Current scams

redface replied on 28/07/2020 20:21

Posted on 28/07/2020 20:21

Received an email from a friend where he was apparently having difficulties with his E Bay account and he would appreciate me sending an E Bay voucher for £50 to his niece, giving her details, and he would reimburse me from his bank account.

So I said to him (he was sitting comfortably in a chair in my garden) - really?

Needless to say he didn't even have a niece and was surprised to learn that his contacts had been hacked.#

Upshot was that he then emailed all his contacts to advise them of the fraud.

Are there any other frauds circulating at present that we ought to be aware of?

replied on 18/01/2021 12:24

Posted on 18/01/2021 12:07 by JillwithaJay

We've heard of this one before as a way of 'testing' to see if it gets noticed prior to attempting to gain much larger sums.  Well done Halifax.

Posted on 18/01/2021 12:24

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

brue replied on 18/01/2021 13:56

Posted on 18/01/2021 13:56

They do it in to find out if you or your bank notice, if you don't check your account on a regular basis they can go for bigger sums. If you purchase a lot of small value items it can be hard to spot. Also a few thousand 50p sums taken from many accounts add up to quite a big amount!

SteveL replied on 18/01/2021 14:24

Posted on 18/01/2021 14:24

We’ve had a couple of texts lately, supposedly from the Halifax, although they haven’t come through on the normal text string. According to the text a new payee has been set up on our account and there is a link to log onto if you haven’t set it up. Presumably if you click on the link they then try and mine your login details. Checks of the account, not of course using their links, confirmed they were scams.

Takethedogalong replied on 06/02/2021 11:15

Posted on 06/02/2021 11:15

OH has just had a competition scam sent through. £20,000 in cash, or tickets to see an Elvis Tribute.

It said press 1 for the money, 2 for the show...........

Wherenext replied on 13/02/2021 15:19

Posted on 13/02/2021 15:19

Talking to an elderly neighbour the other day he mentioned a variation on a scam that had him worried. He's quite alert so when someone rang him he cottoned on pretty quick and put the phone down. 20 minutes later he received another call this time from his bank asking if he had a recent call that sounded strange. He said yes he had and they said that his account was one of a batch that they were worried might be being targeted by scammers. They told him they were trying to contact all of those customers to warn them but obviously they were behind the scammers. He said they wanted to make sure there had been no activity on his account and he almost, almost gave them his details, so convincing were they but fortunately common sense kicked in.

He felt so worried he actually went to the bank the following day to double check all was ok and stood outside for 90 minutes until they deemed to open for customers. 

Whatever happened to Tar and Feathering?

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 21/02/2021 23:44

Posted on 21/02/2021 23:44

Another scam from today. I pay when the BBC remind me & online not DD. It’s easy to tell this one as the BBC have me down as my chosen name not as my email. Keep vigilant👍🏻

GEandGJE replied on 10/03/2021 12:32

Posted on 10/03/2021 12:32

Playing along with scam callers can brighten up a dull day, my best yet was a call informing me that I qualified for a government grant to replace my dangerous roof (news to me), so I expressed alarm that my roof was dangerous and that I needed to go outside and inspect it and was able to report that the roof was still there. I managed to keep the dialogue going for about 10 minutes when I asked the caller if they also covered windows and Yes was the answer I replied that was good as i thought that I had a bug on my computer. That was when the phone was put down on me.   

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook