Woodburners.

Fisherman replied on 22/02/2020 16:34

Posted on 22/02/2020 16:34

Another excellent, stupid headline.NO proper burner would think of using wood that is not say 1) Hardwood 2) matured for 2/3 years, 3) stored dry. Why? because its that that produces heat. Now I can understand that a few "celebrities" have gone for wood burners in Urban areas and the rest have followed, but can you imagine these type having the patience to mature their wood. No chance it has to be instantaneous. Then the wet behind the ears politicians come up with a blanket ban., Just  plain stupid. That s the tip of the iceberg. What about the Bio Mass generators, using cut today softwoods and burnt tomorrow with no drying whatsoever. And here we are talking of 10s of thousand of acres per week being cut. The mess the harvesters make are releases all the carbon stored in the ground. Again wet behind the ears politicians thought bio mass was the environmental" answer. You could not make it up. Then factor in the so called pollutants from say the Australian bush fires and there is no hope for mankind. Never mind back to stoking my fire with another few  DRY logs.

Navigateur replied on 23/02/2020 18:07

Posted on 23/02/2020 18:07

Great opportunity here to get the unthinking public really confused about wet and green.   Green wood that's dry as opposed to dry wood that's wet!  And to be green, one can't use green wood either!

Fisherman replied on 24/02/2020 08:22

Posted on 24/02/2020 08:22

Comments here just confirms the stupid idea put forward. Who can understand it, Who can realistically tell If wood is dry, damp or wet. Who will police it. A great administration fiasco. In reality how many so called woodburners are there particularly in Urban areas.

Goldie146 replied on 24/02/2020 09:23

Posted on 24/02/2020 09:23

Decision time.

Do I light the woodburner, or put another jumper on? On top of the two I'm wearing.

Which is better for the environment, and which is  better for me?

Burning wood wins.

JVB66 replied on 24/02/2020 09:35

Posted on 24/02/2020 09:35

It is very "strange?"that the anouncement about restricting  what can be used in wood burners and domestic coal fires, comes as the UK is this year ,  hosting the world environmental conference?surprised

Could it be, as with the "Blue Sky Thinking"about banning some ICE vehicles being banned, all a bit of "chest thumping"by our out of touch with reality government undecided

Tinwheeler replied on 24/02/2020 15:32

Posted on 24/02/2020 09:23 by Goldie146

Decision time.

Do I light the woodburner, or put another jumper on? On top of the two I'm wearing.

Burning wood wins.

Posted on 24/02/2020 15:32

No issue with that Goldie, unless it’s wet wood, it’s a no brainer.

ABM replied on 24/02/2020 15:59

Posted on 24/02/2020 09:23 by Goldie146

Decision time.

Burning wood wins.

Posted on 24/02/2020 15:59

Goldie,  You could just ask, beg, plead, or implore TammyGirl to Knit a Double Thickness cricket sweater on that wonderful machine of hers. It won't help you today but who knows ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, ,, ,,

JohnM20 replied on 24/02/2020 16:34

Posted on 24/02/2020 16:34

Just on the subject of wood-burning stoves:

We have a neighbour who just begs fuel for her wood-burner from anyone she sees that might have something she can burn. I don't think she has ever bought any 'proper' fuel for it. Old fence panels (coated in creosote or God knows what) used to be her favourite because she could break them up fairly easily. We cut a tree down in our front garden and she was there like a fly to **** asking to have it and she often returns home with something that will burn.

The lady in question and her daughter are hoarders, not much gets thrown away and nothing ever gets done to the house or garden either. There was ivy growing not just up the side of the house but right up onto the TV aerial on the chimney. This was all charred from the rising heat.

She has  supposedly been banned from using the wood-burner by the fire service. She had an electrical fault in the  house which caused a fire. The fire service found 'junk' piled up everywhere including extremely close to the stove which was likely to cause another fire. Whether she will obey the ban is another matter.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook