expected. So easy to sit with a cuppa and do my shopping stress free on the laptop. I also use this as my 'shopping list' adding items during the week before collection, as I remember them. Also it keeps others in a job, when so many of the tils are now self service. Will others change their shopping habits now? 

Posted on 12/03/2021 00:01

I'm certain that Covid has changed our shopping habits.  For the first time ever, we have had food delivered from Asda.  We now do this roughly every 10 days, when we order all our 'keepable' stuff.  In between we tend to use the local Co-Op for day to day stuff with the very occasional visit to Aldi.

David 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook