100s of Red Kites but nothing else

peedee replied on 07/12/2021 11:38

Posted on 07/12/2021 11:38

Yesterday I was out in the Chilterns and there were just too many red kites to count. The sky was full of them whirling around and it was the most I have ever seen when out that way. I can only assume they were hungry in this cold weather and were taking the opportunity to look for food while there was a lull in wind speed? However I was struck by the lack of other similar birds. The odd seagull was observed but no crows and most of all I did not see, unusually, a single buzzard.

Do red kites drive out other birds????

peedee

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 23/01/2022 13:46

Posted on 23/01/2022 12:58 by mickysf

Yes, R2Bs I do but like with red kites we need to reintroduce some species we previously eradicated. This also entails correcting or making the environment right again for them to establish and then they can recolonise other areas naturally. It’s not many decades ago that red kites were abundant even within our cities. 
Out of interest I’ve just got back from Fryup in the NYMs and a buzzard was circling high in the sky. The highlight however was a barn owl which flew alongside the car for about 200 metres before veering off into an old barn on a farm near the Cycle Hub. Beautiful!

Posted on 23/01/2022 13:46

A little tale re Barn owls-I live in a really rural area with many really old barns & the population of Barn Owls is healthy-not statistically driven but just what I see👍🏻. Every now & then on the cusp of dusk I see a Barn Owl quartering the meadow at the bottom of my garden & the other full moon night it was goose bump territory. I walked to the bottom of the garden to see if I could see any activity, within a few minutes or so I saw a Barn Owl flying low in the light of the full moon, it was beautiful & very very spooky in a positive way. The name screech Owl we know but Ghost Owl is another that fitted the silent glide over the meadow with the moon being shone on its back I was in awe of that beauty, I’m expecting it’ll be my once in a lifetime marvel.

DEBSC replied on 23/01/2022 15:09

Posted on 23/01/2022 15:09

I remember in the early 90s we were visiting our in laws in Berkshire and my father in law called us into the garden to see a pair of red kites circling over head. We had never seen one before, over a few years we saw more of them from their garden. Now, as others have said they are a very common site overhead when we are travelling in that area. A true success story. Never seen any near us in Devon though. 

As kids we would very often go up to the barn and look for owl pellets, easy to find in those days. Then we would spend ages pulling them apart to sort out the bones, if we found a mouse skull we had struck gold. Easy to occupy kids in those days. But remember my aunt complaining if we forgot to cover the kitchen table with newspaper first!

ADP1963 replied on 24/01/2022 12:04

Posted on 24/01/2022 12:04

Rocky I will swap my Tawny Owl for your Barn Owl. Our tawny sits in our Rowan tree calling to it's mates for hours at a time. Even with double glazing he manages to make his presence heard. Love Owl's to bit's, but he is a noisy s*d.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/01/2022 13:12

Posted on 24/01/2022 12:04 by ADP1963

Rocky I will swap my Tawny Owl for your Barn Owl. Our tawny sits in our Rowan tree calling to it's mates for hours at a time. Even with double glazing he manages to make his presence heard. Love Owl's to bit's, but he is a noisy s*d.

Posted on 24/01/2022 13:12

Mmmmm, I’ll need to think about that. . .I’m done thinking s*d off😂😂. It wasn’t a hard decision ADP I’ve never suffered your close encounter but we regularly hear the Tawneys having a 4 way hoot off/toowit toowoo off, but it’s from far enough away to not be an issue. If it’s any help there are folk out there who’d love to be that close to nature🤷🏻‍♂️

ADP1963 replied on 24/01/2022 14:16

Posted on 24/01/2022 14:16

Yes wildlife is abundant here, but he is a noisy so and so. The female Sparrow Hawk uses the same tree to select her poor victim from, which more often than not is a Goldfinch.

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 24/01/2022 15:09

Posted on 24/01/2022 15:09

I’m afraid the smaller birds are the shrews & mice of the Avian world🤷🏻‍♂️

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook