Wine!

DSB replied on 03/07/2017 22:56

Posted on 03/07/2017 22:56

I know there are several wine lovers on here, so I thought it might be a good idea to have a place to discuss and share each others favourite tipple.

A wine I have recently taken to is Barefoot Merlot.  A Californian wine, full bodied wine with a blueberry and plumb flavour.  Really worth a try.  We get it from the Co-op at a little less than £7 a bottle.

David 

Goldie146 replied on 17/03/2021 09:56

Posted on 16/03/2021 22:50 by DSB

Has anyone had any experience of Laithwaites, Naked Wines or similar?

David

Posted on 17/03/2021 09:56

I have used Naked Wines (prompted by an offer that came with something). The first case (6 or 12 - can't remember) was OK and becasue of the offer reasonably cheap. But after I declined subscribing I was inundated with more and more advertising emails. I found the marketing far too aggressive, so went back to buying what I wanted to buy, not what I was persuaded to buy.

LLM replied on 17/03/2021 10:13

Posted on 17/03/2021 10:13

I just stick to my favourites usually purchased from supermarkets.  My stocks of EU produced wines are now running low and as a tiny protest at the way some EU countries, notably France, are being so bloody minded about Brexit I have stopped purchasing their wines.  Not really a hardship as I usually prefer offerings from countries outside of the EU bloc anyway. 

SteveL replied on 17/03/2021 11:17

David

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:17

I usually get a couple of cases a year of things the supermarkets don’t sell, from the Sunday Times wine club, which I believe is Laithwaites. The wines have always been good and competitively priced. Although I generally only buy when they have an offer and delivery is free.  I bought a delux mixed case before Christmas, as well as 2 bottles of Champagne which had £20 off and free delivery. Of course the £20 off is a con and the delivery is charged for somewhere. However, the overall price of the wines was very reasonable and they were good. Still have the Champagne though, as of course celebrations were cancelled.

As mentioned marketing is fairly aggressive. However, I ignore the posted ones until something interests me and the land line just rejects their telephone attempts.

DSB replied on 17/03/2021 11:48

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:17 by SteveL

I usually get a couple of cases a year of things the supermarkets don’t sell, from the Sunday Times wine club, which I believe is Laithwaites. The wines have always been good and competitively priced. Although I generally only buy when they have an offer and delivery is free.  I bought a delux mixed case before Christmas, as well as 2 bottles of Champagne which had Β£20 off and free delivery. Of course the Β£20 off is a con and the delivery is charged for somewhere. However, the overall price of the wines was very reasonable and they were good. Still have the Champagne though, as of course celebrations were cancelled.

As mentioned marketing is fairly aggressive. However, I ignore the posted ones until something interests me and the land line just rejects their telephone attempts.

Posted on 17/03/2021 11:48

I've got some Aldi champagne - Monsigny..... (£12.99 a bottle)... and it's not bad, but won't be waiting for a particular celebration.... πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

David

brue replied on 17/03/2021 12:34

Posted on 17/03/2021 12:34

I bought the equivalent of a NV champagne from Chapel Down vineyards in Kent, it was excellent so I'm going to try more from them via Waitrose. Just bought their Rose as an anniversary treat. Waitrose have had 25% off six bottles of wine (over £5) haven't taken the offer up but it's a good one.

DSB replied on 17/03/2021 13:00

Posted on 17/03/2021 12:34 by brue

I bought the equivalent of a NV champagne from Chapel Down vineyards in Kent, it was excellent so I'm going to try more from them via Waitrose. Just bought their Rose as an anniversary treat. Waitrose have had 25% off six bottles of wine (over Β£5) haven't taken the offer up but it's a good one.

Posted on 17/03/2021 13:00

I've only been once to Chapel Down, and that was years ago Brue.  Wines were really good, but like many of the English wines, they tend to be on the expensive site.  Some years ago our eldest daughter bought me a years sponsorship of a vine at Three Choirs - they do some nice wines too.  We've also been to Wroxeter Roman Vineyard near Shrewsbury - another gift!  Wine tasting + tour, followed by a light meal....  πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ...  all good fun.

David

Wherenext replied on 18/03/2021 20:05

David

Posted on 18/03/2021 20:05

We used to have Laithwaites and Adnams in Suffolk but when I retired I did away with them both as I didn't want to continue with having to order so many in a year etc. Too much hassle but quite a while ago now.

The selection from Laithwaites was wider than Adnams and they did introduce me to some very decent wines. I preferred Adnams if ordering beer.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook