What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

DavidKlyne replied on 14/01/2020 00:09

Posted on 13/01/2020 21:47 by KjellNN

Our Homebase was never converted, just closed down, which was a shame as it was good and very handy.  Now we have to go about 4 miles to either B&Q, Screwfix or  Toolstation.

Mainly we use Toolstation as, it is usually less expensive, but B&Q certainly has a better range.

Posted on 14/01/2020 00:09

Apparently Wesfarmers originally wanted to buy B&Q but its a much larger company with branches in Europe, although not branded as B&Q over there, so that was a buy too far. Just as well as they would have ruined that as well!!!

David

DSB replied on 14/01/2020 00:33

Posted on 13/01/2020 22:38 by Freddy55

Set up a DD, it saves having to remember 👍

Posted on 14/01/2020 00:33

I set myself a recurring yearly reminder on Google Calendar - it comes up on my phone and laptop about a week before.  I do the same for MOT and Insurance, but usually a month before it's due to give me time to search for the cheapest deal and to book the car in.

David

richardandros replied on 14/01/2020 06:25

Posted on 14/01/2020 06:25

Absolutely agree.  I have everything - from TV Licence through to insurances set up on monthly DD so I never have to worry.  Plus you get an annual reminder of renewal, so if you want to switch provider, there is nothing to stop you. The only thing that isn't covered is the car MOT and, like David, I have set up a reminder on my iPhone/Mac calendar.

heddlo replied on 14/01/2020 08:15

Posted on 13/01/2020 22:29 by KjellNN

Unexpected drama this afternoon,  and all, according to OH, my fault!

Totally forgot to renew the VED on the Touareg, due 1st January, OH found the reminder when sorting through all the accumulated paperwork we had lying around.

In my defence, the service and MOT time is beginning of September, VED is beginning of January, and insurance is beginning of March......such are the results of buying a pre registered vehicle......and far too complicated for me to remember!

Now paid, hopefully will not get a fine.  First time ever, in 50 years of car ownership, that I have transgressed.

Posted on 14/01/2020 08:15

We did the same last year KjellNN.  OH found the ‘reminder’? in the pile of stuff on the desk.  Ours should have been paid 1st December and it was nearly Christmas before we received the DVLA final reminder!!  Like you it was the first time ever that it had been forgotten.  Blame it on a Senior moment!🤔. As others we now have reminders on our iCloud calendar. 

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 14/01/2020 09:07

Posted on 14/01/2020 09:07

Or a reminder from the .Gov site.

brue replied on 14/01/2020 09:45

Posted on 14/01/2020 06:25 by richardandros

Absolutely agree.  I have everything - from TV Licence through to insurances set up on monthly DD so I never have to worry.  Plus you get an annual reminder of renewal, so if you want to switch provider, there is nothing to stop you. The only thing that isn't covered is the car MOT and, like David, I have set up a reminder on my iPhone/Mac calendar.

Posted on 14/01/2020 09:45

We've just done a monthly vehicle tax DD with our motorhome, it doesn't make a huge difference moneywise, I think we pay around £8 extra pa. I know some would object to paying more but there's an upside as well. smile

OH relies on his Google calendar I still use a diary.

DK our local Homebase became a Range store last year.

JVB66 replied on 14/01/2020 09:59

Posted on 14/01/2020 00:33 by DSB

I set myself a recurring yearly reminder on Google Calendar - it comes up on my phone and laptop about a week before.  I do the same for MOT and Insurance, but usually a month before it's due to give me time to search for the cheapest deal and to book the car in.

David

Posted on 14/01/2020 09:59

As our car is due service at same time as ved and mot due I get a text from our dealer adviseing to get it all donecool

Insurance are always "adviseing" when any are duesurprised

brue replied on 14/01/2020 12:12

Posted on 14/01/2020 12:12

Very strong winds and heavy rain here, second day, hoping for a break tomorrow. Trying to sort out some paper work that has gathered over the last couple of years, must stop reading things as progress is slow! Stay warm and safe if your local weather is like ours! 🖼

DavidKlyne replied on 14/01/2020 12:44

Posted on 14/01/2020 12:44

I signed up for DD's for VED on both car and motorhome as soon as it was possible to do so. In fact I try to do most things by DD or Standing Order so I am not in a position to forget them. Thinking about it I can't recall anything that I pay by post or over the counter these days. One exception is the car insurance as its quite a bit cheaper to pay in one go, I then spend the rest of the year wondering if I have paid itsurprised

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook