What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

JVB66 replied on 14/05/2021 17:16

Posted on 13/05/2021 17:22 by DEBSC

Just reading the posts on grandchildren and caravanning. We have 6, five of them from 15 to 20 and an 8 year old. They have very frequently caravaned with us in the past and often talk of their happy memories. They now love going to the static van, they can't wait to go, admittedly more so when the WIFI is working! We love having their company. However, we are now getting to the next stage, " do you think we could borrow the caravan to stop there with some friends Nan?" I have managed to sidestep this question so far.

Posted on 14/05/2021 17:16

Our grand children came with us when younger. but not now ,just when we need them to help with water and waste, which in the past they used to "enjoy? "doing in exchange for the treat of staying with us, or was that not the right incentivecool

ABM replied on 14/05/2021 17:19

Posted on 14/05/2021 09:04 by DSB

My guess is that they have possibly updated the CalMac ferries these days.  The Uig-Tarbert was certainly like a much smaller version of the Dover-Calais ferries when we went.  If I remember, I'll ask them if different routes have different types of ferry.  Ruth will know as she has to 'Island Hop' as part of her job.... she provides training for NHS Doctors/ Nurses throughout the Western Isles.... mind you after saying that, she was in Manchester this week... πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜ƒ

Unlike the Dover-Calais ferries, at least you can keep the dog with you on CalMac as there are dog areas on deck. πŸ‘πŸ‘

David

Posted on 14/05/2021 17:19

Yes indeed, David  --  do you remember how worried folks were with such  "Key Workers " having to travel across borders, large mileages etc,  not being sure of the reception they might get.  Seem to recall some were suggesting that they should get letters etc from the Constabulary to ease the passage.  Green as grass some, and it's only just over a 12 month !!  No names but  undecidedembarassed

KjellNN replied on 14/05/2021 19:27

Posted on 13/05/2021 10:16 by Takethedogalong

It’s a long time ago, but we did the CalMac trip to Mull and Iona as well. Memorable, and not just for the fact the crossing didn’t affect me. We took our dogs with us, they were allowed up on the deck, and we spent a good deal of the journey out to Mull conversing with a French lady doing the same. She was interested in dogs as she had a Fox Terrier back home and was missing him. We did a breakneck drive across Mull to get foot ferry to Iona, spent a good few hours on there, fabulous beaches, very interesting Abbey, and then even had tenough time to drive round a good bit of Mull, before getting last CalMac back to Oban. We like Oban, lots of interesting places around for us, Castles, Churches, and North Ledaig Site is lovely (nicer than Bunree we thought).

Another nice Scottish trip a bit off the now all too heavily done tourist routes is to get the Cal Mac from Gourock to Dunoon, drive across the peninsular and then do the little ferry from Portavardie to Tarbert on Kintyre. We stayed with family at Carradale Site, in the log cabins, right on the beach. Lots of stunningly beautiful bays (McRahanish), good walks, interesting small castles, and you can get transport to Ireland from Campbeltown. We drove back all the way round rather than do the ferries again, so much to see, and the Autumn colours were stunning. Arran is another route out there....

ABM’s post has reminded me......you do need to be able to reverse to get on and off some of the CalMac ferriesπŸ˜‚

Posted on 14/05/2021 19:27

The CalMac ferry to Dunoon is now no more, but you can still go from the other side of Gourock to Hunter's Quay outside Dunoon using Western Ferries.

KjellNN replied on 14/05/2021 19:50

Posted on 14/05/2021 19:50

For a couple of years I used to take the Western Ferries route every day to go to work at Ardyne Point where several of the North Sea platforms were built.  We lived on the hill directly above the ferry terminal on the west side of Gourock, fantastic views from up there.

brue replied on 14/05/2021 19:53

Posted on 14/05/2021 16:57 by moulesy

Is that the canal side at Wolverley, brue? Lovely spot. smile

Last night we booked a farm cottage near Ashford in the Water, which we walked past last week, ready for, hopefully,  next year's Setter Rescue walk, assuming it takes place! The owner wasn't at all surprised and said they were way ahead with bookings for next year already. surprised

After our (just less than a) week at home we're now ensconced back down in Cornwall. smile

Just about to listen to what our great leader has to say before phoning down for a takeaway curry - it's a hard life but someone undoubtedly has to do it, so it might as well be us! wink

Posted on 14/05/2021 19:53

Yes, it was Wolverley, I was a student in Worcs and enjoy going back there. The barge in the photo is an old one similar to the ones which used to be in OH's family. We had a long chat with the owner who was selling fuel to the barges and boats covering a big area of local canals familiar to OH.

Happy travels Part two, we have had a drama since arrival in Cumbria with the control panel, no 12v, contemplating life without a shower for two weeks!! 😑 Called engineer who has been inundated with similar calls. OH has just taken everything apart and we have lift off..I had just planned how to wash my hair with a bucket and jug....

Hope you are doing better than us Moulesy! 😊

milliehull replied on 14/05/2021 20:22

Posted on 14/05/2021 20:22

brue, it can only get better from now 🀞. I am glad you got your 12v problem sorted and can now have a shower. I had to smile about the forgotten chargers. We had the opposite problem some years ago when in France. We had a frantic phone call from our daughter to ask if we had her phone charger ...... oh dear yes we had mistakenly packed it as a spare. We had to post it home pronto so we went off to the post office. You wouldnt believe the form filling and form stamping we had to go through! I hope the rest of your trip goes well

Moulesey how lovely to be back in Cornwall. Good idea to book your cottage for next year. We must get our act together before too long and make plans for next year.

It has been a grey, damp and chilly day here but we had a pleasant (if slightly expensive 😁) trip to our local garden centre as I decided as the frosts seem to be over 🀞 it was time to sort out my pots and hanging basket. I do the pots and OH does the heavy work! I hope the weather plays ball so I can get them planted up over weekend but having seen the forecast I am not terribly optimistic.

KjellNN replied on 14/05/2021 20:23

Posted on 14/05/2021 20:23

DD had a call on Wednesday from her OH's tenant with the bad news that there were several problems at the flat.....broken washing machine....dodgy fridge freezer......broken electric shower switch.......non filling toilet cistern.   He is a considerate fellow and had not wanted to bother them in a pandemic, so had been saving up the problems but really needed a washing machine.

So I was dispatched yesterday to see what was needed, and 2   new appliances were ordered from  John Lewis for delivery late afternoon today.  And parts to repair the other, minor, problems.

Unfortunately the JL delivery van broke down so they were not sure they would be able to deliver today.  I went down this afternoon to disconnect the appliances and we got them out onto the landing to be removed for recycling, then I came home.

Turned out later that they managed to deliver them around 7pm, so I am off back there tomorrow to install the WM, and hopefully fix the other items.  That's a couple of hundred saved by SIL on a plumber, an electrician and the WM installation!

Wherenext replied on 14/05/2021 20:36

Posted on 14/05/2021 20:36

A day of 3 halves.laughing

First half was a wash out as rain stopped play so we went to Waitrose in Menai for some vittels for the weekend, came home and had lunch. Second half was a trip to the west coast and South Stacks above Holyhead to look at the seabird colonies. As you can see from the photos there was a significant improvement in the weather. The seabirds including Puffins and some Choughs were as usual a delight for us.

Mrs WN in photo striking a typical pose of looking down on me.smile Taken from the Lookout if anyone knows the area. Had a good long walk as well as birdwatching. There are some interesting Circular remains of huts and living accommodation up there going back a few thousand years. Third half was home for dinner and more rain.

Well your trips have not been boring so far this year Brue but I bet you are looking forward to a boring one. Good luck.

Tammygirl replied on 14/05/2021 21:19

Posted on 14/05/2021 21:19

Well yesterday was an  interesting drive, lovely weather so views on the drive were stunning but parts of the drive were on single track roads which were busy so lots of stopping, pulling over into the bays.

We are on the C&CC site at Poolewe, smashing views over the sea loch. Site full yesterday but a few empty pitches today.

Weather dry with sunny spells but definitely not as warm as it should be. We did however manage to sit out for awhile this morning after we had done some washing and  this afternoon when we returned from a cycle ride.

Last evening was lovely with a wonderful sunset, I'd forgotten how great the sunsets are over on the west coast.

Tomorrow looks to be a another dry day so think we will go across to Gairloch and explore around there.

Shopping up here is a bit different, only one shop and quite often not much choice if the delivery man is due. Bread was £1.79 and 4 pints of milk £1.75. When you are used to Aldi and Lidl prices it comes as a shock. 😁

Sunday we move on to Clachtoll, that should be another fun drive, especially the last 5 miles or so, maybe we should have brought the MH instead of the caravanπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Have a good weekend folks.

nelliethehooker replied on 14/05/2021 22:08

Posted on 14/05/2021 22:08

The rain stopped overnight and it has been dry for most of the day, although we did have to get the brollies out for a short while. Change of plan as we decided to head across time Laugharne, where Dylan Thomas spent time. It is also the location for the filming of the TV series Keeping Faith.
We walked the Dylan Birthday walk before lunch, and got chatting to a couple who were doing the Welsh Coastal Path in stages, using 2 cars and walking about 10 mls a day from one to the other. Definitely a long term project, as it is 870 mls in total!!surprised
In the afternoon we walked the other way, past the "garage" DT did his writing, and then the cottage he rented while staying in the town. Unfortunately the castle was closed, so had to give that a miss this time.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook