100s of Red Kites but nothing else

peedee replied on 07/12/2021 11:38

Posted on 07/12/2021 11:38

Yesterday I was out in the Chilterns and there were just too many red kites to count. The sky was full of them whirling around and it was the most I have ever seen when out that way. I can only assume they were hungry in this cold weather and were taking the opportunity to look for food while there was a lull in wind speed? However I was struck by the lack of other similar birds. The odd seagull was observed but no crows and most of all I did not see, unusually, a single buzzard.

Do red kites drive out other birds????

peedee

RedKite replied on 07/12/2021 11:50

Posted on 07/12/2021 11:50

Possibly in large numbers. Well I was not one of those redkites as I cannot fly ha ha.

We have had more of them about this year even breeding around this area, we have  see a lot when we go to Villefrance for shopping they seem to like the hills around there.

JVB66 replied on 07/12/2021 12:10

Posted on 07/12/2021 12:10

The Chilterns' is one of the areas where the remote was reintroduced they have spread over large areas around there. We have had them for several years here ,they do not seem to worry other birds ,we often see them and Buzzerds being mombed by jackdaws and crows, the ring neck parrakeets seem unfased 

On a trip up the M40 a couple of years ago  OH counted forty or more as we headed to Oxford

peedee replied on 07/12/2021 13:24

Posted on 07/12/2021 13:24

The Chilterns, Goring, was the first place they were introduced into England in the late 80s by bringing over some from Spain. They have since spread far an wide.

peedee

cyberyacht replied on 07/12/2021 14:27

Posted on 07/12/2021 14:27

They are fairly common along the A34 corridor from Winchester up to Oxford. The odd one gets spotted right down here around the upper reaches of Portsmouth Harbour too although it's mostly kestrels and a few buzzards.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/12/2021 16:15

Posted on 07/12/2021 16:15

I have even seen a few as far north as MK. It would be odd that a reintroduction of variety of bird went so far as to dominate and drive out other varieties. I wonder if the sheer number of Red Kites is becoming a nuisance? We were in a Marlow park a couple of years ago and one tried to steal a chaps lunch out of his hand!

David

peedee replied on 07/12/2021 16:24

Posted on 07/12/2021 16:24

It would be odd that a reintroduction of variety of bird went so far as to dominate and drive out other varieties.

Since I posted the OP I have found at least one report that says other birds are driven out by large numbers of red kites. If this is true then the variety of birds in the Chilterns is definitely at risk.

peedee

Wherenext replied on 07/12/2021 16:34

Posted on 07/12/2021 16:34

Whilst Red Kites will eat very small live prey they are mainly eaters of carrion. They wouldn't normally take a full sized rabbit whereas a Buzzard would, so in small numbers they tend to co-exist.

However any bird of prey that congregates in large numbers and lives in that space will drive out other BoP. A lone Buzzard will hold it's own in a tussle with a Red Kite as its talons are bigger but RKs will gang up on Buzzards. It shouldn't really affect smaller songbirds etc. as they are not seen as competitors for food. If anything the smaller birds such as Blackbirds etc. shouldn't be prey for RKs unless they are unable to fly away or already dead.

The problem with the introduction of RKs has been that the become used to feeding stations for food so more and more of them are attracted to that area. If the feeding stations are stopped then they will sort themselves out with territories.

brue replied on 07/12/2021 16:41

Posted on 07/12/2021 16:41

I looked on the RSPB web site and quite a few are lost due to eating rats that have been poisoned, RedKites are avid feeders of carrion. 

We see the occasional one down the SW corridor along the A303 but not many have reached us yet. Generally it looks like there is competition for food and some "field food" eg mice aren't doing as well.

Fisherman replied on 07/12/2021 17:30

Posted on 07/12/2021 17:30

Ours are totally wild and co exist with buzzards and corvids here. We leave well alone and dont go for the RSPB "Cash crop" mentality.

brue replied on 07/12/2021 18:11

Posted on 07/12/2021 18:11

Don't understand your comments about cash crop? Are you talking about breeding/feeding station programmes where the public are involved? Here's some RSPB info link

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook