South Africa

moulesy replied on 17/02/2020 13:08

Posted on 17/02/2020 13:08

It was obviously coincidence that we'd booked our holiday to avoid the worst of Storm Dennis (and I hope to goodness that everyone has stayed safe and secure - the little news we've heard over here has seemed pretty grim) and even more of a coincidence, according to Mrs M that we arrived on Valentine's Day, but here we are anyway. 

We arrived at Pretoria (or Tshwane as it's now been given its African name) after a long but comfortable flight and taken on a quick tour of the city, including, of course, stopping off at one of the many statues of the country's great man, and then off to our hotel for an overnight stay before setting off for the Kruger National Park the following morning.

En route we stopped at what is now a rather tacky tourist attraction - a village called Pilgrim's Rest which was established during the country's first gold rush in the 19th century. The bar at the hotel started life as a church in next door Mozambique before being brought and rebuilt in the village. Some enterprising local youths dress up as scarecrows and dance for a few coins from visitors (all rather sad in some ways.)

Then off up to the mountain top to a spot called God's Windows for some amazing views of the veldt, some 1000 metres below - an awesome site.

And finally on to the park itself,  hoping for a good night's sleep until we found put we had to be up at 5am for the first of two day's game drives!

Tinwheeler replied on 23/02/2020 19:00

Posted on 23/02/2020 19:00

Beautiful views, M, and great weather. At least you won’t be using more than your fair share of lekky in those temperatures😯. 

Hope you get up that mountain tomorrow.

moulesy replied on 24/02/2020 18:55

Posted on 24/02/2020 18:55

We had a trip into history today - a tour of Robben Island where Nelson Mandela spent18 years imprisoned. The tours are conducted by former prisoners who speak eloquently of their struggle against the apartheid system, imprisonment and the barbaric conditions they had to endure.  There is still clearly a lot of anger in them. It is almost impossible to imagine how it must have been, confined to a cell barely 8ft by 8ft for all but 30 minutes a day. The punishments sounded horrific - some were set to work in this limestone quarry under the scorching sun for 6 hours a day, other had dogs set upon them overnight. There is little indication of Mandela's cell, other than a folded blanket in one corner and a table and tin cup against one wall.

The country has come so far over the past 30 years or so, but there is still much to be achieved - outside nearly every town we've visited there have been "informal settlements" with hundreds upon hundreds of corrugated iron shacks, such poor conditions compared to the wealth in the cities.

moulesy replied on 24/02/2020 19:04

Posted on 24/02/2020 19:04

On a happier note, we spent our last afternoon and evening down on the Victoria and Alfred waterfront which is always  lively and bustling. Despite all,  the stories of crime and violence in the city we have felt totally safe and unthreatened during our stay. 

Tomorrow morning we are determined to get up Table Mountain if it's the last thing we do (not literally - there was a 20 hour search and rescue operation for 3 tourists who'd tried to climb up on Saturday when it was shrouded in cloud! )

moulesy replied on 25/02/2020 06:24

Posted on 25/02/2020 06:24

Great excitement amongst 50% of the moulesy group this morning when we realised we were sharing the hotel with the Australian cricket team. I was "advised" (by Mrs M, obviously) not to try to sit with them at breakfast - "they don't want a little fat English bloke on their table". How rude - I'm not that little! laughing

Takethedogalong replied on 25/02/2020 09:38

Posted on 25/02/2020 09:38

Sounds like a truly marvellous trip M. SA as you say still has huge problems, but the sheer beauty of the landscape, and the wildlife are breathtaking. Thanks for sharing, been very interesting. Leave those Aussies alone though. And you might need wellies or snow boots when you get back to Blighty😱

I am looking at West Coast of America and Canada. OH might just get the shock of his life when he asks me where would I like to go for my next big birthday........🤣

Cornersteady replied on 25/02/2020 10:12

Posted on 25/02/2020 06:24 by moulesy

Great excitement amongst 50% of the moulesy group this morning when we realised we were sharing the hotel with the Australian cricket team. I was "advised" (by Mrs M, obviously) not to try to sit with them at breakfast - "they don't want a little fat English bloke on their table". How rude - I'm not that little! laughing

Posted on 25/02/2020 10:12

is that going to be the highlight of your trip?smile

Well if not, the icing on the cake

Takethedogalong replied on 25/02/2020 11:09

Posted on 25/02/2020 11:09

It reminds me of who I once shared a hotel with...............Yasser Arafat and the PLO. Other than security gunboats off the beach we’ed Never have known. The Palestinians were less hassle than the Greeks!

moulesy replied on 25/02/2020 12:08

Posted on 25/02/2020 10:12 by Cornersteady

is that going to be the highlight of your trip?smile

Well if not, the icing on the cake

Posted on 25/02/2020 12:08

Not the absolute highlight, but one has to take one's chances when they come - one of these is a world class Australian international cricketer and the other is a "little fat English bloke! "

moulesy replied on 25/02/2020 12:18

Posted on 25/02/2020 12:18

It is the last morning and we did actually make it up Table Mountain in the cable car. And how it was worth it - crystal clear skies, hot, hot, hot and those views! smile

We're now at Cape Town airport waiting for our flight back to Johannesburg and then back to Heathrow. It's been an unforgettable two weeks, and although we have missed the weather back home (no, really! wink) we've got our very own "storm Ralph" to look forward to at the weekend when Lady's new companion finally arrives! smile

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook