Olympic Games

ABM replied on 13/12/2020 23:29

Posted on 13/12/2020 23:29

I don't / cannot  partake in all the Olympic Games  But surely the latest addition, Competitive Break Dancing, is taking it a step too far ( pun intended )

Takethedogalong replied on 14/12/2020 00:12

Posted on 14/12/2020 00:12

I saw that as well ABM. Not quite sure sure which category of Faster, Higher, Stronger it will come under. To be fair, I don’t know much about Break Dancing, so will remain puzzled, but do a bit of reading up. 

Takethedogalong replied on 28/12/2020 17:33

Posted on 28/12/2020 17:33

I have really missed all the sport this year. Mainly the cycling events here in UK, being able to go to see a live football game.

I love watching the Olympics as well, although I don’t care for all the politics and huge spending that seems to accompany it nowadays. I just enjoy watching elite athletes doing what they do best, seeing all that effort and determination.

cyberyacht replied on 29/12/2020 08:40

Posted on 29/12/2020 08:40

The problem, as I see it, with some of these new "sports" is the subjective nature of the judging. Fastest, highest, furtherest, heaviest is unequivocal. This cannot be applied to synchronised swimming, surfing, ice dancing, skateboarding etc. I'm not a great follower of sport but ISTM that it detracts from the whole concept of the Olympics.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 29/12/2020 08:57

Posted on 29/12/2020 08:57

A lot are new sports🤷🏻‍♂️, for the purists-the fact there are no chariot races anymore must be a bummer☹️. In Ancient Greece even women could compete👍🏻

Takethedogalong replied on 29/12/2020 10:51

Posted on 29/12/2020 08:40 by cyberyacht

The problem, as I see it, with some of these new "sports" is the subjective nature of the judging. Fastest, highest, furtherest, heaviest is unequivocal. This cannot be applied to synchronised swimming, surfing, ice dancing, skateboarding etc. I'm not a great follower of sport but ISTM that it detracts from the whole concept of the Olympics.

Posted on 29/12/2020 10:51

You need to understand how they are “scored” to appreciate some sports fully. Some sports have two scoring systems, one a tariff of degree of difficulty (based upon things like horizontal and vertical pivots.....ie a double somersault is more difficult than a single somersault) and then their will be an “artistic” score, based upon interpretation of music or how a routine is linked or synchronised.

I have actually come to appreciate more of the “new” sports, such as the snow boarding, BMX etc....

Breaking will be a bit like Artistic Gymnastics, by 2024 they will have a tariff system, and an interpretation scoring system. It will require strength, endurance, flexibility, rhythm.

Squash players are very miffed to be overlooked again though.......

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook