What are you all up to

Oneputt replied on 13/12/2016 07:57

Posted on 13/12/2016 07:57

Got back from Fisher Field yesterday after a great weekend away.  Downside is van is filthy bit that will have to wait, more important jollities to enjoytongue-out House more or less decorated although not bothering with outside

Wherenext replied on 29/11/2021 14:04

Posted on 29/11/2021 14:04

Our defibrillator is on the wall at the Village Hall. A 2 minute run around the corner for me and probably 3 minutes back. Might need the thing as well after that.

A trip to the tip this morning to get rid of 10 bags worth of leaves. Would have had more except for the weather closing in. Something to be done in the next day or two.

Sorting out some photos that have been sent to me by my cousin of my mother and fathers wedding day. My nephew is getting married next year and the parents of the two betrothed are planning to embarrass the poor youngsters with photos and ancestral charts of their forebears. So I was commissioned to try and track down old photos if possible. Must admit to being surprised at how handsome a young man my Grandfather was as I only ever saw the same photos many years later when a hard working life had taken its toll. He died before I was born unfortunately. There's a striking resemblance to my younger brother in him The elderly female relatives all look like they are held together with that wonderful innovation, the Corset. laughing

richardandros replied on 29/11/2021 15:08

Posted on 29/11/2021 15:08

"I am still “nellie the elephant” rather than Bee Gees “Staying Alive” (I hope that makes sense to a good few👍)"

I have a very strong suspicion that you went on a St John Ambulance course, then! After retiring from the Police, I was regional CEO for SJA for 15 years and was very active together with the British Heart Foundation in getting defibs into the community and introducing free first aid training into schools.  The biggest problem is time - you've effectively got 8 minutes to deliver the first shock after a heart attack for any hope of success since the likelihood of surviving diminishes by 10% for every minute that passes. Being realistic, there still aren't enough about to make this achievable in many cases. We need one on every street corner!

Another David - you should have no fears about not knowing how to use one.  An automated defib, talks to you and tells you exactly what to do and there is absolutely No danger of delivering a shock to someone who doesn't need it (everyone's biggest fear), because it simply won't let you.  Even if you press the shock button, it won't deliver a shock if it detects a normal heart rhythm.

Takethedogalong replied on 29/11/2021 15:57

Posted on 29/11/2021 15:57

It’s been a while since I did a first aid course R&R. Not St John’s, we had a very good working relationship with what used to be South Yorkshire Ambulance Service. They had a really good (and lucrative) training section who did courses regular for most of Council needs. Our Lifeguards and other staff had to have a valid FACertificate, so we got to know training staff very well. 😁 I can remember the words to Nellie, much better than Staying Alive! Thankfully, I have never had to do much First Aid for real, but many of our staff did.

brue replied on 29/11/2021 16:05

Posted on 29/11/2021 16:05

Here's a BHF video LINK that might be helpful. It states don't go looking for a defibrillator if this stops you doing CPR. 

brue replied on 29/11/2021 16:07

Posted on 29/11/2021 16:07

I was outside our PO today, where our village defib is located. I happened to have a look at it and it looks fairly simple to access if you keep calm and read the instructions.

Whittakerr replied on 29/11/2021 16:18

Posted on 29/11/2021 16:18

"I am still “nellie the elephant” rather than Bee Gees “Staying Alive” (I hope that makes sense to a good few👍)"

I heard the original song chosen for its rhythm for CPR was a Queen track 'Another one bites the dust' but the lyrics were a bit off putting.surprised

brue replied on 29/11/2021 16:45

Posted on 29/11/2021 14:04 by Wherenext

Our defibrillator is on the wall at the Village Hall. A 2 minute run around the corner for me and probably 3 minutes back. Might need the thing as well after that.

A trip to the tip this morning to get rid of 10 bags worth of leaves. Would have had more except for the weather closing in. Something to be done in the next day or two.

Sorting out some photos that have been sent to me by my cousin of my mother and fathers wedding day. My nephew is getting married next year and the parents of the two betrothed are planning to embarrass the poor youngsters with photos and ancestral charts of their forebears. So I was commissioned to try and track down old photos if possible. Must admit to being surprised at how handsome a young man my Grandfather was as I only ever saw the same photos many years later when a hard working life had taken its toll. He died before I was born unfortunately. There's a striking resemblance to my younger brother in him The elderly female relatives all look like they are held together with that wonderful innovation, the Corset. laughing

Posted on 29/11/2021 16:45

My grandparents etc seem to look younger than they used to when I first saw their photos! 

Panic statios here. We realised the "street" Christmas lights turn on event was sooner than we thought, the Brues have had to get their act together, (it's usually me) but OH helped with the icicles along the guttering and we've had to put off replacing the gutterng till the New Year..not a problem as we've had the "new" guttering for two years already so it can lie around for a bit longer....wink

Takethedogalong replied on 29/11/2021 17:28

Posted on 29/11/2021 16:18 by Whittakerr

I heard the original song chosen for its rhythm for CPR was a Queen track 'Another one bites the dust' but the lyrics were a bit off putting.surprised

Posted on 29/11/2021 17:28

Gloria Gaynor is good......I Will Survive

Basically anything that goes de dum, de dum, de dum at around 120 beats per minute. What does surprise folks is how hard you have to push to be effective. And you have to keep going for a long time. 

Let’s hope none of us ever get the chance to try it.

JVB66 replied on 29/11/2021 18:37

Posted on 29/11/2021 18:37

With the ambulance service being overstretched at this time ,with so many having to wait at hospital A&Es as they do not have spaces either 

A defribrilator is almost getting to be part of the household First aid kit,surprised