In praise of British Cheese

Wherenext replied on 06/11/2016 14:09

Posted on 06/11/2016 14:09

Having just returned from the self styled capital of the cheese world, namely France, I would like to say how much we love British Cheese. Yes, we did enjoy many different types of French Cheese and count some of them among our own favourites but I don't think British Cheeses get the plaudits they deserve.

Nothing tastes quite like a really good Cheddar, our current one is Colliers (a Welsh one), or a Blackstick Blue or a Shropshire Blue or Mrs. Applebys Cheshire or a creamy Lancashire. Plus we are prepared to experiment with our cheese, by putting chilli or mustard etc. in. There are some smashing local entrepreneurs making cheese these days.

Why are our cheese not more respected?

brue replied on 18/08/2020 11:44

Posted on 18/08/2020 11:44

Low fat cheese for you David, that's quite an achievement! I've been eating more Feta and Mozarella recently, quite happy with these in Summer. smile

ABM replied on 18/08/2020 23:24

Posted on 18/08/2020 23:24

Hope it was from choice, David  --  if so plse tell this tub of lard how you did it  embarassed

brue replied on 19/08/2020 19:28

Posted on 19/08/2020 19:28

Yes, apologies, I hope you are well David, I should have asked that at the  time.

Today I tried some really tasty strong cheddar with a smooth finish. I didn't realise the maker, Barber's, are the oldest cheddar makers in the world, based in Ditcheat, Somerset (home of a well known racing stables too.)

They've got some good cheese recipes on their web site. smile

DSB replied on 26/08/2020 01:25

Posted on 26/08/2020 01:25

Yes Brue/ ABM.... the weight loss is from choice.  At my outpatients appointment last September, my consultant said that my blood sugar level had gone up- he used the term 'pre-diabetic' and said it wouldn't do me any harm to lose some weight.  I downloaded the 'LoseIt' app and started counting the calories.  On the whole, I've done quite well, although I've slipped just a little since we've been away on holiday.  Back to a more strict regime when I get back home on Thursday....  😀

David

brue replied on 26/08/2020 11:15

Posted on 26/08/2020 11:15

I think you've done brilliantly David so holiday treats are allowed! I'm debating whether to go into the Totnes cheese shop in a few minutes (there is a queue outside my favourite bakery!) 

ABM replied on 02/09/2020 12:28

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:28

Only just plucked up the courage to check on this thread embarassed.

As Brue said, David, you've done well mate so keep up the good work !! The medics have started using the term " Pre~~Diabetic " now and it gives a name to the warning so it's easier to accept. My niece is in that situation so I, as the lone 'certified Type-2'  in the family and of over thirty years membership (!!) , consider it is my right, nay DUTY, to growl threateningly if she shews any signs of back slipping !!

Now to the heart of the matter -->  Brue did you get into that Totnes  'cheesemongery' at all, as well as finding the back way into the favoured bakery ?? 

brue replied on 04/09/2020 14:57

Posted on 04/09/2020 14:57

Sadly, no I didn't ABM, I headed off for a ramble around the old alleyways of Totnes instead, partaking of the calming view of the ancient town wells en route... it was all a bit busy in the cheese area and the bakery queue seemed endless but I did get some pasties. wink

Wherenext replied on 03/05/2021 13:55

Posted on 03/05/2021 13:55

Bought some local cheese whilst away in Derbyshire last week and had some for lunch today. Fabulous.

From Hartington Creamery it's a soft Blue called Dovedale Blue. Lovely creamy texture and not too harsh on the blue side. great with crackers or crusty bread.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook