Safefill - Refillable Gas Cylinders

tadhatter replied on 18/06/2019 13:16

Posted on 18/06/2019 13:16

Last summer, as part of my ambition to do far more off-grid touring, I thought I'd invest* in Safefill. Perhaps my alarm belles should have been ringing when the place I went to go to purchase a canister was Brayford Leicsure and they only had one size available - the medium sized one - and lots of them! But nonetheless I coughed up my circa £160 for it and have them fill it up and carried on smug in the knowledge that I would soon be quids in in longer term savings.

However, for various personal reasons we haven't been able to get out in the caravan anything like as much as we had hoped since then - partly due to a job change and house move - we've only just got round to needing to re-fill it. I duly looked on Safefill's website to find stockists and discovered that there was only one in about a 10 mile radius. That would be ok if this garage would actaully allow me to refill it. Notices on their lpg pumps said that individual gas canisters were not be refilled here and before I even checked at the kiosk a forceful looking lady shouted at me saying that I couldn't fill that thing here!  However, after discussion she told me where, locally, I could get it sorted. I thanked her and went on to that location. Unfortunately she clearly mistook Safefill with standard Calor gas. I tried to call Safefill at this point only to hear that I couldn't leave a message as the mailbox was full! 

I proceeded to look for an alternative website to see where LPG was stocked and then proceeded to a couple of other locations, one which didn't actaully exist anynore and another also refused to let me fill my Safefill container. Having wasted 2 hours on a wild goose chase I decided to head home as I had work to do rather annoyed and frustrated.

So, can anyone else tell me if they'ved had simialr unhelpful experiences with Safefill or, more helpfully, let me know somewhere where I can get my cylinder refilled in the Beds/Herts/Bucks area.

Very much lool forward to hearing responses.

Cheers, 

Tim.

*for investment read expensive wasted of money!

DSB replied on 08/11/2020 22:01

Posted on 08/11/2020 22:01

Well, I've bitten the bullet and have just bought a couple of Safefill cylinders  - a medium and a small.  (Didn't bother with the large - our issue is to keep down the weight, so Safefill seemed the way to go now that Calor  lite bottles are going to get harder to source). Basically, the small is for the Cadac and the medium is 'for the caravan', but we have the option of swapping.  We are likely to need to fill the cylinders whe we are out in the caravan, so providing we keep them topped up, there shouldn't be a problem.

One of our camping shops... Jacksons of Old Arley have facility to fill the bottles.  I had the conversation with them as to whether they envisage to continue to supply LPG.  There answer was that they have spent quite a bit of money installing the system so there is no way the are going to stop supplying it.  That was good enough for me...

David

DSB replied on 07/12/2020 17:49

Posted on 07/12/2020 17:49

If anyone can advise on this, I'd be really grateful.....

Last month we swapped to Safefill.  I have now emptied my old cylinders, so now I need to fit the Safefill cylinders.  I have a centre gas locker with straps to go around the centre of the bottle and 'floor brackets' (pictured below)  Will the Safefill bottle fit onto the old ''floor bracket' or do I need something else? (Caravan is in storeage)

David

DaveCyn replied on 07/12/2020 19:17

Posted on 07/12/2020 19:17

Our Safefill just fits straight onto the existing floor bracket with no problem.

Can't see why yours would be any different.

DSB replied on 07/12/2020 20:38

Posted on 07/12/2020 19:17 by DaveCyn

Our Safefill just fits straight onto the existing floor bracket with no problem.

Posted on 07/12/2020 20:38

Thanks for that Dave.  I'll give it a go next time we go up.  Just thought it was worth asking if I needed a different bracket so I could get it delivered before going up to storeage.  Sounds like all will be well with the existing bracket ..  👍👍

David

DSB replied on 21/01/2021 18:31

Posted on 07/12/2020 19:17 by DaveCyn

Posted on 21/01/2021 18:31

Thanks for that Dave.  The safefill bottle does fit onto the existing bracket (pictured above).  It just fits in a different way.  The traditional cylinders fit into the bracket... the outside of the cylinder is kept secure by the inside of the bracket.  The safefill works in the opposite way - it fits over the bracket so that the inside of the base of the cylinder is in contact with the outside of the bracket - and it fits on a little rim.

It appears fine.  All as I now need is the opportunity to use it!!!

David  

harrib0 replied on 21/01/2021 19:46

Posted on 21/01/2021 19:46

Hi KeefySher, if you are ever in that area again, instead of using Morrisons at Cribbs I suggest trying Andy Gas which is 1 mile away from there.

Last time I looked "SAFEFILL - DOMESTIC USE" gas was 49p per litre.

Everytime I am over that way I fill both my bottles

Andy's Gas

(ring before arriving as not sure if they are open at the moment? Also no affiliation to them, just low cost gas)

DSB replied on 21/01/2021 23:07

Posted on 21/01/2021 19:46 by harrib0

Hi KeefySher, if you are ever in that area again, instead of using Morrisons at Cribbs I suggest trying Andy Gas which is 1 mile away from there.

Last time I looked "SAFEFILL - DOMESTIC USE" gas was 49p per litre.

Everytime I am over that way I fill both my bottles

Andy's Gas

(ring before arriving as not sure if they are open at the moment? Also no affiliation to them, just low cost gas)

Posted on 21/01/2021 23:07

I'll bear that one in mind if I'm Bristol way....

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook