Environment v quality of life

LeTouriste replied on 24/08/2019 13:01

Posted on 24/08/2019 13:01

We are being advised to avoid eating red meat and dairy products, to eliminate cattle and reduce production of methane.  One MP suggests we should scrap all our cars.   The Amazon rain forest, which produces 20% of Earth's oxygen and soaks up CO2, is seriously under threat.  The oceans are being polluted at an alarming rate, and coral reefs are dying in vast numbers.  Household refuse is becoming difficult to manage, and recycling has a long way to go before it becomes really effective.  Oh dear, what a boring outlook for future generations.  It's great to be old!smile

ABM replied on 09/09/2019 17:24

Posted on 09/09/2019 17:24

Quite agree there, CY,  and I noticed somewhere over the W/end that they are STILL buying up property in the London area  when it had already been stated there was to  be some form of inquiry into the whole blooming thing !!

Could they be raising a whole herd of the things to top up the London Zoos ??

DavidKlyne replied on 09/09/2019 19:17

Posted on 09/09/2019 19:17

Just as well the Victorians didn't have such a blinkered view of providing railways. To my mind HS2 is essential for the future of UK railways. All this nonsense about it being only for the rich. HS2 will provide essential extra capacity for our railways which inturn will mean that existing lines can provided a better service to the millions of commuters across the country. If the country wants to save money better to get rid of to completely useless aircraft carriers! 

David

MikeyA replied on 09/09/2019 19:35

Posted on 09/09/2019 19:35

Has anybody ever said whether a LS2 ( Low speed) would be any cheaper. I cannot understand why saving 10 mins or so on a train journey is so important. What is most important is that trains keep to the scheduled times.

ABM replied on 09/09/2019 20:11

Posted on 09/09/2019 19:35 by MikeyA

Has anybody ever said whether a LS2 ( Low speed) would be any cheaper. I cannot understand why saving 10 mins or so on a train journey is so important. What is most important is that trains keep to the scheduled times.

Posted on 09/09/2019 20:11

Blimey, MikeyA, I'd like a jar or six of what you've had    innocent

Ask the poor souls trying to get across the north of England, not sure what the schedule says, but they fail the calendar test regularly !!

Nothing personal there, M, I've already admitted elsewhere I'm quite likely to display the occasional touch of acid on here 

redface replied on 09/09/2019 21:31

Posted on 09/09/2019 21:31

how many trees might she have saved by raising awareness?

A few more had she gone there and back, by air, by herself, being put on the plane and met at the other end.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/09/2019 22:16

Posted on 09/09/2019 19:35 by MikeyA

Posted on 09/09/2019 22:16

It's a bit more than 10 minutes. London to Birmingham something like 30 minutes and London to Manchester nearer an hour, as would Birmingham to Leeds from the figures I have looked at. At those time savings it makes it more economic for firms to be based out of London. As I said building HS2 will have a positive benefit on the rest of the network by freeing up capacity for more local journeys. Anyone who has travelled on HS1 to Paris or Brussels will know he benefit.

Freddy55 replied on 11/09/2019 22:33

Posted on 09/09/2019 21:31 by redface

how many trees might she have saved by raising awareness?

A few more had she gone there and back, by air, by herself, being put on the plane and met at the other end.

Posted on 11/09/2019 22:33

I think if she’d swam the Atlantic both ways, someone would have pointed a finger at the materials used in her swimsuit. I have nothing but admiration for her efforts...

MJG1959 replied on 12/09/2019 00:23

Posted on 11/09/2019 22:33 by Freddy55

I think if she’d swam the Atlantic both ways, someone would have pointed a finger at the materials used in her swimsuit. I have nothing but admiration for her efforts...

Posted on 12/09/2019 00:23

Just think though.

Video conferencing would have meant she neednt have travelled at all.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook