1966 World Cup Final

DavidKlyne replied on 08/06/2020 10:07

Posted on 08/06/2020 10:07

Did any of you watch the retrospective on the 1966 World Cup on Channel Four on Sunday? They concentrated on the black and white footage interspersed with colour film at goal scoring moments. I am no football expert but it seemed a hard fought game. There is a film called Goal which is in colour which gives a real sense of the excitement of the day. A little bit of nostalgia in these dark days.

David 

Takethedogalong replied on 08/06/2020 10:21

Posted on 08/06/2020 10:21

It was a good afternoons entertainment, well put together, and trying to raise funds for a C19 charity. We were too young to recall 1966, so it was good to watch the whole match and appreciate it. What a team they were, so skilful. And so fit looking.

The colour footage was special FIFA film, not sure it all exists now, hence the switch from black and white to colour. It would have been lovely to have seen a lot more of the build up, the crowds, etc.... but a very good programme. And they won😁 Again😁

JillwithaJay replied on 08/06/2020 10:24

Posted on 08/06/2020 10:24

I'm no football fan either.  Maybe having one fanatic in the house as a child put the rest of us off.  My dad was a very keen supporter of his local team all his life.

I meant to watch it but got sidetracked and missed it.  I do remember the day of the match, watching it on television and the famous "They think it's all over …" comment.  I do have a gold charm of the  Jules Rime trophy on my bracelet inherited from my mum. 

DavidKlyne replied on 08/06/2020 12:24

Posted on 08/06/2020 12:24

I had always thought that Bobby Moore was so pivotal to us winning that game but the programme highlighted how industrious little Alan Ball was to the game. But they all worked had, something that seems to be lacking in modern football? Good to see the interviews, particularly Terry Paine who was a Southampton legend.

David

moulesy replied on 08/06/2020 12:30

Posted on 08/06/2020 12:30

I missed it - will have to try to watch it on All4.

I have distinct memories of that day - we were on a family holiday at Rockley Sands in Poole and I was allowed to go, on my own, to the TV room to watch it - had to wriggle past a load of big blokes to get a view! My brother was too young and not allowed to join me. I can recall the cheers and groans especially at that last minute equaliser for the Germans.

Great memories! smile

Extugger replied on 08/07/2020 09:35

Posted on 08/07/2020 09:35

I remember watching the game (at the age of 9) with my Grandad (who hired a colour TV from Radio Rentals just for the match, but kept it afterwards) sat cross-legged on the front room floor, with all my Aunts, Uncles and half the street! It was a memorable occasion and I remember the cheering and groans throughout. The general consensus was Alan Ball covered every blade of grass (also mentioned in commentary) and he inspired me to be a footballer. "Some people are on the pitch...." is when I recall knocking my orange juice over on the carpet!!

papgeno replied on 12/07/2020 12:39

Posted on 12/07/2020 12:39

I missed it. I was driving back from a camping holiday in North Wales and only got a brief update when we stoped for a comfort stop. I think car radios weren't very common in those days, I certainly didn't have one.

My all time favourite player Ray Wilson was at left back and played in every match.

ABM replied on 01/11/2020 15:12

Posted on 01/11/2020 15:12

Saddened to hear this morning  ( 1 Nov 2020 ) that yet another member, one of the very few left, of that fine team of WINNERS, has been diagnosed with dementia.

Very best wishes for your future, Sir Bobby Charlton.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook